Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma Help  (Read 2159 times)

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Help
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:51:07 am »

Ok, I found my first magma pipe!!!!  Woot! 

However, I've looked all over, and can't find out how I might get *access* to it to create magma forges, etc.  Can anyone point me to a guide or something?  I'm pretty sure it involves bauxite floodgates, I'm just not sure how :-)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:19 am »

Keep in mind that for a workshop to have magma access, it merely needs to have part of the workshop overhanging a channel filled with magma. No bauxite required unless you want to make magma control schemes. Usually what people do is dig a tunnel from the magma pipe to their workshop location. Then one z-level above the tunnel above the magma is the room where the workshops go. You channel into the pope so you get an empty space where you can see magma through, and make a magma forge on top of the channel. Not in the channel.

Be sure not to fill the tunnel with magma 'till it is all completed, and you have an expendable miner/access to a way of opening the last tile from any location except for in the tunnel.

Try looking at the Dwarf Fortress Map Archives to get an idea of the relation between magma and the forges.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:42:04 am »

Thanks Duke!  I followed the pipe up, and found an open area at the top!  Thank you so much!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »

You could also, you know, mine towards it. Magma doesn't flow up so you don't need to take the same precautions as you do with water. Dig a staircase down a level, mine towards the pipe and under any forges you'll want to build and finally use a(probably unloved) miner-dwarf (he'll flee the slow-moving lava up the nearest staircase. Or get lost and burn to death) to breach the pipe and, god willing, fire-imps wont notice and invade your fortress.
why are you bothering with following it to the surface basically.
Also
You channel into the pope so you get an empty space where you can see magma through, and make a magma forge on top of the channel.
Yessss
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:08:07 pm by Skizelo »

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:23:05 pm »

You channel into the pope

I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that one go.  :)
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »

Or get lost and burn to death

I lost a fortress this way. I dug the tunnel and build a door to prevent to magma from flooding my fortress (I didn't think about staircases or about building two door to make an airlock.) The miner dug the last tile, start running, and then... His two feet burned! He fell! (Of course, how do you want to run with no feet?) He fell on the door's tile, blocking it, keeping it open for the magma! The magma run in my booze's stockpile, which of course was just next to the door, and then just flood everything exept my workshop's area and killing 80 out of 110 dwarves. (All exept my military, they lives in a castle aboveground).

I organize a huge fight against all my goblins and then abandon the fortress.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:43:23 pm »

Also, before you breach the magma vault, you should probably put up a magma-proof grate or bars in the magma channel, that way the imps and other nasties can't sneak into your forge area. I've already had one smithing operation trashed.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

Make sure you are able to defend yourself when dealing with magma. If you don't pay attention, a magma man may enter your fort any possibly destroy a military-lacking fortress that just got lucky with the magma. Fire imps are relatively simple (just draft 2 peasants to deal with one imp.) Anything else is pretty hard to kill (If you have a woodcutter, the WC and your miners could kill and magma or fire man)
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »

I'm just jealous. Using regional prospector I find embark areas that absolutely have magma, but even with a surface volcano specified on the map, I can't find a thing once I'm in game.

One map I picked was supposed to have a chasm, a volcano, and an underground lake.  Yeah.  What I got was a big hole (okay, a chasm) and ONE square of 7/7 water buried underground with 6 to 8 frogmen in it or something like that. (and no magma)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »

Are you sure you posistioned your fortress site over the red... squiggly equals sign? (gotta learn my keypad) If not, you just got massively short-changed. As in, bug-level shortchanged. I'm still cheesed that I once loaded a magma vent sans chasm.
Also, Sheb, you have to respect a dwarf who, in his dying moments, made sure that everyone else shall suffer as he has.. You just have to!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 09:03:50 pm »

Tilde! IT'S CALLED FRIKKIN' TILDE!!!~~~

Ahem...

@Brian: You might need to look down a z-level or two... from memory, magma that reaches the surface gets instantly revealed on embark, but if there's nothing on the surface you may need to do some exploratory mining. Once you hit the wall, though, you'll know.

If all else fails, there's always reveal.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:24:43 pm »

Well even though the symbol I had (through prospector) indicated surface magma, I did dig down and I found nada...

I've generated a new world and I'll try there now.

Edit: Oh yeah and I tried reveal too.  I put a dig designation at the bottom Z level every few squares and revealed the entire freaken map!  Nada.

Edit Edit: Okay side note.. just how the heck do you get a desert where the top layer is an aquifer? Okay back to searching.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:27:44 pm by Brian »

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:41:03 pm »

It's not necessarily on the bottom level. In fact, you should only look one or two z-levels below the surface.

Also, if you want to reveal an entire level, you can just designate the whole thing for digging. Much faster. However, this is not recommended as it can prevent the trigger which allows you to build magma forges/furnaces, as well as the hidden fun stuff that comes with adamantine.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:33:19 am »

Tilde! IT'S CALLED FRIKKIN' TILDE!!!~~~

That's the one squiggly line, what about the two?  ≈≈≈≈≈
*GRIN*

Alt-247 is not a tilde.

Makrond