Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Specific bone & skull using dwarves: system and workarounds used  (Read 2117 times)

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Cheese.... we dwarves love cheese.  But.. those filthy humans tricked us, sold us cows that we can't lift into our milking devices damn them!!  But we will show them... theres nothing our craftdwarfship cannot make.. and we shall name it 'Minicow'"

This is my first post on the forums, haven't been playing that long but i fell in love with the game.  Most of the stuff I've done has been based on the information given by the great posters and modders in this forums, the wiki and the mod releasers in the DF download site place.

Some of this is under testing and balancing :P

I made a system for my dwarves to be more of a hunter and combat oriented civilization.  Thus I started by increasing spawn of huntables and removing the baby snatcher flag off goblins.  Also made em siege earlier.

As most here know using item type BONE, PLANT, SKULL causes the material to address based on number onto the files. Thus only accessing the first 35 ones is possible.

However there is two limitations to this

1) Race played always comes from the creature_standard.txt file, namely the first one.  Surprise to me who moved the dwarves elsewhere ended with gremglins as my race. (Without changes to the entity files)

2) Absence of a file (Eg. creature_other.txt) causes the game to read an older version located in the
df/data/objects folder.  If said files are removed game crashes.

Quirk  PLANT_ALCOHOL doesnt seem to be "13".  It addresses something way past it, around 20.  That itself also was pretty quirky.  Therefore I had to fit what i wanted to use at 12.

Workaround used

Moved everything I didn't intend to use into creature subterranean.  However once i did that my game crashed.  It was fixed although im not sure if it was due to a typo in the file header area (where you type the filename without the .txt) or due to having around 20 pages of creature in one file.  I made a few extra files and moved some creatures there.  Worked afterwards.

Plants and such were just placed above the current ones so they would be read first.

Bone used in my setup

1. All metal armors are now craftable with bone.  Subject to the bone material penalty of 50%.

2.  3 Any meat + 3 Any raw fat + 1 skull = Minicow.  New vermin milkable creature that can be created.  Milking works although the problem with my minicows being eaten by dwarves persists.  I will try the forbidden trick soon.

3. Any cheese = Ivory coin.  Work around to making a "calcium extract".  I wished not to be edible or usable for food or buildable of so i chose a coin for now.  I also havn't figured out how to use milk directly.

4. Any bone = Bone marrow extract.  Can be cooked or processed into bloody dye at the quern (marrow makes blood cells so i figured was appropiate).  This can be used to color clothing.

5. Tanned leather = leather scraps. These can be processed into thread at the farmers market, and thus clothing.

6. Bloody dye + milkybone = Rough blood gem.  Ment to be cut-able at the jeweler and used as decoration.  Still working on this.

7. Ivory coin + 2 Any bones = Milky bone.  Stone for building purposes. Cheese seems a bit too hard to come by to make it the main building block of the civilization so this needs tweaking.  The idea was to have a small army of minicows providing milk.  And an army of goblins and fauna suppling bones.

8. Meat + 2 Any bone + Goblin skull = Meatybone.  A new type of "ore" that is smeltable into bars or usable to build.  This material has value of 3 (slightly higher than economic stones) and is weaker than iron (90% vs 100%).

9. Meatybone + Goblin skull + Dwarf skull + 2 Any bone = Dwarven Metalbone.  Another new type of ore that is smeltable into metal bars.  This is slightly stronger than steel (135% vs 125%). Highly valuable at 8. (Might get raised in value, afterall a dwarf has to die for it)

10.  Dwarven Metalbone + 2 Goblin Skull + Dwarf skull + Troll skull + 2 any bone = Dwarven Adamant Bone.  A new ore stronger than adamantite (600% vs 500%) and extremely valuable! Yes it does take two dwarf skulls 3 goblin and a troll skull to make!

11.  A bonus that i dont think i'll ever see and is based on a thread in these forums.  The ultimate building material.  Weeping elven ore.  Extremely valuable and powerful, make the most royal room you can or make an Weeping elven sword!  Takes 20 elf skulls to make.  Now wait for the caravan.....

