Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Abironul -- Romancemirrors -- A Tale of Ardent Creation  (Read 4503 times)

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abironul -- Romancemirrors -- A Tale of Ardent Creation
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:21:51 pm »

I am new to the whole Dwarf Fortress thing, especially the forums. 

This is my first attempt at a community fortress.  I’m using a world in which I have already done some fortress construction, and feel like trying to build some interesting constructions.  For the most part, I’m sure that others have done these before, but I am too lazy to find good examples right now.

To add to the fun and to just let some creative process flow about, I’ve decided to make this a sort of community after a little over one game year of play.  Ideally, I want to play the game and write little stories, but I encourage readers to request dwarves and I can keep an eye on them.  Though those characters, I hope they interact with the world and perhaps add little bits and pieces to the growing storyline, giving more life to the story through character development.

Some odd things I am including are some dwarven language references from the /raw files.  For instance, he way the dwarven language seems to work when naming fortresses made me think of compound word in German.  I have and will make fairly liberal use of terms from the game’s language files, and will omit special characters for ease of typing.  For example, this is a quick descriptive passage detailing an institution that will be mentioned frequently in the first journal entries:

The Sar Onolshalig is one of the oldest institutions in the nation of Sarstukos.  Founded by Queen Laborcastle II, the Onolshalig is responsible for providing the ruling nobility with thought and planning concerning fortress construction and expansion of the Relonthul.  The real power of the Onalshalig is wielded by the Edirkolruken, whose executive opinions are regarded seriously by the royalty.

Some translations.
Sar Onolshalig: His Constancy’s Mountain Bridle
Sarstukos: The Unswerving Razor
Relonthul: Royal Dominion
Edirkolruken:  Communion of Dungeon Masters; the lowest rank of nobility.

For the most part, however, I will avoid using these terms too much except to add flavor.  I will try to ensure the meaning can be sorted out by context.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abironul -- Romancemirrors -- A Tale of Ardent Creation
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:24:02 pm »

Journal

This is the log of Iton Worldletters, a Royal Surveyor in the employ of the Sar Onolshalig (lit. His Constancy’s Mountain Bridle).  Being the son of a wealthy clothier and naturally glib, he was afforded opportunity beyond the average dwarf.  His family used their wealth to secure a position in the Sar Onolshalig where he apprenticed and learned mining technique and studied thought on fortress design.

Not being nobility, Iton could not lead a life of leisure.  In light of that, he sought to rise to notability in his own way: striking the earth with his pick and muscle, and putting his mind to the dream of a beautiful fortress.

Collected and edited passages from 1060

I am embarking for Abironul soon!  My letters to the Edirkolruken (lit. Communion of Dungeon Masters; the lowest rank of nobility) have caught their attention.   I have been living Craftglow (traditionally known as Rigothrad amongst the nobility), scouring surveys and maps from the periphery of the Relonthul to assess the chance of certain minerals being present.  Without the help of boreholes.  Hopeless.

And then I found it.  North of the Dull Beak, in a tight curve of the Corruption there was a new volcano.  The surveyors had written that it was only a hill, but with an open pit of magma north of the cliffs above the Corruption.  They claimed the land was easy to traverse and rich in plants growing in the alluvial sands.

I endeavored to secure a blessing of the Onolshalig, to no avail.  Thought and direction had been tending toward traditional fortress design once more.  While I was still the lowliest apprentice, this trend toward Ottemgeshud (lit. Sanctum-fortress, traditional and conservative design) accelerated when we received news of frustration in spite of great wealth at Mengakil.

In my frustrations, I turned to Erith Lustertools, who was to become instrumental in my efforts.  I explained to him my difficulties in dealing with the nobility, and divulged to him my dream of a fortress not hastily assembled and abandoned to mere utility.

“I can help,” I recall Erith saying.

“How?” I asked.

“I know Cerol Stoackadetube.”

“How do you know him?” I asked, curious as to how my friend knew the Outpost Liason.

“He’s a relative,” he said flatly, and then grinned.

“You are saying to me, right here, that you are a noble?”

“No.  By marriage,” he hastily replied with almost a stutter, then continued: “He is the only noble I have ever respected.”

