Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: For fans of x-com  (Read 4652 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: For fans of x-com
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 12:33:52 am »

Silent storms tactical map and UFO:AI's or something similar's campaign map would be awesome tbh.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 09:32:23 am »

I liked Apocalypse initially but it got bogged down too easily. The early/middle game when big ships start appearing is where I gave up - they turn up, annihilate your vehicles, there's only a handful of weapons in existence that can even scratch their shields, and even then there's not enough ammo for those weapons to be able to destroy the alien ship, even if every shot is a hit. Meanwhile, maintenance costs are bankrupting you, there's no income to be had from manufacturing and selling advanced kit, and the only group you can raid with impunity have nothing worthy of sale.

Jees dude you need to know when to retreat!

One tactic is to make user of some hoverbikes, although they dont have much firepower they are really hard to hit, so the aliens spend all their time trying to swat them like flies, cos their so cheep you dont have to worry about loosing a few...

Make sure your vehicles are set to engage at max range too and set to go home as soon as they get smacked a few times.

Finally if your getting totally boned dont even engage the UFO's, just raid everywhere they land after their gone until your strong enough to fight them in the air.

As much as I can remember stick to plasma weapons for their range and damage and the slightly more expensive missiles pack a better punch.

Oh yeah, and ground vehicles are completely useless!
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 10:04:35 am »

Retreat? Never!

I did the whole hoverbike swarm thing but got stuck when some serious UFOs came through. About the only thing I had that could be mounted on a hoverbike which did enough damage to get through the armour was plasma cannons, and as noted the ammo was running short. And up to that point I'd managed to swat the aliens wherever they infiltrated, and keep a zero alien presence in the city, so I really didn't want to sit back and watch some unstoppable alien craft messing up all my good work (most notably blasting the absolute crap out of my shiny new base).

I've still got the save somewhere, so I might resurrect it and try <spit> retreating </spit>, but backing off is really not my style. Plus I've got a few other games lined up in front of that...

Oh yeah, and ground vehicles are useless against aliens, but I think they have completely different weapons, so if you fancy blasting the crap out of an organisation's base on the main map, they're a reasonable option - and you won't be using precious ammo or diverting your airborne units.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:07:02 am by Jools »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »

If you need money just find a faction you don't like, the perfect example being sirius, then raid them repeatedly for money. You can also take your vehicles and pound their buildings into rubble, this will cause them massive amounts of cash loss.
Pages: 1 2 [3]