Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Sieges  (Read 1726 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Sieges
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:49:02 am »

It's the third year and I have not seen any sieges. My population has been over 80 (90 to 110) for a great part of this time and there have also been some brutal ambushes.

Any idea what's keeping them from performing a siege?

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Sieges
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:35 am »

When you embarked did you make sure you had goblin neighbors?  I've done that before and kicked myself.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:05:06 am »

When you embarked did you make sure you had goblin neighbors?  I've done that before and kicked myself.
there have also been some brutal ambushes.

I suppose these could be kobolds...
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:39 pm »

Yes, I'm absolutely certain. They are my closest neighbors. I provided an image of their location and my point of embarkation (red X).

I'm sure they are Goblins. I have been making Goblin skull totems and have been melting their armor down for a quick iron source.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:51:57 pm »

Out of interest, how is their [c]ivilization entry? Do thy need to have a military local-leader to send out a siege?

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:18:07 pm »

Out of interest, how is their [c]ivilization entry? Do thy need to have a military local-leader to send out a siege?

They have a ruler and four local leaders. Also, as curious side information, a priest who is also a drunk. Ngokang Sestsmunstu or something like that.

Charrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »

Three years is still pretty young. I have had plenty of fortresses where I had not gotten a seige within 3 years, and often times even longer.
Keep building wealth and you will be fighting off goblin hordes in no time!  ;)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:24 pm »

I'm having a slightly weirder problem: no trolls.

I'm in about year thirteen and i'm getting seiges regularly, they just seem to top out at about three squads, never trolls or wolves or anything but goblins.

Any way to make the seiges get harder faster?

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:35 pm »

@ above - Go to goblins in the creature_default raws. Find damblock. Change it to 20 or thereabouts. Have Fun!

@ OP What is your created and exported wealth like? I normally get seiges pretty quick because I export so much junk and get 1.5 million worth artifacts from adamantine.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 12:02:54 am »

@ above - Go to goblins in the creature_default raws. Find damblock. Change it to 20 or thereabouts. Have Fun!

@ OP What is your created and exported wealth like? I normally get seiges pretty quick because I export so much junk and get 1.5 million worth artifacts from adamantine.

I don't even have an appraiser yet so I don't know. I have three artifacts. One is a Milky Opal Chest, another a Aluminum Millstone  ::) and the last an Aluminum Puzzlebox.  I have never hit Adamantine in a fortress.  :(

Everything in the fort is smoothed and there are masterwork engravings.

Edit: Update. I should have posted this in DF Questions. But, it's 1056 Spring and I have yet to have a siege. My fortress now has 5 artifacts, two crowns, a chest, millstone and amulet.

I'm starting to think what may have caused this and I might have figured it out. One ambush the goblins performed, we beat them up hard. One of them had heavy damages on his arms and was passing out/winded trying to leave. He made it off the map, but maybe he went back to the lair and they looked at his condition and said -- alright, we just cant handle it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:13:58 am by Kalimar »

FalloutBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »

I'm in my 8th year I think with a pop over 100. I have about a dozen artifacts, a total wealth of about 1.2M, and the nobles just arrived. I've had several interesting ambushes, the most recent was comic gold as I watched the elven caravans get butchered. I still haven't seen a siege.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:27 am »

I don't even have an appraiser yet so I don't know. I have three artifacts. One is a Milky Opal Chest, another a Aluminum Millstone  ::) and the last an Aluminum Puzzlebox.  I have never hit Adamantine in a fortress.  :(

Everything in the fort is smoothed and there are masterwork engravings.

Three years and you don't have an appraiser? You've been trading with merchants, right? Just set a dwarf who's done some trading to be your broker and you should then get the appraisal information. If not, make sure you have a broker and make them trade with the next set of merchants and that should let you know waht's going on.

Those aluminum artifacts should have given you a significant wealth boost, although maybe not enough to get sieges yet. Still kind of strange, since a population of 80+ is supposed to allow sieges. At least according to something Toady said once.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One