“Do tell,” I said. 

I knew full well that Erith was at odds with nobility, sometimes out of principle, sometimes out of contrarianism.  To hear him say that he respected one came as a shock.  Still, the Outpost Liason was a member of the Court’s body of trade, far removed from the likes of the Onolshalig.

“What makes you think that Nural Cerol would have any sway with the placement of outposts?” I asked, sarcastically drawing out the traditional honorific.

“He’s the King’s cousin.”

We wrote.

Months passed, and I tried to put thoughts of the response out of mind.  This was the autumn of 1058.

Come winter, a message arrived from Cerol Stockadetube.  Erith excitedly took me aside, in the corner of the drinking hall.  He grinned and his hands shook as he showed me the letter.

Nerul Cerol sends greetings to his steady and fast relative, Erith Suvaslor.

Generosity is the fashion these days.

Iton Oramlolor will have his land to toy with, but I know the Onolshalig will never stand to have him lead an expedition.  Even with his training and association with the Onolshalig, they are not trustful of outsiders and given to Ottengeshud.  Therefore, he will be given the rank of Relonurnut.  Please congratulate Urnut Iton for me.

This then means someone of nobility must lead this expedition, but the resistence I have found causes me to think there is some displeasure and a lack of expectation with this expedition.  Therefore, I have suggested that someone close to the royal family lead this expedition.

That would be you, Erar Erith.  Congratulations.

Expect the formal letter from Sar Onolshalig soon.

We talked about who to bring, and the list was extensive.  The formal letter arrived soon after and we discovered that we had a standard expeditionary grant for wages and purchases.

Immediately, we culled the list, and chose to hire our mutual friends Doren, a mason, and Lorbam, the Brewer.  Personally, they are wonderful, stout dwarves.  Lorbam is as beautiful as she is stout and skilled at making rum.  I am quite glad to have them and Erith with me.

Lorbam helped us cull the list, and suggested we take two of her friends, a cook and an engineer.  I knew the cook through Erith, but not the engineer.  Lorbam vouched for her.  Erith knew a dwarf by the name of Edem who had some troubles in the army and had since taken up carpentry. 

I figured we only had money for those bribing them to give up their lives and still have some left over to buy what we need for the two years coming.

I was put in charge of organizing the supplies while Erith handled the recruiting.  I knew we would have ample wood, but we will need a way to move that magma safely for what I have in mind.  Therefore, I have purchased a wagonload of bauxite and some food, hopefully enough to let us make it through our journey and until we can strike stone below.  For what are dwarves but savages if they create from everything aside from the earth?

We set out from Craftglow and followed the Slow Beers for several days, taking the wagon along the frozen waters.  Soon, we arrived at the Snarljade, where Edem made a raft, carrying us by water most of the time.

At times, we had to portage, dragging the raft across sometimes rough terrain or frozen sections.  Several times, we had need to partly rebuild the raft before setting out in the water again.

We reached the Amazedslithered as summer arrived, and spent most of our time on the river, camping at night and passing through shattered and disturbing lands.  Goblins lie to the west, and we west made good time to Larothumbo, a human city.  If we do not reach there by winter, I fear that our expedition may be failed.

We have reached Larothumbo.  The remainder of our funds have been spent on food and drink.  The humans were friendly enough, made more so by our purchase of most of their drinks.  From here, it is only a matter of time that we reach the Corruption and then onto our new home.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:28:34 pm »

Spring 1061
Export image: http://mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?fortressName=Romancemirrors

1 Granite, 1061
We have arrived at Abironul.

This place is lovely.  There are indeed plenty of trees, plenty of sand, and even mountain goats.  Erith was able to bring the wagon very close to the magma pool on the top of a gentle rise in the earth.  Just south of us, the forest thickens and drops away toward the valley containing the Corruption.

Not that we will be going there.  Oh no.  We have our own spring and brook nearby, as well, and have dubbed it Touchworm.  Upon awaking this day, everyone seemed to be motivated.  Edem quickly began taking down trees, and the others began unloading goods from the wagon.  Doren and myself began to carve a shelter into the soft, loamy soil behind the wagon.

