Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items in the countryside should rot  (Read 666 times)

Killy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items in the countryside should rot
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:27:58 am »

Hello, it would be nice, if items, especially those made from leather and cloth, lying around in the countryside are subject to wear. Something easy like they get an additional X every season/rainfall would be sufficient. The important point is that they finally disappear.

I am not sure how to handle the decay of metal items, perhaps iron rusts fast, gold and steel last forever.

All those bonobo leather mittens, cave spider silk socks and whole goblin slaughtered caravans lying in front of my fort, and taking a huge amount of dwarven-hours to get rid of, are something that really annoys me.

Great game.

For a tidy environment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Items in the countryside should rot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:39:04 am »

This is why I like playing on a magma map.

Dump it all in.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:54:36 am »

Rust, at least, is in the bloats. I think this is one of the things that will be implemented eventually.

Further on the decay of metals, many of them have a tendency to develop a protective coating. Things like copper, bronze and aluminum probably shouldn't corrode past xitemx. Gold is famous for not corroding, and rustproof dwarven steel wouldn't stretch my suspension of disbelief much. Iron should slowly rust into nothingness. All metals should rot slower than organic materials, I think.

Maybe items should only decay while outside in rain or submerged, so that desert would preserve everything forever.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 09:26:10 am »

I would like this. After a battle I usually let my dwarves out to go loot the bodies, since I hate having the crap laying around...but I also hate having my stockpiles full of xnarrow iron masksx and stuff like that...ideally it would just vanish on its own eventually.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:49:52 am »

Magma, chasms, bridges, are generally available to most forts for ridding of it. 'Designate hide' will be available next version in a week or so, and then just have the dwarves ignore outside refuse. Like it was never there.

You could mod the raws so the goblins invade carrying no goods. Just increase their natural armor and attack to compensate.

Personally, I just offer all their garbage to whatever kings send caravans by. Everybody's happy that way.

Would this include corpse decay rate as well? So a dead goblins will be preserved in the ice floes, but disintegrate in a sand storm?