Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I hate possessions... I really do.  (Read 1839 times)

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
I hate possessions... I really do.
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:21:35 am »

Out of my 9 strange moods so far, 7 have been posessions, one wanted something I couldn't get him and the other is a child... who still is a child. This is gettin' annoying, I mean, come on, one legendary *something* that isn't a child and hasn't arisen because of hard labor and massive uses of resources on inferior equipment/items/food.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate possessions... I really do.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:10 am »

I had a lot of possessions at the beginning and all were crowns. I decided to go back in adventure mode, wear one, then wipe out a civilization.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:27 am »

Perhaps you are doing something to cause this? Or it could be just bad luck, im not sure, you may want to check the wiki or other threads.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:09:02 am »

Can you actually wear crowns?  I had to settle for beating children into lumpy puddles with crowns rather than wearing them.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:34:15 am »

I think that if you take off your helmet, you can wear a crown. Sadly, the subsequent demonic possession would be all you.
Also, the wiki poses the question if possessions are player-caused or not. I think no one's yet devised a reliable experiment.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:49 am »

It's hard to say, but I don't THINK it's player-caused. I tend to run my forts pretty much the same every time, and I've had forts with mostly fey moods, mostly possessions, even one where it was almost all strange moods. That was annoying. "Dwarf sketches gems..." I HAVE GEMS! I have tons! What do you want????

Turns out, he wanted raw glass. Bastard...but at least I had sand on that map.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any sort of pattern. Makes me think it's random. *shrug*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:44:56 pm »

Sometimes, the RNG just hates you.

Anyway, I'm mean. If I see a Possession happening, I just lock the sucker into the workshop before they can get started and let 'em die. The number of potential artifacts is too limited to let you bastard spirts take them up and not give me a Legendary.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:36 pm »

Does that actually get you more moods?

I've always thought that they were sort of a fixed "You get x strange moods per fortress, based on wealth/population/explored area". Just killing them off seems like a waste of an artifact if that's the case...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »

To the best of my knowledge, you're limited to X artifacts. No mood completion = no artifact = you can get another one later.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 07:38:59 pm »

The worst thing about possessions are the potential loss of a perfectly good dwarf. I lost all my metal crafting dwarves to failed moods once.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:21:52 pm »

I had a moody blacksmith once; he never got his possession finished so he went insane and just sorta hung around the forges.

He ended up being kicked into my magma pit by goblin invaders; I can just imagine the conversation.

"The yellow sprites are bicycle revenge!"
"What is this?"
"This is madness."
"Madness!? This. Is. MY FOOOOT!"
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 12:50:55 am »

Does that actually get you more moods?

I've always thought that they were sort of a fixed "You get x strange moods per fortress, based on wealth/population/explored area". Just killing them off seems like a waste of an artifact if that's the case...

There is also a counter involved, which (I believe) gets reduced daily as well as by the number of tiles revealed.

Potentially, there is an infinite number of artifacts, but the counter goes up exponentially with each artifact, so it would eventually take years of real-time between each one. Unless you had a full-sized map with a whole lot of z-levels, in which case you'd probably be able to get a metric fuck-ton of 'em.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 02:03:57 am »

Has Toady actually stated this? Or are you just making stuff up?

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 02:11:10 am »

How common are fell moods?

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 02:12:41 am »

How common are fell moods?

They're pretty common if your dwarves are miserable but if you're a halfway decent player all your dwarves will probably be ecstatic. (Unless you just got ambushed or something)
Pages: [1] 2