Of course, I have thought of how to build deep into this rich land.

15 Granite, 1061
With the shelter nearly completed, I have decided to begin the work on penetrating the squifer.  We will dig down as far as we can, and then bring in the magma to force a plug into what will be the pool below.  As for cooling the magma, I have set Obok to consider how it may be best accomplished using a second shaft drilled into the squifer.

3 Felsite, 1061
The cooling pumps for the magma require ample power.  Obok has designed this, and the others have done their share of assembling some crude windmills.  Edem has been remarkably busy, felling tree after tree and making beds for all of us. 

7 Felsite, 1061
Obok is busy designing the pumps while Edem assembles them as fast as he can once Obok gives the word.  The rest of us have been alternating between relaxing and moving all of our perishable stocks into the shelter.

10 Felsite, 1061
Edem is naturally given to rise earlier than the rest of us.  Every time.  He sleeps about a day less than the rest of us.

And then proceeds to boil up cask of rum while he chops down a tree and drags it back to the camp.  Then he will drop in a copious amount of the rat weed into the rum. 

While I do not observe this, the scent is strong in the air when I rise.  It lingers a long while.  Today I found him dragging a tree back to camp as I came out and asked him about his strange ritual.

“Bad habit, I guess,” he stated bluntly.

I guess we all have them.

16 Felsite, 1061
The pumps have been assembled.  Obok pulled the lever and we watched as the windmill drive gears caught, lurching the pumps to life and spilling water out of the mouths.  I have been busying myself with constructing a magma reservoir cut into the earth.  Doren has used some of our bauxite stock to construct several floodgates and grates to keep the denizens of the magma from entering the reservoir.  Considering how close it is to the construction camp, it would come as a surprise if they were to enter.

I saw one of these denizens as I was cutting away the channel to the reservoir.  It surfaced in the magma, or rather, I think it did, for it had the shape of a dwarf.  It stared at me and then disappeared.  While not terrifying, it was an uncomfortable moment, like staring into the eyes of a wild animal waiting to pounce.

18 Felsite, 1061
I have pulled the lever to fill the magma reservoir.  We all watched in awe at the liquid rock steamed in the soil and filled the evening air with its red heat and thick, delicious airs.   The smell of magma heating the soil was like distilling the scent of the earth: hot brimstone and woodfire from saplings and rock in the reservoir combined with the smell of hundreds of herbs.  It permeated my clothing, and even as I write, the scent washes over me.

27th Felsite, 1061
The reservoir has filled.  Obok and Doren seal the reservoir fill and open the gate to allow it to fall into the borehole.  Afterwards, we all assemble in awe of the pillar of steam which emits from below and extends above the forest, a beacon to the world of the industry that we will found here.

Summer 1061
1 Hematite, 1061
I have overestimated the amount of magma needed to block the lowest level of the borehole where water collects.  It has indeed cooled, but still liquid rock glows night and day from the depths.  I am glad to have anticipated the need for the cooling bore and pump.  Obok said he’d rather wait until light to pump, and so we shall.

I anticipate a gleeful night of restlessness.

2 Hematite, 1061
Obok has begun the cooling and again a column of steam rises into the sky.  The pumps are slow, and we may need to consider more power in the future.  For now, it appears as though there is enough water to cool what magma is left in the main bore.

7 Hematite, 1061
It is done.  Some water sits above the rock floor, and upon inspection, it is too much for us to dig without exposing ourselves to the dangers of drowning in a narrow channel.  Obok and Edem immediately smile at the opportunity to build more pumps for draining the dregs of water from the rock floor.

12 Hematite, 1061
I have refilled the magma reservoir, so as it does not cool.  I will have need of it in the future.

23 Hematite, 1061
Obok is incredibly busy with the drain pumps, and has consumed more bauxite to construct yet more mechanisms for the windmills to power them.  While I do worry about the dwindling supply of stone, I know that soon, we will be constructing our new homes the way that dwarves ought to: deep in the firm embrace of stone.

26 Hematite, 1061
I was awoken by a ruckus this morning.  Shorast and Lorbam said that they saw something awful big lurking around the edge of camp, especially near the garbage dump.  Erith thought that they were transient wolves, and would be no problem.

