Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: abbreviation  (Read 3814 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: abbreviation
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:36 am »

(sp?) means "Spelling?" You add it to words which you think you may have spelled incorrectly.

It's like [sic] only used to refer to your own errors rather than a quotation...
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 01:48:08 pm »

I want a t-shirt that says

[sic]
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Whee.

LOL:  "Laughing Out Loud".  Originally just used as an acronym, "LOL" has since degenerated into a word.  It is now almost exclusively spelled in lowercase and used in situations where the 'expanded' acronym would not make any sense.  It has also become a compulsion for certain internet users, who cannot perform any action without using "lol" at least once.   It has also gained such popularity that it is sometimes spoken aloud, over a voicechat or in the real world.  It is also sometimes spelled phonetically as "lawl".

ROFL:  "Rolling On [the] Floor, Laughing".  This term came about some time after some people felt that "LOL" simply could not express the utter glee they were feeling.  In other words, they were having more fun than that other guy.  "ROFL" is also sometimes used as a word rather than an acronym, but not nearly as often as "LOL".  It has, however, been integrated into spoken language.  So if you hear someone who sounds like they're trying to puke up a vole, you know that they are simply expressing their entertainment at some witty comment or circumstance.

LMAO:  "Laughing My Ass Off". This is, for whatever reason, a slightly less aggressive version of "ROFL".  It still serves only one purpose, the expression of humorous enjoyment.  There are several variations of this, including the result of the Add-A-Fuck-To-It revolution, "LMFAO" (Laughing My Fucking Ass Off).  Sometimes people will replace "Fucking" with "Fat", to make their comment wittier by including self-deprecation. 

OMG:  "Oh My God".  A general statement of disbelief, surprise, excitement, or other such occasions when the full version might be used.  It also had a variant spawned from the Add-A-Fuck-To-It revolution, creating "OMFG" (Oh My Fucking God).  Interestingly enough, no one has yet used the "F" in "OMFG" to mean 'Fat'.  This is another acronym that has been spoken aloud, making a sound like someone gulping down fear (or swallowing a sneeze, in the case of "OMFG").

ROFL*: "ROFL" soon sparked a trend of making new and incomprehensible acronyms to express one's giggling.  A common way of doing this wasy simply adding onto already existing acronyms to create something longer, such as "ROFLOL" (Rolling On [the] Floor Laughing Out Loud) and the ever-popular "ROFLMAO" (Rolling On [the] Floor Laughing My Ass Off).  Often, in the hopes of becomeing more clever, a person will add on the abbreviation "BBQ" (BarBeQue) to the end of such a string.  Also, sometimes people who do not understand the acronym will put it together with something else.  Example:  "ROFLOLMFAOMGBBQ" (Rolling On [the] Floor Laughing Out Loud My Fucking Ass Oh My God Barbeque).  People who use hybrid acronyms like that have are divided into two equal groups:  Those who are making fun of the second group, and the second group.

WTF:  "What The Fuck".  This acronym lends its existence almost entirely to the Add-A-Fuck-To-It revolution.  It is used as a statement of disbelief, a simple request for confirmation, or simply as a way of blowing off steam.  A question mark at the end is not necessary.

NOTE:  This acronym is sometimes used by military forces, spelled out "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot".

FTW: "For The Win/Fuck The What".  One of the more confusing acronyms, due to its wide spectrum of meanings.  Most popularly, it is simply "For The Win", which is a way of stating one's enthusiastic approval or endorsement of a particular object.  "Fuck The What" is sometimes used as a counter to "What The Fuck", or as a statement of knowing precisely what he/she/it is doing, and having awareness of the local surroundings (exclusively used in games).  These are only two of many different "FTW" acronyms.  It is one of the few acronyms that has not entered speech, most likely due to the difficulty in pronouncing it.

BTW:  By The Way".  Used when the person wishes to make an addendum, just like the full version.  The AAFTI (Add-A-Fuck-To-It) revolution created "BTFW", normally only used when the person is angry and wishes to add another acidic jab, often revealing some harming information about the jabbed party.  Sometimes misspelled "BFTW" (Butts For The Win).

GTG:  "[I've] Got To Go".  Used to express sadness at a forced departure, and to notify the other participants that the person will be leaving soon.

