Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The meaning of seige.  (Read 9246 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The meaning of seige.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 04:18:09 pm »

The goblins could meta-siege. They'd attack by breeding giant eagles and making them fly everywhere really fast. Then they'd bring in 200 kittens and have them swarm your entrance filling up your traps. When you'd chopped up the kittens, they'd bring in another wave.

Then they'd set up a huge fan and blow the miasma further into your fort. They'd toss !!socks!! out on your front porch. They'd (d)ump all the equipment off visiting traders and then kill them, and mate with the elves. You'd watch as they let anvil after anvil get stolen by kobolds.

They'd build a wall in front of Project Fuck the World, and divert the river so your wells go dry. The river diversion would drop down to the bottom of the map in multiple waterfalls, reducing your FPS to 1.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »

The traditional method of getting something out of it's burrow is to smoke it out.
So I'd say that the best bet for goblins would be to pour some flammable, hard-to-extinguish substance that produces a lot of smoke down the fort's entrance. This would also consume much of the oxygen in the fortress. And as an added bonus, the fire should destroy most traps. That way they could clear the fortress bit by bit.

I'd say a 'burning stuff pump' or 'anything pump' would count as a siege engine. And it can't destroy anything with non-flammable components, like stone fall traps made only with rock mechanisms.
Well let's just say it's something that burns hot enough to soften stone to the point where  the mechanisms get jammed. Maybe bauxite mechanisms could be immune?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »

The goblins could meta-siege.
If goblins did any of the stuff in your lolworthy post, I would admit defeat soundly and just mod goblins to PLAYABLE.
火族

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:55 pm »

I hope that if goblins do learn advanced siege tactics, we'll have some way to resist it (Like reinforced walls to prevent tunneling and such).

One thing that always annoyed me in Dugeon Keeper 2, whenever the heroes had a dwarf on their side, they'd just tunnel directly to your dungeon heart, thereby circumventing all your traps. What made it annoying was that in that game, once a wall is dug out, it's GONE. You couldn't rebuild it, all you could do is build a barricade which could be destroyed by normal melee attacks. It really messed up a lot of interesting designs.

In Dwarf Fortress you can always rebuild walls, but it would be nice if goblins didn't always use tunneling as a first resort, otherwise they'll just keep digging past all your traps, rendering them useless... Although you could always surround your fortress with an underground magma layer. Then if the goblins try to tunnel through, they open up a wall and get a bunch of lava dumped on them. Water would work too but it wouldn't be as cool.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »

Hrm. These may have been mentioned before, but I just figured I'd iron out my thoughts on sieges.
I think a siege is largely dependent on your fortress requiring outside resources: in the real world, water and especially food were brought from outside sources, thus making stockpiles necessary. What DWAAARF FORTRESS needs is a system of water use and food eating that makes more sense, because at the moment farms need no water so long as they are made on soil, and those farms can generate incredible amounts of food per square unit of measurement (whatever it might be.) Therefore, what we need to make sieges more realistic is twofold: realistic use of water and realistic growth of food. Water should be used in far more activities and food should require much more area in which to be grown. This would make raising animals for food more viable: animals could be put in pens and would require little more than water to keep alive (supposing that grass is in great supply.) This is really more appropriate for the suggestion sub-forum, but oh well. If there isn't already a topic of this sort there, I shall make one so that we might brainstorm on improvements for sieges.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:26 pm »

Flaming cage trap made of liginite mechanisms and an ashen cage, which is ignited by a charcoal road, which is ignited by magma.
Ha ha ha ha...
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:01 am »

From reading that description, the first thing that came into my head was;

Miners, sappin' mah fortifications!

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 03:49:25 am »

I could see them just chopping down all the trees, setting up those arrow-blocking walls, siege towers and ladders....Or just have them send wave after wave of beakdogs until your moat runs red with their blood and it becomes so dense they can walk on it, and in turn you can mine it for making those oh so valuable Beak blocks...But ladders and ballistas would probably be the best bet for goblins...The Uruk-Hai in Lotr did it.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 05:41:23 am »

If the goblins get advanced seige tactics, then I would like the range of tactics they are allowed to deploy, be dependent on the level of the highest-ranked unit on the field, so that a good defence would be to send in an assassination squad of elite marksdwarves to take out the leader.

Also:
metal catapults + alchemist = greek fire.
greek fire + forest map = goblin bbq

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 05:46:21 am »

Greek bbq + goblin map = ??

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 08:50:09 am »

I don't like the idea of tunneling for the goblins very much, seems like it would be very hard to implement and it wouldn't be very "cool" to me.  I'd rather them use catapults that collapse the ground.  If they can't get in just pound it with crap until it dies.  That seems more like a goblin tactic they'd use.

Imagine all the dwarves running around quickly inside the fort as sections of it collapse, the constant pounding of the artillery like a massive drumbeat.  Each hit causes the dwarves to wince, because it might be the last thing they hear.

bergotronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »

I think that if the new update has a greater focus on armies, perhaps now the best defense is a strong offense. That is keeping the goblins as far away from the fort, letting them reach the fort would be the last option...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 04:57:30 pm »

Greek bbq + goblin map = ??

"Guests are all ambushed and killed or kidnapped to be used for unspecified but nefarious purposes, resulting in a dark tower where the princple God is Zeus The Amorous Lightning-Lord of Mountains and the inhabitants all wear (Giant Cave Spider Silk Tunics)"?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2008, 04:12:13 am »

Someone mentioned magic and sieges. Well, here's what I think you could do-

- Destroy doors, gatehouses and the like.

- Hold doors shut against an invading force.

- Give a weapon the ability to cleave through hard objects like stone.

- Guide the aim of catapult or ballista gunners.

- Take out archers who are using cover (Who are a pain in the butt to get to in sieges - either you shoot back at them (which won't work well due to the cover) or melee them, which lets them shoot at you all the while)

- Summon flying creatures to airlift troops over walls

- Summon golems and the like to smash through walls
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2008, 06:16:16 am »

Troll Stone-throwers
Instead of walking up and bashing buildings to bits, they throw rocks at them like walking catapults.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7