Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Communist" fortress  (Read 3577 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Communist" fortress
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:12:36 pm »

I'm going to start one. It will start with 50 dwarves (thanks tweak utility) and each will only 1 skill point in either mining, lumberjacking (hah) or farming. Every member of the fort will have almost every job enabled.

This will be my first time starting this kind of fort. Does anybody have any suggestions, or tips?

I have sand (I think) so I will try and make lots of glass stuff to trade.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: "Communist" fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:18:18 pm »

Mod in dwarven vodka.  Keep a large government area off in one corner where you keep your favorite dwarves and they sit around and do nothing except hold parties all day.

Also, remember to bring lots of picks.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:30:11 pm »

You will need to build more production buildings then you would normally need. You have more dwarves doing essential labor but they do it much slower and at a much lower quality rating. Your crafts will be worth less, so you need more of them, your food will get cooked slower so you need more kitchens, your butchers will work slow so you need more of them to get corpses before they rot and so on.

If you want high quality armor and weapons, you need to import them from the dwarves. It's not worth trying to make your own without 'cheating' your own rules to get a specific dwarf in the forge all the time.

One plus you will have alot less stone, because all your miners will be low skilled (assuming you try and get picks for everyone instead of only getting 1 or 2). Of course as a downside you will have almost no ore either. importing metal will be needed if you plan on using it at all.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:41:17 pm »

Iron will not be a problem for me. I have babysnatching turned off, so the dead goblin armor should give me enough metal to work with (it always does  :P).
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »

Jobs: Don't forget to ensure your dwarves have something to do. If you have some spare dwarves, don't let them to be lazy. In the worst case they can mine the map for some stone, then dump it, and mine more. Or make blocks. And when you have a load of blocks, you can build something massive. It doesn't have to be useful, but it must be huge.

Industry: a lot of workshops, especially smelters and forges. Screw gold and other precious metals. Steel, iron, copper, bronze - this is what you need. If you want to carry the torch of revolution (of course you want!), make a lot of weapons, armors and siege weapons. Of course, you'll need a lot of food too. Fortunately, fields are not private property, so you don't have to bother with collectivisation. Just make sure your farm plots are big. If you have stockpiles to store all the plants you grow, fine. If not, just let it rot.

Society: Every dwarf should serve some period of time in the military. Everyone.
As Kagus suggested before, treat your clerks well. And don't overwork them!
All citizens are equal, some classes are just more suspicious. Fortunately, intelligentzia is almost nonexistant. Just give this philosopher a bed and maybe an office.
Beware of bourgeoisie! Don't let them own shops!
As for workers and farmers, treat them well. Ensure they have something to eat and much booze to drink and they'll be fine. As for quarters, they will not need luxury. Meager quarters will suffice.
Of course, every noble is an enemy of the people and should be killed. Fortunately, there are no nobles in your country. Of course, central commitee can send some of their people to ensure that everything going's well. You are to do as they say, as your career depends on them. If they want a golden statue in their room, they obviously need it. No, seriously. Dude, it's not that you're making this statue from your own gold, right? Just forge it and give it to them. That's right. And remember, they are not nobles.
Then there is the Party. Every citizen who's not too suspicious can join it. In fact - he should join it if he wants to achieve something. You made an artifact trinket? If you didn't join the Party, do it now. Really.

Architecture: As it have been said, no one will need luxury in their quarters. They are to be cheap.

Security: Remember about goblin imperialist threat! Build your cities easy to defend. Establish a secure perimeter to keep their out and your people in. That's right... You're not going to let people out, are you? What if they take a project of your new artifact sword and sell it to someone else? If somebody wants to visit the surface, he'd better have a good reason. And be a loyal, not suspicious citizen.
Who's suspicious? Well, somebody unruly, who don't respect the law definitely is a person to watch. Dwarves with criminal record are an obvious choice if something goes wrong. Watch out for overtly religious. Too much ambition also is a bad trait - unless somebody joined the Party...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:28:56 pm »

What about security?  Will there be a large fortress guard, or a small one?

EDIT:  Yes I know they're dwarves.  I was talking about numbers.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:36:35 pm »

Large one. Somebody has to catch those imperialist spies, layabouts and common criminals.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »

Sorry, I may have mislead you all.

This isn't going to be a fort that will strictly adhere to communistic ideals, it's just that every dwarf will be equal.

That's why I put quotes around Communist, since it isn't actually communist, it's just very similar.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:59:07 pm »

If it doesn't have Party, compulsory seminars about its history and large meetings to praise the Party and vote on certain meaningless issues, then it's nowhere near "similar"!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »

He's just referring to the communist fortress challenge build on the wiki.  And my only advice for that is just bring a lot of picks.  BurnedToast made a good point about making more workshops than you normally would.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 05:08:22 pm »

I know that he does. I just couldn't pass an opportunity for a joke about my past.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:12:30 pm »

Be sure to embark on a place with lots of flux. You will need a lot of resources for your "City of Steel."

And I don't remember if the game has red dye. Whatever you do, get a lot of red dye.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »

Redroot dye is the only red dye available. Cinnabar is a red stone.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 10:20:52 pm »

Also known as hide root.
Seed: Hide root Seed
Seasons: Year-round
Habitat: Aboveground dry not freezing
Edible: No
Cookable: No
Alcohol:    No
Rarity: Common
Uses: Redroot dye
I recommend copper or bronze, for all your metal needs

I would recommend modding in a rock tuber or something for dwarven vodka.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 09:39:35 am »

Basically every fort is more or less communist up until the economy arrives.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: [1] 2