Later in the day, however, Shorast pointed and called out “That’s it, that’s it!” as she gestured toward the woodpile.

Edem looked up from the carpentry, and I awoke from my nap on the back of the wagon to see what could be the largest raccoon ever encountered.  It was easily the size of a small hunting dog and much, much thicker.

As soon as Edem moved toward it, it lunged away, running on it short legs toward the wagon—toward the entrance to the shelter.  That is why, I thought, they smell the food inside.

Edem apparently did not think to grab his axe, and instead grabbed the raccoon by the neck, squeezing it and cursing a long, convoluted swear which could only be uttered by the most cynical and depraved dwarves.

No sooner did he drop the twitching, newly-lifeless corpse of the animal than another one appeared on the other side of the wagon.

“Son of a whore,” yelled Edem, running across the camp and nearly tripping on a mechanism destined for the drain pumps.  He leaped on the next step, tackling the raccoon in a parody of athletic form.

“Little drip dick bastard,” he yelled as he grabbed at it, rolling over it in the process.  I watched as the animal bit into Edem’s arm, who responded with a painful bellow.

“Debobthist!”

Suddenly, Edem beat the raccoon’s head against a rock, I think.  His back was to me, but he kept striking it against the ground.  When he arose, I know why he cursed so.  His nose had been gashed open, and as he approached, picked a tooth from a bloody wound.

“I’m going to take a nap,” he said as he walked by.

11 Malachite, 1061
Edem is back on his feet.  After digging into wet water, feeling it buoy my body like a boat, and being overcome with boredom as Obok continues to get the infrastructure for the drain pumps ready, I feel the need to dig channels into pools.

I never want to drown.

26 Galena, 1061
The pumps are operational, but the water could not be drawn, as the level was too low.  Channels needed to be cut to divert what water there was away from the borehole.  News of this did not reach me for some time, as I was busy with the pool safety project.  I feel was overcome with the need to cut stairways in every pool in the swamp.

We will begin digging downward soon, only a few more pools…

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »

Autumn 1061
3 Limestone, 1061
A man of fire appeared at the edge of the pit.  It did not seem too interested in the goings on, and lingered at the south edge of the magma reservoir for a while.  Certainly, I hope that it does not intend to take up residence in the reservoir.

After talking to the others, it seems prudent that we begin constructing a wall around the magma pit as soon as possible.  Doren agreed, and said he would start the process.

9 Limestone, 1061
A caravan from Sarstukos must be approaching, as we have seen fires above the canopy in the distance.  Edem’s constant defoliation has exposed the top of this hill, and the view is stunning from the tops of the windmills.

12 Limestone, 1061
“Eral Erith,” said the imposing, weathered dwarf at the top of the shelter’s stairs.

“Yeah?” came Erith from the half-light.

“I am Cerol Stockadetube from the Mountainhome.  I have come to discuss your situation,” he said in formal greeting.

“Wonderful.  I’m eating,” said Erith.

Cerol walked into the shelter and sat down across from Erith.

“It’s good to see you cousin,” Cerol said happily.

“And you, as well.”

“Iton,” came Shorast’s voice from the stairs, “They’re done unloading.”

I made an exit.  The trade this year consisted of Abironul acquiring an iron anvil.  In exchange for this and some additional food, we traded most of our bauxite mechanisms. 

Erith later told me that he had negotiated with Cerol frankly and asked them for more bauxite, citing our coming reliance upon magma control.

I have also been informed by a guard, Catten, that wolves had been spotted close to the camp.  He and a couple men ran them off quickly.

27 Limestone, 1061
“Hey, Iton, can we talk?” asked Erith.

“Of course,” I said, wiping rum from my beard.

“It’s about Lorbam,” he said while shifting in his seat, looking away more frequently than usual.

“I know, Erith.  It’s alright.”

“How did you know?”

”We all know, Erith.  We heard.”

I have never seen him blush before.

“I’m very happy for you, Erith.”

I do mean it.  They are good for one another.

Of course, she will wield the pick between the two of them.