BBL/BRB:  "[I'll] Be Back Later/[I'll] Be Right Back".  Simple acronyms used for informing another party that the person writing has been drawn away from the event or conversation, but will be returning shortly.  Sometimes used after "GTG".  The AAFTI revolution created "BRFB" ([I'll] Be Right Fucking Back).

BRB, GTG. lol.  BBL.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:26 pm »

That has seriously expanded my world. ;)

I'm still missing:

AFAIK: As far as I know
IM(H)O: In my (humble) opinion
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:52 pm »

There is a trend to include "lol" in any typed sentence these days, especially amongst the younger teen crowd. In fact, it's crucial in determining if you are talking to >14 year old by the frequent (and unnecessary) usage of things like lol. For example:

Teen1: "lol, I went to the supermarket, lol"

Teen2: "lol. What for?"

Teen1: "Dunno. lol. Bored. lol"

Actually, as a high school teacher I intercepted a note being passed in class very recently that looked depressingly similar to that above conversation.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:32 pm »

Egad!
Sirs, we must depart to the Grammar Automobile to stop this horrendous corruption of language!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:37 pm »

That has seriously expanded my world. ;)

I'm still missing:

AFAIK: As far as I know
IM(H)O: In my (humble) opinion

Are you asking for explanations of those?  If so, read on.

AFAIK: This is used to add indicate that someone is fairly certain of what they say, but not unshakeably.   They might be talking about personal experience, or not completely sure of the sources they heard something from.  Someone drawing conclusions or speaking hypothetically might say this if they're certain of their reasoning but aware that there could be a factor they don't know about.  It's a metaphor that treats one's knowledge as a physical place with boundaries... outside that area (ie: beyond one's knowledge, another expression) what they say might not be reliable. 
It can be used in two ways- either to add an element of doubt to something and say "I'm not entirely sure", generally when answering a question... or it can be used in a subject one knows well to acknowledge fallibility but emphasize that the possibility of being wrong is very small.

IMO: In my opinion... The meaning is essentially the same as AFAIK- "this may or may not be true but it's what I think".  AFAIK is generally used when talking about literal fact, while IMO is more likely to be used when talking about politics, religion, taste, and other intangibles.  The emphasis might be on the fact that what the speaker says is only their own view; or conversely that right or wrong, they assert their right to believe it.

IMHO: adding 'humble' to IMO may sound like a way of making it less assertive, but in practice this is almost always the opposite, used in arguments as a way of justifying a strong and uncompromising opinion.  As a result many people either use it ironically as a way to signal that they are not going to change the opinion that follows, or play off it by saying things like "In my not-so-humble opinion" (IMNSHO).  However, there are always a few people who use it straight.  This is generally passive-aggressive- intentionally or otherwise, it gives a rude or disruptive statement the appearance of being "just an opinion".  Some people go even further, and actually say this as though being humble adds credibility to their opinion, unaware of the irony that truly humble people do not advertise their own humility.

Note that all three of these, like BTW, are pre-internet phrases of the English langauge that are used commonly enough for people to recognise them when abbreviated.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:15 pm »

You forgot a few.

FYI: For Your Information.

HS: Rarely used. Can mean holy s***, as an exclamation expressing surprise. Or horse s***.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 12:30:49 am »

BS:  "Bullshit".  A term often used to express strong disagreement, or simply to express disbelief.  Some confusion may arise from the fact that this acronym shares its initials with "Brilliant Speculation", thus leading to a potential misinterpretation.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:36 am »

LOL ;D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:52 am »

Hehe, I'm willing to join in the next migrant wave Martinuzz. Gent ftw.
Anyway, I'm surprised FFS hasn't come up.
FFS: For fuck's sake, used when you want to vent frustration ( FFS, I grinded a million hours on this game and all I've got is an iron dagger! ). It is still unclear, however, what the fuck's sake actually is. 

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 05:50:27 am »

Omg wtf bbq brb

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 07:47:52 am »

I still don't get the meaning of "Barbeque", what's special in it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:49 am »

You don't like barbeque? :)

I sometimes use AFAICR/AFAIR and AFAICT, for "as far as I (can) remember", and "as far as I can tell".

There's always JAAFU/JANFU/whatever to indicate a very elaborate effort resulting in failure.

Also frequently used on these boards is QFT - "quoted for truth".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:54:34 am »

Oh, you forgot 2 very common abbreviations.

USA, which means "United States of America". Sometimes it's used as US, just "United States".
Also there's a very common but currently obsolete abbreviation USSR which means "United States of Soviet Russia".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4