Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Sieges  (Read 1990 times)

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Goblin Sieges
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »

I had an idea for making goblin sieges more matched to the level of your fortress.

Your fortress gets a military value based on the number of dwarves, their attributes and their military skills. Each dwarf would add a different amount to the value depending on how good their stats are. An example: a legendary axedwarf would add 20, if he is also a legendary wrestler he would add 40, if he was also "strong" he might add 42.

A fortress with an elite military force would get a higher military value and therefore more goblin attackers, a fortress without a military would still get sieges because of the dwarves' attributes and the number of dwarves in the fortress.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Sieges
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:39:47 pm »

Sounds a little too cuddly.  It just wouldn't be DF without the threat of being crushed by overwhelming force.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:38 pm »

I'm inclined to agree. Siege strength should be based on wealth; if you don't have the power to protect what you've created, then you should expect to lose it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:16:57 pm »

I'm inclined to agree. Siege strength should be based on wealth; if you don't have the power to protect what you've created, then you should expect to lose it.

Agreed

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:51 pm »

You knew the consequences when you didn't kill that fey dwarf.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:41:32 pm »

It wouldn't even make sence - why should the attacking force pick a heavily guarded fortress if they could raid a wealthy but weak city?

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:45:59 pm »

While I think that it is "cuddly," it could also swing the other way if a player builds up a mighty army.  Perhaps wealth would be a strong determinant while army strength would be a minor one that adds onto the base wealth score.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:54:51 pm »

Population should be a driving factor... afterall, Goblins are not just attacking your fortress for pitiful wealth... they want nothing more but to see the screams of pain and torment on your dwarves' faces.

Also, Traps should count towards military strength

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:51 pm »

Does it make sense for goblins to cut back on an attack on your wealthy fortress because your mlitary sucks? No.

Does it make sense for goblins to INCREASE the severity of an attack on your wealthy fortress because your military is awesome? Absolutely.

I get sick of the same pathetic 2-4 squads attacking over and over again with no success no matter how valuable my fortress is.  The goblins should lay back and build up a massive assault on militarily powerful fortresses. And yes, I agree traps should count to defensive strength.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:05:24 pm »

Does it make sense for goblins to cut back on an attack on your wealthy fortress because your mlitary sucks? No.
They'd bring less guys because they need less guys. The others can go raid some other fortress.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »

Well, I think Sieges will get a major overhaul soon anyway when Toady gets around to the later parts of the Army Arc. Right now, your suggestion would work ok since attackers just sort of spring from thin air anyway.

But once they're forced to come up with armies out of their existing population, I'd rather see intelligent military strategy. So, yeah, in general it'll be smaller forces against an outpost and major forces against a major city.

But I'd also like to see other factors come into play. What if your outpost is on the only route to a major city? It'd be cool to get advance warning that a major invasion force is going to come through your area. They probably won't bother taking the time to wipe you out, but maybe you'd have to deal with units whose only job was to keep you locked up and unable to help. Or you'd get orders from the king to train up as many dwarves in a short time to send out in hit-and-run raids against their supply lines.

Fun stuff possible, there. Especially if they learn from previous attacks. They get a whole squad slaughtered by a small fortress with lots of traps, they know to start sending in more troops, or maybe even some anti-trap troops or siege engines. No more invincible forts just because they've got 20 stonefall traps along a tight corridor!

But wealth should, in general, have a lot to do with how much attention you receive. A small fort on a major invasion route should get more attention then a small fort out in the middle of nowhere. A wealthy fort in the middle of nowhere should probably get more attention then a wealthy fort deep in the mountains surrounded by outposts. You go for the lowest risk with the most gain. As long as the leader is sane, anyway...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »

And just how would they know how wealthy the fort is, how many people are there, or even how strong the military is.  For that matter they really should even know the fort is there unless some odd goblin adventurer stubbles upon it, or they captured a caravan that traded with you.

This would mean that the child snatchers are basically adventurers.  If they get away then a siege should occur not too long after.  If they got a child too then you should expect a siege that actually takes population, wealth, and military into account.

As far as surmising they captured a trader, well all they should know for sure is what you had in the depot last time.  If it is a dwarven trader I would expect him/her to not talk. An elven trader probably wouldn't even be captured by 1000 goblins. Humans aren't really that observant; and I doubt thier traders notice anything besides the goods.

Basically I am saying that goblins appear way too soon now, and nearly always with the wrong amount of strength.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:43:46 pm »

My thought with this suggestion was that older fortresses always kill all goblins in a siege with only a few dwarven soldiers, like Nisth Akath, and that the military value of a fortress would add goblin siegers and also make them stronger, not make the early sieges weaker. An uberfortress of awesomeness +5 would perhaps recieve a siege where most goblins were legendary in their selected wapon.
I don't think this was very obvious in my opening post.

But as Mephansteras mentioned the army arc will probably make this redundant anyways so there may be no point in implementing it.

Altough I think that it would work well even after the army arc is completed to give fortresses a reputation for having a great military, which would make the goblins more determined to take it.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 07:24:33 pm »

Make it so that the number of champions effects the enemies coming.  For every champion you have they bring 2, because the tales of those who have slain many of their comrades in battle likely travel very far.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:07 pm »

Level scaling!?
I am outraged and horrified.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...
Pages: [1] 2