Sadly due to the workarounds that need to be used this is highly incompatible with other things =/

Trying to make it stand on its own so its a fun alternate way to play the game.  Now i need to weaken the farms and such to make bone more of a necessity to survive.  This is meant to be a hard way to play.  Particularly since sad thoughts from death are gonna be abundant if you need dwarf skulls :P

Thanks for reading! Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I forgot one!

13.  Tallow = Fermenting tallow.  This new fermenting tallow can be brewed into a drink!

Meatybone can also be made from kobold skulls.

Also ive made everything butcherable.  Wonder what happens to gear on goblins when they get into the butcher shop.. guess ill find out soon enough!

Since the way to use specific bones is known, i could make it so certain things retain the name by say making specific formulas for each.  One requiring say cow bone would produce cow milkybone.  Since theres no limit to smelter entries its possible to do upto 35, but god that'd be such a chore :x  I may make a script to produce the code for me based on a list later.  If we get more flexibility in the raws, to even use variables or certain functions and have the game "compile" it then wonders could be made :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:09:22 pm by Scrangos »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Specific bone & skull using dwarves: system and workarounds used
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:03 am »

I cant remember how long ive been playing DF, since 2d i think, and I've never been able to work out all that BONE, PLANT, SKULL stuff. Congratulations on a very interesting looking mod.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »

Meat + 6 Any bone + 4 Goblin skull + 2 Dwarf skull + 1 Troll skull = Dwarven Adamant Bone

I'd argue that it's possible to get at least one of these per a well-equipped siege. The only limiting factor is the Dwarf skull. But you can "acquire" them from dwarven traders.

But what's the equivalent of a demon pit in a siege? 

Also, there's only a limited amount of adamantine tiles in any given pit, and you wont get all of them unless you send in a legendary miner. When you mine the last tile, that's it. Whereas the Dwarven Adamant bone can be generated onto perpetuity.

I'd argue that the Dwarven Adamant bone needs to be ersatz adamantine ore.

But other than that, I'd have to say this is an pretty nice mod. A fine way to get that elusive yet delicious milk.

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:57:30 pm »

Yeah there needs to be some tuning, though, in the end the game is as hard as you want to make it. 

On the few fortresses I've made I've yet to run into adamantium.  Though if you really want theres no siege or demon that can stand to the dwarven atomsmasher (Bridge).

And if your not gonna use adamantium for weapons and armor then theres no real point in having many or not...

The idea is to play the game more openly instead of hiding behind the trusty lava pit moat :x  At least a 4 tile entrance without traps!

Also I'd be bored by the time i get a sizeable amount of it :x 

Im still having toruble with the milk.  If i forbid the cow at the farmers market the guy wont milk it.  But if i unforbid they tend to eat it.  So i gotta micromanage the forbidding and milking of cows... also its once per season i hear so thats gonna be one jam packed market :x
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:00:24 pm by Scrangos »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:07:25 pm »

Demons break bridges if you attempt to squish them, so I've heard.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:56:27 am »

Interesting mod, doesn't really make any sort of sense, but interesting in a necromantic sort of way. Could you figure out a way to 'build' skeletons from component bones? I.e. use 6 goblin bones and a goblin skull to make a goblin skeleton, or the correct number of bones (and skulls) for other stuff? I'm rather undecided as to whether it should be friendly or hostile, as either would be cool.

Oh, and bone cages. Using raw bone instead of processed bone-metal.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:31:52 am »

Six dwarf bone+ dwarf skull+ mysterious powder from alchemist's lab = Obedient skeletal dwarven slave?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:41:28 am »

2) Absence of a file (Eg. creature_other.txt) causes the game to read an older version located in the
Sometimes you should re-generate the world to play with new things.
data/objects is simply a cache with compiled raw files. If you remove some file from raw/objects you should clean data/objects as well. The game will remake these files.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 10:10:30 am »

Heh, i really wasn't trying to make sense.  Theres no real chemistry reactions that can strengthen bone to any point its actually viable as a replacement for iron (that i know of) :P  I imagined an army of dwarves wearing armor and weapons made out of bone and meat and it amused me so much i had to put it in :x

I haven't tried it but i dont think creature would be a valid item type token in order to create a creature =/  It seems the smelter reactions only read item type tokens and materials and is hardcoded into w/e function reads the reaction raws.  Vermin are kinda useless unless you want extracts.  Using specific bones and skulls to create something is quite doable though.  Someone around the forums had the interesting idea of having a corpse (which is an item type) drop a creature but I think that also only takes item type tokens.

