Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unexpected Surprises  (Read 3786 times)

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
Unexpected Surprises
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:43:57 pm »

So, in a fortress of 10 years, one of my hunters ran into a goblin ambush after trying to take down a goat. I immediately enrolled him into the military, because he was in a corner of the map and dwarves who run away seem to get beaten up more than soldiers.

So he walks up to the squad of Goblin Lashers...

And kills every single one of them without taking a scratch. Then the goat becomes enraged, and he also takes it down without any scratches. He becomes a Champion, and I finally looked at his skills.

Oh. He's a Legendary Wrestler. He had been all along. Apparently, 10 years of beating up animals gave him an edge.

I immediately outfitted him with masterpiece steel armor. In future conflicts, he was often the only military squad left alive.

So, any surprises that you have encountered that absolutely amazed you?
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Anotu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Surprises
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:39 pm »

I was ambushed out of nowhere just as the traders were passing my bridge, three squads of goblins. Yikes, raise the drawbridge!

Now just at that moment "The touch" started playing on veoh and one lone dwarven fortress guard charged out over the bridge just before it raised. Oh he's dead, but no, he had the touch, he had the power (yeah!). He charges up to a goblin, they flash for a split second and the goblin flies over into a tree and explodes. This process is repeated again, and again, and again as he single handedly defeated all three squads just as the army arrieved, and the guy didn't have a single bruise!

The dwarf was promptly renamed 'Optimus'

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:04:31 pm »

REALLY off topic, sorry

but RPhazon, do you play team fortress 2 often?

Back on topic:

I had just used one of the seeded worlds that promised to be chock full of GCS's.
Goodie, I thought. I started a fortress, nothing special. I was getting bored, so I assigned a dwarf to military service. After exploring for a little bit, I encountered a GCS. I wasn't really expecting that, because I thought the maker of the seeder might have been exaggerating. I told that dwarf to attack the GCS, and having no real weapon, he wrestled the spider, and managed to break three of the spider's limbs before being rapinated. This guy had minimal skill in wrestling!!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:11:09 pm »

In one fortress, I decided to have several five-tile wide smoothed walls for showing the history of the fort every year. For this project, I had one of the starters start off with five points in stone detailing.

Now I don't remember if this guy got much extra in terms of levels, but when he started to engrave the middle engraving turned out to be a masterpiece rendition of several dwarves. Wow, what a perfect thing to remember the first year by.

Also, the fortress guard turning into a full squad of champion wrestlers. Any criminal would be beat into next week for even looking at a piece of furniture funny.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:16:13 pm »

I was ambushed by goblins, lots of them.  The only choice was to recall my forces and raise the bridge.  This mostly was successful, but one dwarf limped too slow and was left outside.

He proceeded to run towards a line of traps, dragging the goblin force in behind him, killing 1/3 of them.  He then ran BACK through it, killing another 1/3.  He then ran directly along another set of traps, killing most of the rest.  The goblins then fled my fortress, fearing the wrath of a pansy dwarf.  They ran across more traps in the field, they lost an entire squad of archers.

I gave the dwarf a burial chamber made of gold.  He has so far not had need of it.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:15 pm »

I saved my game just before an ambush (accidentally). When i reloaded it up the first thing that heppens is the ambush is spotted and the mason who sees them is massacred and sent flying across the map.

I dont really care much... seeing how he was going out to FISH instead of building my second wall line. So I ingore his death and draft my military, all of who are relatively experienced wrestlers but have no armour, except for one dwarf fully fitted out in adamantine. I send the armoured dwarf out first and he kills a few gobbos, but I notice he is taking an exceptionally long time to do it, I look at him and he's unwounded but then notice in his inventoy he is holding neither the adamantine shield OR his spear (which I had assigned him to get).

Dumbstruck, I look through his inventory more closely and find that he is holding TWO backpack, one on his upper body (where it should be) and another... in his hand.... I turn on combat reports and am flooded with:

"The Elite Guard Commander strikes at the goblin in the upper body with his swordfish leather backpack."
"The shot glances away"

This continues for about 3 pages until ANOTHER ambush shows up.. this time with pikemen. The pikeman and hammermen all swarm on top of him and eventually cut him down.

I was... well.. there isnt any way to describe it. I couldn't believe he had chosen to carry a backpack into battle which contained 3 berries over a shield and spear.

Needless to say the next sequence of keys was Control-Alt-Delete-T-(Click)-Delete-Enter

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:54:15 pm »

Have a pig at my current fortress who killed a goblin pikemen. He lost his right eye but still is our favored pet even when he passes out from the pain.

Drolias Flamegut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:50:26 am »

Have a pig at my current fortress who killed a goblin pikemen. He lost his right eye but still is our favored pet even when he passes out from the pain.