4 Sandstone, 1061
Sweet sweet andesite!  And tetrahedrite!  We have metal!  The reservoir will be used to construct some makeshift furnaces until a proper forge floor can be completed, at the order of Eral Erith.

We are happy to oblige.  I have begun construction of a ‘throat’ that will access all of the fortress vertically.  We do not need a sprawling design, but rather will build a column of industry beneath the earth.

I have planned and discussed with Doren about the construction of a room to store the remaining bauxite, lest it be confused with another stone, as well as the new farms and mason’s shop.

In the great opening, the others have begun to rebuild the stairway scaffolds that had been removed to allow for the efficient passage of magma and water.  The beautiful dark stone gleams in the sunlight.  And there will be more.  I shall expand the reservoir to include a second pit, one in which we will pump cooling water from the aquifer to create more obsidian for our work.

Amongst the others, there was a decision.  We shall name the newly opened borehole Sarimtholerith.  I grin when I think of the heresy.

In my thoughts, I can think of a second throat, one that brings magma and water to wherever it is needed in the construction of Abironul.  One that has intricate twists and bends to harness that power that we only glimpsed when we poured the obsidian collar that subdued this new stone.

5 Sanstone, 1061
Erith began to work on building a furnace today.  I came up from Sarimtholerith to fetch a drink, and inquired about this busyness.  He replied that, since we had struck some raw copper below, he would like to make an axe out of it for himself—to cut wood.  He has been bored and needs to get more walking, he claimed.

In any case, the main shaft for the fortress is almost complete and crossed over many times with stone scaffolding hewn from the stone.

6 Sandstone, 1061
I was deep below when I heard screaming above.  Upon emerging, I saw a dead body on the ground next to Doren’s workshop.   The guard Catten had been struck down by a bolt of fire from one of those damnable imps.

Later, I told the others that building the wall was the highest priority. 

Cerol approached me at the end of the meeting, and asked me to make sure Catten received a good burial, for it would be impossible to carry the body on the wagons back to the Mountainhomes.  He also said that he knew Catten had no family, and therefore, we should keep his equipment, as we evidently will need it.

9 Sandstone, 1061
I was awoken by screaming today.  Edem is given to waking early.  I scrambled from the shelter to see him stumbling and screaming, flames engulfing his entire body and smoke filling the air around him.  The merchant guards were running into the smoke at the same time and our dogs were barking madly.

“Oh Armok!  Armok!  It burns!  It burns!” Edem cried out as he staggered a few more steps and fell face first into the dirt, his voice becoming nothing more than a series of shrieks as he writhed about.

By this time, the others were running toward him.

“No, don’t!  Stop!” I cried as I lunged toward Obok, grabbing her shirt and puling her to the ground.  To allow her to grab Edem was suicide.

Erith emerged and cried out in the old tongue when he saw his friend laying motionless on the ground and shrouded in flame and oily smoke.  He was falling to his knees as Lorbam emerged.  She held him, rocking slowly as he wept.

Later in the day, I explained to the group that Doren and myself would give ourselves to digging out stone, and the rest would dedicate themselves to only finishing the wall around the magma vent.  This will not happen again.

Erith pulled me aside, still shaken by what he had seen this morning.

“He’s still burning, Iton,” he said.

“I know, Erith.”

He looked at me.

“We can’t risk flooding Sarimtholerith, we need to get that wall done,” I said, knowing what he wanted.

“I know Iton,” he said and trailed off.

“Doren will make him a good coffin soon and we’ll give him a decent burial.”

12 Sandstone, 1061
The merchants have gone on their way, and I mined out some more copper from the shaft.  The others have begun consuming stone almost as fast as Doren and myself can produce it.

17 Sandstone, 1061
Edem still burns and migrants have arrived at the camp today.  They came across the field, gaping in horror as they walked near Edem’s still smoldering corpse.

I have not had the time to know them all, but I have listed them here in summary.

They are:
Olon Coppercanyons is a female thresher (rather cute).
Fath Clobberedhelm is a male miller.
Iteb Smithburns is a male cheese-maker (rather ugly).
Domas Sinkgears, a male woodcutter; our need of one makes his arrival welcome.
Fath Cavebeard, a female peasant.
Endok Speaksyrup, a male jeweler.
Ducim Paddlepriests, a female metalsmith (also cute).

