Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: CUDA?  (Read 3422 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
CUDA?
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:12:25 am »

No, I'm not done making retarded suggestions tonight.

CUDA ("Compute Unified Device Architecture"), is a GPGPU technology that allows a programmer to use the C programming language to code algorithms for execution on the graphics processing unit (GPU). CUDA has been developed by Nvidia and to use this architecture requires an Nvidia GPU and special stream processing drivers. CUDA works with the new GeForce 8 Series, featuring G8X GPUs; Nvidia states that programs developed for the GeForce 8 series will also work without modification on all future Nvidia video cards (G9X, GTX and better). CUDA gives developers unfettered access to the native instruction set and memory of the massively parallel computational elements in CUDA GPUs. Using CUDA, Nvidia GeForce-based GPUs effectively become powerful, programmable open architectures like today’s CPUs (Central Processing Units).

ATI has a competing GPGPU (General-Purpose Computing on Graphics Processing Units) thing as well. I'm too tired right now to find it.

Geforce 8s will be integrated into office machines as standard by the time DF nears completion. Would Toady consider putting CUDA support (and whatever it was ATI has) alongside multi-threading on the 'to-do' list? Skimming around, the CUDA based PhysX more than doubled the performance of UT3 on test machines.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CUDA?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:29:10 am »

Last I checked Toady has exactly 0 plans to incorporate multithreading of ANY kind, and even fewer plans for using the GPU.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:35:31 am »

Yeah, using a GPU would be way more complex than simple multithreading, which Toady's stated a few times he's hesitant to even look into.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:44:34 am »

But the performance increase! He wouldn't even have to bother with optimizations.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 04:00:57 am »

Performance increase if you have an Nvidea card.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:08:53 am »

Well, Toady would need to include support for both ATI or Nvidia cards by using both cards' languages and then determining at runtime if the user's computer would support either.  It's definitely something Toady should look into in the future, once cards with support for GPGPU languages are more common.  Not at all the best way to spend time now, however. 

The great thing about GPU programming is the massive parallel processing possible.  There are certainly things that don't adapt well to parallel processing, but things like the cellular atomata algorithms for fluids might be very easily ported, and might result in massive gains.  As it is already, Toady DOES make use of the GPU--DF relies on OpenGL, but there is more that could be done.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:08:38 pm »

"Certain things don't adapt well to multithreading..."

Yeah, like programs that aren't designed for multithreading from the onset.  Stop suggesting it.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 05:50:27 pm »

Stop suggesting it.

No.

Pathing and flows would be so awesomely handled.

But this isn't anything to look into for a few more years, anyway.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:38:31 pm »

Once again, this game is nowhere near finished. There is no need to add such features until the game is fully designed.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »

Yeah, like programs that aren't designed for multithreading from the onset.
But this is still the onset. Of all the points in time to mess around with how the code is structured, best now while it's still an alpha.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:08 pm »

Yeah, like programs that aren't designed for multithreading from the onset.
But this is still the onset. Of all the points in time to mess around with how the code is structured, best now while it's still an alpha.

Uh, no.  Onset is the first couple days, not the end of the fourth or fifth year.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:45 pm »

It's still possible for Toady to make an overhaul to make it multithreaded.  It'd be hard work, and would probably a take a long time, with the only results being improved performance.  It's not something he WANTS to do, you understand?  That doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be done.  You can stop being a total dickwad any time you'd like, Draco.

As far as the OP goes; I think multithreading is way more likely; not to mention less stressful.  As has been mentioned, it won't be 100% supported by all video cards for quite some time.  I've got quite the machine running, but I only have dual 7800s, so it would do me no good.  I have a dual core, however...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:45 pm »

Exactly.    Normal multithreading is more advantageous to more people than this GPU manipulating business.    Just because some amazing new technique exists doesn't mean it's right for every job.

Edit:  Testing the modify inline feature; it's very nifty.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:22:03 am by Capntastic »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 05:25:34 am »

It's still possible for Toady to make an overhaul to make it multithreaded.  It'd be hard work, and would probably a take a long time, with the only results being improved performance.  It's not something he WANTS to do, you understand?  That doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be done.  You can stop being a total dickwad any time you'd like, Draco.

As far as the OP goes; I think multithreading is way more likely; not to mention less stressful.  As has been mentioned, it won't be 100% supported by all video cards for quite some time.  I've got quite the machine running, but I only have dual 7800s, so it would do me no good.  I have a dual core, however...

Hello Tylui, since I first saw you in the announcements section I assume you're new here. Otherwise you'd know that this suggestion is in the top-20, which means three things: every 20th thread is about this, the regulars are bloody tired of if popping up, and Toady already is very very well aware of the suggestion.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:27 am »

Hello Tylui, since I first saw you in the announcements section I assume you're new here. Otherwise you'd know that this suggestion is in the top-20, which means three things: every 20th thread is about this, the regulars are bloody tired of if popping up, and Toady already is very very well aware of the suggestion.

Are you guys always this elitist or only when Toady is on vacation?

Seriously, the topic here is CUDA, or it started as CUDA, so a little diversion into multithreading should be expected.

You don't have to read every thread that comes up.  If there's something you or the drakeling don't want to read, don't read it.

If you have some inability to avoid reading every damn thread due to a compulsive disorder or an obsession with the board that does not justify advocating the censorship of someone's technical post just because you don't want to hear about it.

If Toady or the other mods don't want something discussed they can and will put up a sticky asking that it not be brought up.

Until such time, chill the fuck out.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.
Pages: [1] 2 3