Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IRC issues.  (Read 2110 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
IRC issues.
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:50:50 am »

Hi Toady,

We could really use some extra ops with banning privileges in IRC.
There's been some problems recently, so we could use some half-ops to keep the peace.

Obviously the people you'd be wanting to give that kind of access to are few, but it seems necessary. Suggestions for candidates in this thread would probably be wise.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IRC issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:53:12 am »

keep the peace.

You're defining the legitimate discussion and debate of political ideals as a violation of the peace?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:58:20 am »

keep the peace.

You're defining the legitimate discussion and debate of political ideals as a violation of the peace?

Not at all. My problem is with insult slinging that wouldn't be tolerated in any public forum.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:59:55 am »

We've seen what happens whenever politics is brought in, Palmerjesus is an example, sexuality oriented conversations aren't good for the peace either. Anticheese seems like a sane individual, probably the sanest.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:00:54 am »

keep the peace.

Not at all. My problem is with insult slinging that wouldn't be tolerated in any public forum.

I assume you're referring as to how people were insulting sheezy?

Doomduckie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:04:15 am »

You know, for a while I was conflicted, because a lot of the people who are part of the problem are only problems half of the time and mild contributions to the chat a lot of other times. I won't deny them that. And I won't deny that once or twice I've said something controversial on accident or on purpose, although I like to think at least I'm usually in the right and if not I apologize afterwards.

But it's not controversiality, it's blatant trolling and spamming that I find offensive. Usually I'd let it go if someone contributes something worthwhile when not doing it, but the past 3 days definitely have tipped my opinion over the edge towards disfavour:

For an example of the sorts of trolling problems CaptainMayday discusses, I have reregistered an account to deliver this:

To whit, a mostly-accurate record of the minutes of the past 2 hours of the #bay12games room.

00:48- people shouting 'cunt plug' and 'ANAL LIGHTNING' and so forth.
00:52- racial epithets being thrown as insults
00:55- also antisemitism. I think. Is saying that jews are able to shoot their arms as projectile weapons, even if intended as an insult, actually one? [Side note: Personally, as a part-jew, being able to shoot my fists at people would be cool. But I think it was meant as an insult.]
[time leap i stopped paying attention due to how irritating and stupid the chat has been when full of tons of trolls]
02:26- resume paying attention, am greeted with spam floods
02:34- also homophobia, mysnogeny, and racism all in one sentence! wow!
02:44- more racist trolling
02:45- Also, for the past hour or so someone has been saying "PENIS" over and over in what isn't quite a flood/drone of noise but rather a constant ping.
[after this, for the past 15 minutes, there has been more quiet]

If you copypaste this about 30 times, this is basically a summary of the past 3 days of the IRC room.

In conclusion, a small group of old hands who are on consistantly and able to moderate with a fair hand, balancing the problem of smothering the chat with it being full of idiots would be appreciated.

I'm not saying that people should be unable to discuss things- hell, we could discuss racism if we wanted, even though it's a touchy thing. But shouting "PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS" and "THIS IS A SPAM MESSAGE MEANT TO ANNOY YOU" and telling people, as an insult, "You are a nigger" means that you have nothing to contribute to an IRC room. Kickban exists for a reason. [edit- I'm not even kidding. All three of these happened.]

Message concludes,
Doomduckie
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:09:12 am by Doomduckie »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 03:06:38 am »

Agreed with Doomduckie. Charged topics are not the problem, the incapability of discussing them in a civil manner is.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:18:56 am »

This seems to be what happens when I stop lurking regularly for a week.    I guess I'll resume, for the benefit of others.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:48:18 am »

I'd like to recommend regulars such as Momaw, CptMayday, DoomDuckie, Markavian and myself for half-op.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:31:55 am »

Just be careful with moderation.  With great power comes great responsibility.  And I've seen other games where moderators abuse their power.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:22 am »

Yar. I checked the IRC yesterday when I read this thread. I saw somebody sign off with something like 'you're a niggerrrrr'. I did'nt see any more offense, but I was shocked enough at that.

I don't mind an occasional flame war, be it religious or political or whatever. As long as people stay within the boundaries of politeness and reason.

I DO mind racism. I'm of Jewish origin myself, and have some African friends. It shocks me every time again to see how they are discriminated and become victim of racism almost daily, even in a so-called tolerant country as mine. Example: in Holland, we are required to carry a ID card all the time. I have never been controlled by the police. My African friends are stopped by the police, and asked for their ID, almost once a week. On the other hand, I know of African people also, who have racist views of white people and discriminate them, just as well. For that, racism does not discriminate.

I don't visit the IRC often. In fact, chatting is not really my thing.
But seeing racism and insult on a DF channel makes me want to write this in support of the OP's concern.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »

I don't mind an occasional flame war, be it religious or political or whatever. As long as people stay within the boundaries of politeness and reason.

I think if it stays within the boundaries of politeness and reason, it's a debate, not a flame war.  A flame war is when honest debate degenerates into an argument which then further degenerates into direct attacks on the other person.  (In some cases, flame wars will turn entirely into insult fests, although usually they're still trying to argue the issue amidst the continuous barrage of sexual inferences, intellectual detractions, and racist or nationalist statements.)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:23:48 pm »

The channel now has 8 moderators, who were either moderators before, happened to be there when I showed up yesterday, or were mentioned when I happened to show up yesterday: Anticheese, Capntastic, CptMayday, Doomduckie, Markavian, Momaw, Spelguru, veryinky

Let me know if they get out of control, he he he.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:30:55 pm »

Is saying that jews are able to shoot their arms as projectile weapons, even if intended as an insult, actually one?

Sigged.

EDIT: Actually, no, since it's offensive, but oh wow I lol'd.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:32:59 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 01:36:04 am »

I will do my best to keep the peace, be fair, reasonable, and not forge an empire ruled by an unfeeling iron fist of oppression.
Pages: [1] 2