I understand that they were told by the others that they are to assist with the wall immediately. 

Erith has taken up carpentry in memory of his friend.  He is busying himself by making some beds for the new migrants.

Later, upon exiting the mine and enjoying a plump helmet and some rum, I saw a being made completely of fire emerging from the magma pool.

“Fath!” I yelled at the peasant, with no response.

“Cavebeard!” I called out, to which she responded.

“Take that hammer and shield!”

“What?”

”I said, take that hammer and shield and chase that bastard out of here,” I commanded.

She looked at me in disbelief a minute and then, realizing I was serious, she grabbed the shield and hammer from where Catten fell and went after that beast.

As soon as she approached, it ran from her, leaping back into the fires from whence it came.  She walked back, eyeing the armor on the ground, then smiled at me.

“Is it always that easy?” she asked, still beaming.

“I don’t know, Fath, but it’s your job now,” I replied.  Her smile seemed to melt some, but then returned.  She eagerly went over to the steel plate armor that Catten had left to us and proceeded to start seeing if it would fit.

20 Sandstone, 1061
Fath has taken to her new role quite well, chasing after three imps that had appeared out of the magma and making a hellish noise.  She claimed one of them as they ran, smashing its body with the heavy hammer.  She was forced to run when the other two turned on her once their friend had fallen.

While resting at the wagon, I saw the other two lingering around the body of their fallen comrade.  While mere beasts, I liken them to dogs, surrounding the body of a pack leader.

We also struck orthoclase today deep within the rock quarry below.

20 Timber, 1061
I don’t know whose pick did it, either Doren’s or my own.  We were digging out the new farms and it appeared as though the soil was dry.  But as soon as the wall began falling, water sprang from the material behind it, beginning to rush down into Sarimtholerith.  Below, the cheese-maker was digging a stairwell, to whom we called to get out.

Upon exiting, I told the others to retrieve what ore and stone they could during the flood.  It is then that Iteb told me that Domas was trapped below in the quarry.

I called for Doren and Iteb to join me in cutting a stairway along the flooding channel to the quarry below, as I believed there hope to rescue unlucky Domas.  Erith indicated that he was going to make some new picks, in case the dig took longer.  In retrospect, we will need the extra muscle to dig a new shaft next to the old one, so it is good nonetheless.

We did get Doren out.  He explained that he was terrified at first, sitting in the slowly flooding cavern.  Then, he said that as his eyes adjusted, he could see in the faint blue light.  It was cast about by the mist, giving the room a glow, he said, like he always imaged the afterlife to be, and then he no longer felt afraid.

Of course, he was quite overjoyed when we reached the quarry.

I believe that, even in light of this setback, this is an omen from Rikkur that we will still be successful in spite of my shortcoming of misplacing the farm.

25 Timber, 1061
A dog has claimed an imp, tearing it to pieces, though it was burned terribly in the attack.  It now spends most of its time laying under the wagon unconscious, only occasionally moving about to nuzzle with the others.

28 Timber, 1061
Another imp attack today.  Endok the jeweler was caught unawares, but turned to wrestle the beast.  He did a fair job until Fath arrived, but was burned severely.  We have put him in his room, where he lay still.

Winter 1061
6 Moonstone, 1061
Obok and I had agreed to remove the levers controlling the magma reservoir, believing them no longer necessary and an unnecessary risk to the safety of those below.  Such decisions have turned against us, for now Obok will need to create and install new ones.  Until this project is done, he said, he will no longer work on the wall.  There will be enough strength in the others.

18 Moonstone, 1061
Fath noisily ran off a kobold thief which she discovered near the wagon.  Hopefully that will discourage more from arriving.

23 Moonstone, 1061
Erith is overseeing the magma refill of Sarimtholerith as I plan for a new dig in case this does not work.  I prayed to ancient Rikkur that this work.

27 Moonstone, 1061
The cooling pumps stalled after the magma had filled down to the water above the quarry.  While they were useful for the quick cooling of Sarimtholerith the first time, they are no longer sufficient, and need another windmill attached. 

