Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When do the goblins start coming?  (Read 2222 times)

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When do the goblins start coming?
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:00:21 am »

My fortress has existed for 2 in-game years and i have yet to be attacked or ambushed by goblins is it because my population is not high enough? (I have at the moment have 37 dwarves that came out of 2 migrant waves)

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
Re: When do the goblins start coming?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:18:22 am »

Ambushes can happen randomly; they most often come with caravans but they don't have to.

Sieges don't start until your population is over 80 or so.

Also, if Goblins weren't listed in the nearby civilisations when you embarked, you won't get any.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:40:38 am »

Dont worry, if youve got humans and elfs youve probably got gobos, I myself started in a isolated edge of a custom (67*127) map. It took till the 3rd year for humans to arrive. With them I got about 4 ambushing goblin baby snatchers (okayits not a real ambush but they did stealth into my for and kill a engraver).

In otherwords give it a bit more and see what happens. If you finish your fourth year 1054 without any gob activity at all you may be isolated from them. However this is very unlikely in any area that your allowed to embark to anyway (without modding) as mountains and seas are the only thing that stops gobs.

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 12:48:27 pm »

Well I have yet to get any humans and also I'm in a mostly mountains area but there is a little land.
I'm starting to get bored with the only foes being groundhogs.  :(

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »

Get the elves or humans to siege you. Just kill off their caravan year after year. And I don't know if this works for a double effect, but seize their goods and then kill them.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »

Goblins come when you least expect it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »

Elves and humans don't siege you in this version.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:04 pm »

You'll be suprised. My fort didn't get a seige for 4 years.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:20:38 am »

and my first one has been the victim of scouting parties of ~20 gobbos from the very first autumn I had, I'm currently trying to deal with tantrum swarms, one guy's currently got orders to go to our drow swimming pool as soon as he stops killing my off-duty military dwarves and whining about his injured hand (he never was a concert pianist anyway  :-\)
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:49:39 am »

AHHH! O.O Well, normally the goblins send one squad, then two, etc. etc. etc. However, it's not always so predictable, My first siege in this fort was 4 squads and 2 troll groups, scared the bajeebus out of me... third year too.

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 05:48:17 am »

*sigh* Well my fortress has just loss all its dwarves to hunger, time for a new fortress...

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:58:59 am »

To hunger? How long did that take? And how?

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:45:01 am »

It's surprisingly easy when you have no idea about farming. I lost many a fortress to hunger before I learned about plump helmets.

Though I doubt this was the case here.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 09:48:18 am »

and my first one has been the victim of scouting parties of ~20 gobbos from the very first autumn I had, I'm currently trying to deal with tantrum swarms, one guy's currently got orders to go to our drow swimming pool as soon as he stops killing my off-duty military dwarves and whining about his injured hand (he never was a concert pianist anyway  :-\)

I've never had one tantrum in my fort, only insanities from failed artifacts. All my dwarves seem to love my legendary dining room, even though it kinda sucks and I have no idea how it acheived that status. But all my dwarves are ecstatic, and so am I.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 10:59:58 am »

Ambushes need to get changed to Assaults, since noone ambushes the entrance of a fort with thirty goblins next to them.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2