is 80% of american cinema "smart"?

yes, and I'm from America
sort of/maybe, and I'm from America
no, and I'm from America
yes, and I'm not from America
sort of/maybe, and I'm not from America
no, and I'm not from America

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Intellectual Stimulation In American Cinema  (Read 10583 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Intellectual Stimulation In American Cinema
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:08 am »

I think it's more appropriate to say what the distribution of good movies to crap movies would be, and what range of mediocre movies sits in the middle.

I'd put it at 20% crap, 70% meh, 10% awesome. Furthermore, since I never watch the crap movies, only 1 movie in 8 that I would watch is worth watching a second time someday.

I've encountered perhaps less than 20 movies (of any origin) in my lifetime that I would watch more than twice.

Needless to say, I have the same opinions on video games. Only a handful of video games have enough replay value to bother with playing more than one solid "lets see and do everything" experience. And easily 80% of games aren't even worth finishing once.

Now books are more often worth studying. But the vast volume of books published leads me to believe that only a relative sliver of the whole would be worth reading more than a few times.

Then again, I have little patience for repetition unless there's something awesome or worthwhile going on. A second random encounter with orcs is acceptable if you mix it up a bit. A third is pushing it. A fourth is inexcusable - unless you have done something creative and groundbreaking with every one of the latter three.

I also can't stand listening to the same piece of music more than once or twice a day. The radio is right out - even good stations play the same songs all the time.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:48 am »

Dwarf Fortress, however, is FILLED with repetition...  But it NEVER feels the same.  Srsly, I haven't gotten bored of it yet, which is amazing to me, because I'm bored of Age of Conan already, and I only got to 23 >.<

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:25:18 am »

I heard they got rid of the fancy combat system, is that true?

That was the thing that made it sound good.
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:17 am »

This is kinda a de-railment of the topic...  But ah, fancy combat system?  How so?  How was it before?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:54 am »

From what I read, it sounded like the melee combat was more like a third-person action game than an MMO, where every time you click you swing.
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:33:45 am »

No, this is still true.  YOu have 3 directions that you can attack, and pretty much when you click(Or use your hotkeys) them they'll attack.  Obviously, you can't attack as quickly as you can press buttons, but it's really fast, and pretty much encourages button mashing, but intelligently.  The enemy will have shields in a certain direction, and you have to hit in the area where there aren't shields to do more damage.  Also, a lot of "spells" are actually called combos, where you activate it, then attack in the directions that it tells you to.  Once you attack all the directions successfully, then it applies the combo's effects.  ^_^

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:50 am »

That sounds cool, I might have to look at AoC some more.

Movies, movies...   The last good movie I saw was...  Uh oh...  I can't think of a single good movie I've seen recently...  Talladega Nights is pretty funny, even though I despise car racing.  The dialog when he stabs himself in the leg is priceless.  "Use this knife to pry the other knife out!"
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:37 pm »

Personally, I can't stand watching anything with Will Ferrell in it...  The only time I have ever been able to keep from becoming physically ill from watching him was the cowbell skit, which he actually performed quite well.  It still grated on my nerves when he said things, but otherwise he did alright.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 12:37:43 pm »

He has the same Goddamned character in everything he does.  It's annoying after the 2nd movie you see with him in it.  Yet people in America love him. :/

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 12:39:35 pm »

I'm more annoyed by Johnny Depp.  I'd like to see one movie where he looks like a person.  Jack Sparrow, Willie Wonka, Edward Scissorhands, he even looked weird in Secret Window.  All of his characters look like scary monster people.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 01:59:18 pm »

Well, he looked slightly more alright in Benny and Joon.  But he looks like a scary monster person in real life, and there's only so much you can do with makeup...

Actually, I take that back.  Makeup made Ron Perlman look almost halfway respectable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:08 pm »

Oh, I know a funny movie.

Scary Movie 3.  I never saw any of the others, and the new takes on the series suck, but Scary Movie 3 is beyond funny.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:19 pm »

I read through all the threads on forums like this and I have come to a conclusion.
A forum full of very nice, understanding people is nice, but certain topics will turn people into frothing, raving lunatics, especially on the internet.
It even happens on Brass Goggles, which simply put has one of the most polite and friendly communities on the internet.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 02:44:52 pm »

Hence the rules list on the Discussion thread.  Hmm...  I suppose I should probably put movie discussion on there, but I think I'll wait for trouble before putting it up.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:40 pm »

Well you better prepare for trouble.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4