In light of this, I have decided to tell Erith that we will need to dig a new borehole.  When I informed him of this, he laughed, standing near the steam rising from the pit. 

“We will need to rename it, then,” he said.

“To what?” I asked, still feeling humiliated at the admission of error.

“Odthistrakust.  We will call it what it is worth to us now.”

I felt otherwise, but said nothing… not for now.  Once the new one is built, I will find a way to open it up again, and I have some ideas as to how to put it to use. 

Iteb the cheese-maker indicated that, since the wall around the magma is almost finished, he would like to join in the effort to kill the remaining imps, which Fath has been hunting around the area for several weeks now.

Of course, that request was granted.

1 Opal, 1061
With the magma pool wall finished, Erith and myself talked about how to lay out a perimeter wall with drawbridges.   Certainly the kobold thief is only a harbinger of things to come.   Erith will be leading the others in the construction of that while I busy myself with Obok in preparing the diversion for the underpowered cooling pumps and magma fill.  I believe that, since they worked once for us in filling the aquifer, they shall do so again.  We can worry about more power later, as the labor is better spent on securing our camp which is slowly evolving into a village.

21 Opal, 1061
The cooling pump diversion is nearly done and magma channel have been completed.  The floodgates and controls are in place.

I ordered the filling process this day, and feeling somewhat redeemed in using the existing infrastructure to solve a problem once already solved.  There is no need to create more than we need now, for there are other priorities.

The winters bring rain here, not ice, and we are all beginning to feel the dampness in our current shelter.

9 Obsidian, 1061
The magma fill is done and it has settled below.  There is only a small layer of it on top of the aquifer that requires cooling.  That shall be done soon.

27 Obsidian, 1061
The cooling is successful, but there is some excess water.  I watched Fath and Iteb wrestle a while and pondered the ways in which we may dispose of it without building another pump tower to drain it. 

Of course, it is easy. We dig down and then out, collecting and spreading it.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:31:33 pm »

Spring, 1062
 5 Granite, 1062
From the beginning of the year until now, Erith ordered we take some time.  And what a time we had.  There is substantially less booze now than there was before; confidence and motivation run high.

Progress on the new borehole and perimeter wall proceed satisfactorily.

7 Granite, 1062
I am planning.  I have a stick and mud, and think of how to lay out this new fortress.

(see survey upload at:  …)

11 Granite, 1062
Elves have arrived at our outpost.  They have brought three merchants and mules.

17 Granite, 1062
We have struck tetrahedrite.  I am pleased with this development.

21 Granite, 1062
I have completed the trades with the elves.  We acquired some cloth and alcohol in exchange for some silk socks.

29 Granite, 1062
We have struck microcline.

2 Slate, 1062
Erith has ordered all the others to continue their work on the perimeter.  There is quite the way to go.

The bedrooms in the rock below have been carved and I am busying myself with digging the farms.  This should have been done last year, but at least it is getting done.

14 Slate, 1062
The elves remained around nearly a month observing our practices.  I am sure that the decimation of nearly every tree on this hilltop will not escape their merchants’ reports back to their sovereign. 

19 Slate, 1062
All of the remaining bauxite has been hauled indoors, safely tucked away for when we need it next.

24 Slate, 1062
We are finally striking the wagon and are preparing to move our permanent residences to the new bedrooms deep within the earth.  And then, up onto the hill arrive a stream of dwarves.  Migrants.

A lot of them.

Again, I have only made a catalog of them.

Doren Earthenswords, a male woodcutter (might need another one of those, but we will call him the other Doren)
Rakust Ivorydiamonds, a real looker of a wood cutter.  A name to match her beauty, honestly. 
Uvash Plankstockade, a female peasant.
Ushat Rimwill, a male thresher.
Lorbam Dyestab, a male peasant (the other Lorbam)
Edem Gulfgolds, a female engraver.
Litast Plainschanneled, a male peasant.
Inod Lancerock, a female armorer.
Iton Earthdeath (truly an unfortunate but fitting name!), a female bone carver.
Id priceringed, a female peasant.
Monom Lobsterdoor, a female fisherdwarf
Likot Seizehandle, a male fish cleaner.
Tobul Oilenter, a female bowyer.
Kibuk Notchedmine, a female woodoworker (do we need another?)
Thikot Wondermined, a male mechanic.
Fikod Armorabbeys, a male milker.
Tobul Boatblade, a female cook (we need not another, for we do not yet have a kitchen!).
Momoz Calmships, a female peasant.
Vucar Roofswallowed, a male clothier.
Rakust Spatterchamber, a male peasant (a good name for a soldier, I think).
Datan Ramparttoe, a female peasant.

