Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Donkeys have arms!  (Read 749 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Donkeys have arms!
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »

So I was trading with elves today...

and they decided that my narrow giant cave spider silk whatevers had blood on them (after specifically checking each one for blood) and left in a huff. However, my entire fortress is now walled off, with three bridges.

I set the bridge lever to be Pulled (R) and keep the dwarves out of the way.

So the goods go flying as some of the merchants drown. A merchant donkey comes back... and starts hauling the wood that flew away.

Donkeys have arms?

And elves apparently don't like the bins that things are in?

Edit: Also merchant donkeys don't drown. It is a massive mystery D:

Edit 2: And they have emotions: Donkey is stricken by melancholy!!! But he's in 7/7 water... so, is he just going to be invincible now? I even dug him a ramp to get out...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:08:13 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donkeys have arms!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:09:49 pm »

Elves don't like anything made of wood, including bins.

Most animals swim innately.

I seem to recall reading about an animal being able to pull out arrows stuck in limbs with ease; being able to pick up logs of wood falls into a similar category.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:37:41 pm »

'hauling', is a special case of being able to carry something.
i'd wager that even creatures without [GRASP]ers should be able to haul stuff around.

hunters for example might have bolts in one hand, crossbow in the other, and still haul corpses around just fine.

pulling out an embedded weapon(such as a bolt) is another thing altogether i think. i would think that it counts as an equipped item than you remove.
and rather than it appearing in your hand, it is dropped even though a hand should be required for the action in the first place.
toady still doesn't have this under very good control, as can be attested to the infamous wearing of the 100 shields in adventure mode.
in general i think that the control for wearing items and armor is just temporary patchworks without a true and common design background. dwarves in fortress mode for example are very reluctant to put on gear up to their limit like they are able in adventure mode.

heck, if you get a peasant in fortress mode to put on a boot for hunting etc., then he will drop either one sock or a shoe to accomodate the new item(there are restrictions for wearing items).
however, upon losing said piece of armor, he will walk around for the rest of the game with either just a sock or just a shoe, even though they should be able to wear both - and do indeed start with both by default, which can never be worn at once from then on.
i think toady is reconsidering the layer system of armor, which enables dwarves to wear 3 chain mails and one plate mail, if there is not more practical concerns behind this, such as pathfinding slowdowns or the like.

also about removing armors. in fortress mode whenever a dwarf wants to put on a new item, it automatically drops at his feet the old armor in the same turn. the mechanisms for removing stuck bolts could be different for the two game modes, and does not seem to need or make use of hands in fortress mode.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:41 am »

donkeys have teeth. donkey bites and carries log. ok, so maybe donkey jaws arent REALLY supposed to do that, but...

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"