Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Real-life years  (Read 1795 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Real-life years
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:49:45 pm »

What is the longest time you spent on one fort? I want to know real-life time and the dwarf year. The two times are important because I once spent 5 hours on 1 df year, and another time I spent 3 hours on 2 df years. My longest time was 4 13 hour days. i got to 1055.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-life years
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »

My forts don't usually go for more than 5 years, but i've got a world that's in year 1080, and another that is close to 1070.
Magma is overrated.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:47:44 pm »

I'm keeping my current fort ticking over till the next release, and its now in the late 70s. My current project is hollowing out a neighbouring mountain to act as a water-tower.
Goblin 1 to Goblin 2 "Song, did that mountain just slosh?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:04 pm »

Goblin 1 to Goblin 2 "Song, did that mountain just slosh?

Goblin 2 to Goblin 1 "Never mind that, this lever is the most fun toy eveOHGODWH-"
*SLOSH*
And then the dozen waterproofed pumps start pulling all the water back up into the tower... Again...

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:03:21 pm »

I believe what you are describing is caused by different FPS values. When your fort only has 7 dwarves, the fps is very high and time moves faster because the game doesn't take as long to process all of the actions. When your fort has 100+ dwarves, the fps can be even 1/5 as fast as it was in the beginning. so you could start out and take an hour or two for a single year and a few years into your game, you could be taking many hours for even a season to go by depending on how good your computer is and how many dwarves and pets, etc. are in the game.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:06:04 pm »

What do you think 200 Dwarves would look like on a Cray X1?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:22:36 pm »

A blue screen of death. Anyhow, the longest I've had a fort together was 5 years, I think. I never get a spot with enough trouble. Finally find a rocky waste with no trees, and the only outside contact are other dwarves.

Shaden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:43 pm »

At least for me, the in game years start taking longer for all the time I spend doing stuff, paused for a reason or another. When you have seven dwarfs there isn't much to do, specially when everyone sleeps.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 03:06:35 am »

It all comes down to how mcu construction you do. At last this will change in the next release...

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:32:06 am »

Hooray for easy rectangles!!!  ;D ;D ;D

My longest-running fortress is currently in 1060. I also have 5 other fortresses that are in varying years. Most of them are for cheating/modding purposes, but now that I have a setup I'm content with, I'm considering cleaning them all up and having just the one world from now on.

I tend to spend either 2 hours (if I'm doing other things) or 8 hours (solid session) on DF. That's on weekends, at least.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:35:03 pm »

I believe what you are describing is caused by different FPS values. When your fort only has 7 dwarves, the fps is very high and time moves faster because the game doesn't take as long to process all of the actions. When your fort has 100+ dwarves, the fps can be even 1/5 as fast as it was in the beginning. so you could start out and take an hour or two for a single year and a few years into your game, you could be taking many hours for even a season to go by depending on how good your computer is and how many dwarves and pets, etc. are in the game.

Actually, my time was different because of time spent in pause. Sometimes, I'll sit paused for 2 hours, planning and thinking out my next move. Each fort I play goes quicker and quicker because I don't have to think THAT hard at things.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:49:07 pm »

Actually, my time was different because of time spent in pause. Sometimes, I'll sit paused for 2 hours, planning and thinking out my next move. Each fort I play goes quicker and quicker because I don't have to think THAT hard at things.

I'm moving my house fel to G6.  Your move.
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:45:34 pm »

What do you think 200 Dwarves would look like on a Cray X1?
Really, really slow. The power of the Cray lies in a million small CPUs. DF is not multithreaded.