Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ow Carp, eh crap, NO SAND!?! (tweak Q.)  (Read 1196 times)

Angellus

Ow Carp, eh crap, NO SAND!?! (tweak Q.)
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:53:59 am »

Hiya,

I started a new fortress just now, got everything nice and running, forges coming up (the whole reason I played this one!), and there seems to be not a tiny bit of sand!

Now I am the type of guy to kick out these little (well little, big) problems with tweak, but I do not know or cannot seem to find out how to create sand using tweak...

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ow Carp, eh crap, NO SAND!?! (tweak Q.)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:16 am »

Tweak's tile editing confuses me to no end, so I can't help you there, but why not just add the [SOIL_SAND] tag to whatever type of soil layer you have on that map?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:35:45 pm »

Hiya,

I started a new fortress just now, got everything nice and running, forges coming up (the whole reason I played this one!), and there seems to be not a tiny bit of sand!

Now I am the type of guy to kick out these little (well little, big) problems with tweak, but I do not know or cannot seem to find out how to create sand using tweak...

Are you absolutely sure? Can you see somewhere a sandy wall or something? Sometimes sand is found layers beneath the surface, my current fortress seemed to have no sand, until i simply found black sand when digging. Just reveal the map and look very closely, i'm sure you'll find it. (remember to not save the revealed map though)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:09 pm »

create sand using tweak...

I wasn't aware that tweak actually changed the type of tile, I was under the impression that all twek did was to edit things like temperature, occupation, aquifer presence etc.

Out of curiosity, what type of soil layer do you have?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:08 pm »

create sand using tweak...

I wasn't aware that tweak actually changed the type of tile, I was under the impression that all twek did was to edit things like temperature, occupation, aquifer presence etc.

Nope, theres a tag that makes things sand. Can you make BROOK type tiles sand?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »

DF associates a number with the various types of tiles available on your local map. If there are no sand tiles, then Tweak's Tile Edit cannot edit the sand into that area because the local tile number does not exist.

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 02:46:05 pm »

I had/have sandy loam, found sand eventually in a corner of the map, since I cant just let dwarves run in the open I have dug a tunnel trough to that part of the map and walled it in, staircase and voila :)
So, problem solved, just too bad you cant get sand with tweak :)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 05:17:22 pm »

DF associates a number with the various types of tiles available on your local map. If there are no sand tiles, then Tweak's Tile Edit cannot edit the sand into that area because the local tile number does not exist.

Actually, you're not entirely correct.  Set tile to type 05 01, set the biome index to 7 and the geo layer to 2, and you should get furrowed red sand. 

Changing biome to 7 and geo to 2 should change any soil into red sand.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:30:05 pm by Qmarx »