Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeasts arn't so "mega"  (Read 3018 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
Megabeasts arn't so "mega"
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:47:26 am »

I had my first hydra visit at Elisrithol today. I was shitting brix after it exploded one of my war dogs, who heroicly distracted the beast so that the City liason (I would reload the last save if kibby kakes died) could get away. Then it finally aproached my gates. One weapon trap killed it. Although it had an artifact mechanism and was rigged to 10 obsidian shortswords, it only took one trap to kill a freakin hydra.

Anybody else able to fell megabeasts so easily?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:00:40 pm by DwarfMan69 »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts arn't so "mega"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:52 am »

A hyrda finally showed up at my fortress the other day.

Now, my fortress (The same one from "Epic Failures" actually) is completely walled in. It has three bridges for traders to get it, plus an aqueduct that doubles as a gate (walled off with floodgates and flooded, with an aqueduct above.)

At the time the Hydra arrived, my fort was in "Don't bug me" mode, with all the drawbridges raised and the floodgates closed. The hydra gets to work busting up the floodgates. It takes a long time, they were pretty good floodgates and mechanisms.

It is distracted by the floodgates. I re-draft my 7 marksdwarves. They grab their adamantine crossbows and their adamantine bolts. My guys lower the drawbridges, I send the squad across, and they are stationed on the aqueduct's upper wall.

Three *bolts* later the Hydra is dead. I queue up some floodgates and mechanisms (they were forced off a cliff after being destroyed due to the aqueduct's water pressure).

"Oh". I think. "Well, time for my legendary leatherworker to start making shoes!"

And that's how my fortress got *Hydra Leather Shoes*.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:56:49 am »

I just killed a Dragon with 2 soldiers. Ok, they were Champions swordwarf, but I killed this Dragon!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:39 pm »

Champion Dragon turns up, tries to get into the fortress.  Makes it past 2 stone-fall traps and dies.

Just...

I had cage traps just after!  I wanted a tame dragon!  I didn't think a flimsy old stonefall trap using bog-standard mechanisms and parts would kill a DRAGON!
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:45:39 pm »

the first time a dragon visited me it brought my population from 80+ to 1

it was awesome

but yeah, now that I know what I'm doing with the game, it's no big thing

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 02:51:38 pm »

What was the dragon's cause of death? Gluttony?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »

There are several very simple ways to make the game harder. Stop using traps. Stop using moats, drawbridges and other defensive structures. Stop training your military.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:24:02 pm »

There are several very simple ways to make the game harder. Stop using traps. Stop using moats, drawbridges and other defensive structures. Stop training your military.
I find that if you leave your starting seven dwarves to stagnate at the wagon and don't make any attempt to provide them with food the game becomes pretty challenging, too. ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:28:43 pm »

Stop doing anything? =)

I think it's quite strange to speak of balance in the alpha stage. So we should literally limit ourselves to make megabeasts more fun. This is one way.

But there's another way: mod better and more terrible enemies in. They will rock your fortress.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:32:22 pm »

I find that if you leave your starting seven dwarves to stagnate at the wagon and don't make any attempt to provide them with food the game becomes pretty challenging, too. ;)
I read somewhere on the forums (or maybe the wiki) of an attempt like that. The dwarves hunted vermin for food, played in the rain and developed insane social skills. Since the "fortress" didn't produce any wealth, no external threats ever appeared. Everybody was ecstatic. I think elven forest retreats work in a somewhat similar manner.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »

Obviously we need a gigabeast.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:00:47 pm »

Obviously we need a gigabeast.

Bah! I want terabeasts around.

As long as no one short changes me with a gigibeast I'll be happy.

[End binary/base 10 joke now]

Anyways, it would be sweet if multi-tile beasts were implemented though. Although I have a feeling they'd be impossible to code. And they might be better saved for the graphics arc.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:51 pm »

heck with gigabeast, lets jump straight to yottabeast

My first experience with a megabeast was a bronze colossus.  It was killed in one strike by an expert axedwarf with an ☼Adamantine Battle Axe☼

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 04:18:39 pm »

so would semimegabeasts be kilobeasts or kibibeasts?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 06:04:15 pm »

Bah, I'll make a googolplexbeast!
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: [1] 2