I've tried attempting to override the bones item type description (completely guesswork since i dont have any item type definition in the raws) and also a vague attempt to override a specific type of bone matgloss in order to make em available to use for more things that they currently are.  (Like giving bone the [WEAPON] or [SHARP] flag).  No dice though.

Bone cages could be done directly but only at the smelter unless i could figure out how to make it act as another item type =/

Problem is i think the game functions for the other buildings only check a certain item type when trying to build.  And such functions would be hardcoded atm.  Like a carpenter's shop only checking for WOOD item types and completely ignoring everything else including BONES and SKULL.

Making a 'friendly' creature would be really interesting.  Since it could work like the dwarves that stay there when you reclaim that stay friendly and help out with some of the work!

Sometimes you should re-generate the world to play with new things.
data/objects is simply a cache with compiled raw files. If you remove some file from raw/objects you should clean data/objects as well. The game will remake these files.

It could've been a mistake with something else i guess as i was pretty tired.  But i removed the data/objects and my saves in the save folder to remake a new world to test the new raw changes and it kept crashing on me.

I think ill up the requirements on the adamant type bone, Im gonna check the speech raws and see if the dwarven words for some things would sound nicer :P  How much adamantium is found in an usual map that does contain it?

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »

I think a better question would be how much adamantine is actually mined by someone who isn't trying to deliberately unleash hell upon their fortress.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:42:02 pm by Nonanonymous »

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 09:39:33 am »

Been play testing this, and while looking good on paper so far its not fun >.<  Too much hassle to make simpler things.  Changing all materials to be processed ones so your not wracking your head over things rotting o.o;  Tweaking a thing or two around to make it more viable.  Trying to playtest this on mostly soil areas void of stone and ore.  Also weakened the adamant type and removed the second dwarf skull req.  Requires more troll and goblins ones now though.

I'm curious I havn't seen this around but I added training weapons.  Low damage metal weapons (since i don't know how to make it with things other than bars) for sparring purposes.

Only problem would be a dwarf hitting a certain skill level while sparring o.O Since you cant undraft past certain skill theres no way to get him to change weapons right?

Nevermind, just change their wep assignments, forbid old ones and change back or something.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 09:50:24 am by Scrangos »

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:03:34 pm »

Ive made some changes in the recipes to make it take less management to get results.  Already it seems too easy to just go for something else. Trying to balance this along a forested area with aquifiers playing on a 1 condition (instead of 2) to start sieges removing the baby snatcher flag.  Next step... nerfing farms.

Is there any way to make booze uncookable? And what about plants?

Whats a good % reduction in output to make em not totally useless but still deter using them solely as your food income?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »

The easiest way to make farms harder is to remove edible_raw from plants and make them grow a bit longer.
Also the only way not to cook the booze is not to cook it. Sadly there's no such option.
You can make a plant to be not cookable but brewable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 02:49:42 pm »

I've seen some complaining about wild animals running out.  Some post that they run out in the first year or two of their game.

I modified their populations to 200-300 per year, and their spawn groups to 5-12 for most things.  I finally ran out of animals at the 10 year mark.  From deceased wild animals alone i have 52 pages (using page up/down, 19 per page, thus around 1,000 kills).  Next game im gonna put their population in the thousands and see if i can get near infinite, hopefully the holding variable goes past 512 or 1024.

Most of the stuff that i added is a bit disapoining since most of the stuff isnt really worth it unless your playing on an aquifier map or a map without magma to mass produce obsidian.  Though there are FPS advantages to avoiding magma and moving water.  Running at 20-60 fps with 207 dwarves atm (2x6 zone, small world).  Hmmm, fat made fuel maybe? :P No magma makes it hard to mass melt goblin armor :)

Maybe i should change the approach to using the new reactions for making a 1x1 zone playable without running water or magma.  Thus achieving maximum FPS :x

I still havnt fixed the whole ice nova thing for materials :x Though i've tested it little.  Makes it less fun to play with magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:32:50 pm »

I suppose I might as well mention here that I recently made a stone that could be smelted into turtles (shell-less, stupidly), literally allowing me to mine for fish.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2