Engraved on the pen wall is an exceptionally designed image of a spider web by Charlotte Cavatica. On the spider web is written "SOME PIG."

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:55:56 am »

but RPhazon, do you play team fortress 2 often?

Aye, that I do. In the past week alone I've played about 30 hours of it.
Summer vacation is fun.

Anyways, the Champion Wrestler I was talking about? He single-handedly defeated another 5 squads in a goblin siege, fell asleep afterwards, and when he got up he beat up another goblin ambush.

He is so hardcore that it isn't funny. I wonder if he can beat up a Hydra or a Bronze Colossus...
<Zaratustra> you die

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »

I once got a legendary engraver, and thought "well, hey, how about engraving all my walls? It'll make my dwarves happy!"

Bad move.

I couldn't dig anywhere without defacing a masterpiece. It would instantly make him go berserk.

An believe me, that guy was hardcore.
Oh, yes.

He killed my entire smallish fort of 30 dwarves, many of them with armor, weapons and an experience with weapons. He even killed my legendary record keeper/miner leader WITH ONE HIT.

I abandoned soon after.

As you can guess, I was slightly surprised.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:59:14 pm »

I had a fortress which for some reason had to be abandoned.  When I closed out, everything was dead except for a pack of 4-5 hunters. 

When I reclaimed, unlike other dwarves who just sit around, the hunters were still hunting.  Something would wander onto the map, and I would get a message about "the mountain goat has been struck down" and I'd scroll over and these hunters would be bludgeoning animals right and left.  Then they'd slip back into ambush-mode and disappear.  The only living things on my map that were safe were my own citizens . . . hoary marmots fell like dominoes . . . mountain goats were thrown bodily from cliffs . . . wolves and deer alike were chased down and ripped to shreds . . . eventually, when I got to goblin sieges, the hunters would simply decloak and mow through them like grass before vanishing again . . .

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 02:03:41 pm »

I had a fortress which for some reason had to be abandoned.  When I closed out, everything was dead except for a pack of 4-5 hunters. 

When I reclaimed, unlike other dwarves who just sit around, the hunters were still hunting.  Something would wander onto the map, and I would get a message about "the mountain goat has been struck down" and I'd scroll over and these hunters would be bludgeoning animals right and left.  Then they'd slip back into ambush-mode and disappear.  The only living things on my map that were safe were my own citizens . . . hoary marmots fell like dominoes . . . mountain goats were thrown bodily from cliffs . . . wolves and deer alike were chased down and ripped to shreds . . . eventually, when I got to goblin sieges, the hunters would simply decloak and mow through them like grass before vanishing again . . .

Thats awesome, it's like as if even though you abandoned, they weren't ready to give up the fort just yet.
obles make fine firewood.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 02:36:43 pm »

Thats awesome, it's like as if even though you abandoned, they weren't ready to give up the fort just yet.

Or maybe they just didn't want to go back to the mountainhomes where ripping apart animals begets a hammering.

Hey, they're happy, they can live off the strewn booze barrels, they make their own food, and they can abuse all the animals they want. Why leave?
<Zaratustra> you die

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 02:43:34 pm »

That's really awesome actually, I think I'll make a fortress where this is the goal.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »

I saved my game just before an ambush (accidentally). When i reloaded it up the first thing that heppens is the ambush is spotted and the mason who sees them is massacred and sent flying across the map.

I dont really care much... seeing how he was going out to FISH instead of building my second wall line. So I ingore his death and draft my military, all of who are relatively experienced wrestlers but have no armour, except for one dwarf fully fitted out in adamantine. I send the armoured dwarf out first and he kills a few gobbos, but I notice he is taking an exceptionally long time to do it, I look at him and he's unwounded but then notice in his inventoy he is holding neither the adamantine shield OR his spear (which I had assigned him to get).

Dumbstruck, I look through his inventory more closely and find that he is holding TWO backpack, one on his upper body (where it should be) and another... in his hand.... I turn on combat reports and am flooded with:

"The Elite Guard Commander strikes at the goblin in the upper body with his swordfish leather backpack."
"The shot glances away"

This continues for about 3 pages until ANOTHER ambush shows up.. this time with pikemen. The pikeman and hammermen all swarm on top of him and eventually cut him down.

I was... well.. there isnt any way to describe it. I couldn't believe he had chosen to carry a backpack into battle which contained 3 berries over a shield and spear.

Needless to say the next sequence of keys was Control-Alt-Delete-T-(Click)-Delete-Enter

I had one fight with a -narrow leather shoe-, actually she managed to kill of an entire building filled with goblins with nothing but her shoe, i think i did make her a proficient wrestler at embark though.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: [1] 2