Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading  (Read 1044 times)

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:55:25 pm »

So, trading is a hassle for me. How exactly do I get my dwarfs to get rid of boulders? I use the smooth command, and they smooth *around* the boulders, but don't move the boulders, which is rather annoying. As a result, my trade depot is rather inaccessible. How do I make sure that the wagon can get to my depot? Where does it spawn?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:20:44 pm »

When all else fails, construct a floor on top of the boulder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:11 pm »

The wagon will spawn wherever it damn well pleases, which is most often not where you want it.

The dwarves should be smoothing boulders, I don't know why they wouldn't...  You are placing a smooth designation on top of the boulder itself, aren't you?  Not a road?

Anyways, there's a trick to getting wagons to spawn where you want them.  Find some path to the edge of the map, and then build walls along that path with two spaces in between each wall section.  This will create a single path that wagons can travel through, so they will always take that route.

A more extreme version is to create an elevated trade depot and then have a bridge extending to the edge of the map.  They'll spawn on top of the bridge.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »

That's odd- dwarves should smooth boulders down too- try to make sure that you have designated only the boulders.

As for wagons, it's random; they will appear from any point along the edge that the depot can be accessed from. You can control this by digging small holes two squares apart from each other right at the edge of the map, and leaving a gap where you want them to show up. That won't stop mule-traders from leaving any any direction they please.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:33:26 pm »

The wagon will spawn wherever it damn well pleases, which is most often not where you want it.

Wrong. Trade wagons spawn wherever your depot is accessible from.

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 12:57:47 am »

I installed tweak for the sole purpose of getting rid of the boulders, and after I cleared a path, the smooth command magically started working. Rather annoying.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:44:27 am »

I had a similar problem. I embarked to a location that was cliff-a-licious, so to speak, and realized that would pose a problem to wagons. What I had not foreseen until I had carved several ramps (most of them are only two Z levels high, thankfully) was that there was a horrible boulder forest of doom. I decided to smooth the three tiles around the perimeter of the map (works according to the Wiki, if I'm reading it right) and to hack the trees down around the edges of the north side.

Then, to throw a wrench in my plans (this is the first year), a cougar shows up in the northwest corner of the map, ready to tear my poor woodcutter and amateur engraver a new one. (The cook is the only one with any military skill yet - this because he encountered a pair of kobold ambushers and he who sees the intruder gets to beat the intruder down). After going through the trouble to de-designate all the smoothing and cutting jobs, I look for him again and the stupid cat has thrown himself down a cliff into one of the many funny little holes dotting my landscape.