Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS Independent Gameplay  (Read 2178 times)

Temrek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FPS Independent Gameplay
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:27 am »

We all know that when a lot of things happen in DF, the gameplay slows. But should it not be possible to adjust game speed after FPS? So if 100 FPS is normal, a miner will dig twice as fast at 50 FPS. This could apply to everything, from task length to moment speed.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Independent Gameplay
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:11:43 am »

The game already plays slower at lower framerates...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:48 am »

It looks like you don't get what Temrek said.
He meant <FPS => >speed. But I think that a lot of new operations caused by new calcutalions of order of movement/pathing with all new speeds will further decrease framerate. Also note that it won't affect time/date as well, so the players with bad FPS will have much more actions during a year thus making the game much easier (more ways to get new crafts before caravan arrives, faster training for all skills and military too, thus making it much easier to dispatch sieges etc.). This would lead to people asking toady for a way to decrease fps instead of trying to increase it... x_x
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:13 am »

Why would lower FPS mean higher speed? Your FPS goes down because your computer is busy calculating everything that's going on and each frame takes longer to make, thus there being fewer per second.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:22:39 am »

We all know that when a lot of things happen in DF, the gameplay slows. But should it not be possible to adjust game speed after FPS? So if 100 FPS is normal, a miner will dig twice as fast at 50 FPS. This could apply to everything, from task length to moment speed.

FPS in this case isn't really display frames per second, it's game turns per second.  In Doom or Crysis or whatever, the big CPU hog is graphics.  It knows where everything is, it just takes a way to figure out how to show it from your point of view.  Figuring out how to display it is the bottleneck that slows everything else down.

DF is different.  There's no point of view, no graphics, really, so drawing things is fast and easy.  The bottleneck is figuring out what thousands of characters (Dwarves, goblins, animals, etc) are doing, checking each 1/7 of water to figure out what it's doing, etc. 

If you make the dwarves faster, it will be doing those calculations more often, which means slowing the game down even more.  That will slow the game right back down to where it was because the bottleneck is in the calculations you want to do more often.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:33 am »

I think the OP's suggerstion  is fantastic: let's keep DF independent of any FPS game play aspects.

"Urist Hammerdabbler has completed BFG9000BC, the bad-ass crossbow. It menaces with spikes of massive energy."
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:20:52 pm »

I think the OP's suggerstion  is fantastic: let's keep DF independent of any FPS game play aspects.

You are joking, right? Uh, atleast put a smiley next time, ok?
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »

Isn't there already an option for the graphical FPS as well as one for the actual turns per second?

Aren't they already in the init settings?

Eh?
Eh!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »

Only for displaying them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 05:09:31 pm »

I believe that was a witty play on words regarding the various ways to interpret the acronym "FPS". The one presumably intended by the original poster is "Frames Per Second". Another popular one is "First-Person Shooter".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:55 am »

His idea seems to be to compensate for lower FPS by making everything faster. So if your FPS is cut in half, the day only takes half as much frames, dwarfs move double distance per frame, jobs require only half the time et cetera. The net effect would be that the time something takes in seconds remains roughly constant. The only problem I can see is that this requires a lot of extra calculations to adjust the speed, so in effect the FPS may drop a bit more then normal (which gets fixed by speeding everything up) and that some things might become less acuarate (I'm mainly thinking Fluid Mechanics here).

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 04:12:39 pm »

I assumed he meant that if a timer on a dwarf's job is 12 ticks, and your FPS is the baseline of 100, the dwarf will complete the task in 12 ticks. But if your FPS is 50 (half as fast), your dwarf will complete the task in 6 ticks (twice as fast). If your FPS were at -10%, your jobs would be done in 10% fewer ticks.

This way, it would take exactly the same amount of player time to do a task, whether your FPS were 100 or 10. Of course, in cases where tasks take only one tick, you wouldn't see much difference. So by the time your legendary dwarves were churning out crafts in just a couple ticks, there wouldn't be much of a realtime savings.

And year length would of course be measured in ticks, so if your FPS were 10 you'd effectively be getting 10x as much done in that year.
But what if year length was affected by FPS as well, such that if your FPS were 20 then 5 ticks would be added to the clock for every tick of game time that passed.

It would screw things up royally. But it would be an interesting solution for people who wanted to run full embark maps with 1000 dwarves.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:41 pm »

Man, I've got to try that in Crysis... I'll handle the basic graphic unplayability of it by making everybody run faster.  We'll never have FPS problems in any game ever again.

/sarcasm

I'm sorry I can't find the correct words to describe why this doesn't work.  I'm really trying

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 10:51:15 pm »

When it's blatantly obvious there's no need for smileys
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:20 am »

While I think it's still not a good idea, some of you seem to have misinterpreted the OP...

(Or not, but this is how I interpreted the idea)

It's not a case of making tasks take fewer ticks, but more a case of introducing 'frame-skip'.

This would be simple at a limit of 100 FPS, because with frame-skip, if you're running at 50 FPS, the game would 'skip' every second frame, allowing the game to look like it's running at normal speed, if in a somewhat jerky manner. If you were running at 1 FPS, the game would display 1 frame, skip the other 99, then display another frame. True, this would result in 'teleporting' dwarves, but hey, you save a bit of time.

After a while it would get annoying, as all frame-skip does, but maybe if you consistently get 60 FPS or so, it would be useful as an optional feature.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!
Pages: [1] 2