Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Aquatic Defense  (Read 1559 times)

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Dwarven Aquatic Defense
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:44:56 am »

Based on research I have done myself, and replies on a different thread of mine, I have come up with
a effective dwarven defense strategy! Basically, the two most important parts are...
1. Underground rooms that are fillable with water that you can channel enemies through.
2. Military dwarves with good swimming skill.

Basically, the concept is based upon the facts that creatures with no swimming skill are
severely slowed down in water, and the fact that creatures who become stunned in water start to
drown. By fighting your enemies in a room filled with 5 or 6 depth water(not 7, the dwarves with drown!)
with dwarves with good swimming skill, the enemies will be very weakened compared to your dwarves.
Additionally, your dwarves will become more skilled by learning swimming, and if they manage to stun the
enemy, it will drown to death if there are no stairs nearby.

So, do you think this is a viable defensive strategy, or do you think it is the dumbest thing you
have ever heard? Take your pick!
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Aquatic Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:49:55 am »

everyone will die, including your dwarves.

you need a draining system.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:58:53 am »

Fighting dwarves get tired. Tired dwarves drown, even in 5/7 water. You might as well just fight them on dry land, unless you want to drown the goblins instead of merely fighting them in water.

Even then, unless you have a good flooding system, drowning goblins is generally inefficient.

By good flooding system, I mean something that can get your selected death area up to 6/7 water before the goblins can do damage. So, basically, you have to dump the ocean on them before they drown. Even using 6 direct drains from a river won't do the trick fast enough.

It'd be much more effective with lava. Of course, you have to think about the dwarves melting to death as well...
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Even then, unless you have a good flooding system, drowning goblins is generally inefficient.

Or a permanently flooded room to drop them in?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:57 pm »

Fighting dwarves get tired. Tired dwarves drown, even in 5/7 water. You might as well just fight them on dry land, unless you want to drown the goblins instead of merely fighting them in water.

By good flooding system, I mean something that can get your selected death area up to 6/7 water before the goblins can do damage. So, basically, you have to dump the ocean on them before they drown. Even using 6 direct drains from a river won't do the trick fast enough.

It'd be much more effective with lava. Of course, you have to think about the dwarves melting to death as well...

I've got a reservoir set up above my forts entrance way built specifically for drowning goblins. it's a total of 50 tiles of 7/7 water that will drain out of two floodgates to the accompanying holding area that makes up my forts entrance way in about a minute, with goblin death followed shortly after. Ive even got a pump in place to suck all the water back into the reservoir.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:44:45 pm »

It's rather pointless considering a single legendary+5 shield user can take out whole sieges alone, or a corridoar of traps can do the same thing and both are much easier to set up and manage then the aquatic defense system.

If you want to do it just for fun, it could work OK but the risk of drowning your own dwarves is too high for my liking.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 06:53:59 pm »

I say drop the attackers down a 4z fall into a room with your military standing by to destroy the wounded/dead/knocked out attackers. A swimming pool could be used to train your dwarves. Also, pumps that are pumping anything can give you free training too.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:16:36 pm »

One of my last defenses had the brook (The latest has a portion of the ocean) right over the main entrance, separated only by a retracting bridge.  Nothing says hello than a full 7/7 levels of water dropped 2 plus z levels on you.

With plenty of drainage into a chasm or using pumps, it works fine I have only lost 5 to the set up but the returns in the iron that I can't mine my self more than makes up for it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 10:32:59 pm »

I use spikes, lots and lots of spikes.

Half of the edges of my map lead up a single slope (which I then channeled, etc. down to a single tile that all gobos must pass through) and then set upright spikes in the preceeding 53 tiles (about 5x10 in size) and the three tiles after the pressure plate with normal weapon traps.  First gobo to hit the plate kills or seriously wounds all his fellow allies.  Unfortunately there's a slight delay, so it's possible for more than one gobo to trigger the plate before it resets, sending those spikes shooing up out of the ground, but 9 times out of 10 I get more than I lose.