They have also brought a dog, a mule, a kitten, and a cow.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:17 pm »

So now, if anyone would like a dwarf, give me a brief description:  a nickname, profession, gender, and anything special you'd like.  I'll see if a dwarf matches, or offer a closest match.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:06 am »

3 Felsite, 1062
The new thresher, Ushat, has started to act very strangely.  Rather than doing anything, he sits outside the shelter moaning.

No real words are interspersed with the moaning, it's just... moaning.  He changes pitch occasionally, when he needs to breathe.  It is not very melodic.  I have ordered a craftdwarf shop for him, maybe to keep him occupied.

Endok the jeweler is up and about, but apparently feeling poorly.  He wandered outside the perimeter wall for a spell, and then went back to bed.

8 Felsite, 1062
Ushat immediately took control of the craftdwarf workshop which has been constructed by the sparring ground, and has proceeded to begin gathering andesite from the rooms below. 

12 Felsite 1062
Ushat has finished something already.  He just wandered off in a confused state when he was done.  When asked what had happened, he shook his head and mumbled "agesheshon."  Some of the wrestlers looked into the shop to find a beautiful andesite mug, whose name appears to be inspired by Ushat watching them while creating it.  He also rendered a nice image of bats on the side.

One will need to be careful drinking from it.

Perhaps this could be some sort of prize for the warriors sparring.

I am expanding the bedrooms below to accommodate the new migrants.  Beds are in short supply and the dwarf named Ivorydiamonds has taken up making the required amount for us.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »

Summer, 1062
Contains some crass lanauge.
17 Felsite, 1062

Humans arrived, apparently from the river below.  With them, they have brought Ucim Bitharecen, a diplomat.

Whilst clearing the area for seed storage near the new farm, Erith joined me in loosening the soil.

"We're not profitable, Iton," he said solemnly.

"We will be," I replied, swinging my pick.

"When?  We fucking don't have the farms ready yet, for Armok's sake!  The new drinking hall turned out be right under the aquifer, so now we need to move that, too!  When, Iton?  Tell me when we'll turn a profit," he seethed, swinging his pick angrily.

"Damnit, Erith.  There is wealth here, we just need to persevere," said, maybe a little defensively.  He was right, things were certainly stacked against us.  Leaks developed in the drinking hall last week, forcing yet another small redesign. 

And then, he stung me.

"Profit isn't selling a dead man's socks, Iton."

I can understand Erith's impatience, but things will turn right soon.  There is profit here.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:20:40 pm »

19 Malachite, 1062
We shall make profit.

In glass.  The humans indicated that they are interested in windows and will purchase them at a premium.  Here is our profit, I explained to Erith.  We must focus on preparing the necessary infrastructure for that industry.

I have ordered and organization of our food industry

Though, I must admit, I was a little embarrassed to indeed sell a dead man's clothing for food and drink.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:51:59 pm »

10 Galena, 1062
Things are proceeding smoothly on the construction of an industry -- I have laid out the organization of the farming here.  And, I am happy to report I have made a quick layout of a walled yard near the original camp for growing trees and keeping our animals.

The animals breed quickly, and I am rather anxious to experience veal for the first time.  I'll be having a talk with Shorast soon.

20 Limestone, 1062
It has been a long month.

The drinking hall has been smoothed down, and I soon intend to open yet another shaft down from the surface in order to bring light there.  I have spent a long time underground, and I know the nausea the sun can bring.  I think that our defenders could benefit from fighting without that difficulty.

The least troubling thing is that Endok jeweler has taken the one mined gem and cut it to exquisite perfection.  He calls it "Roarslead the Whims of Focus."  Apparently he was fascinated with the nascent metal industry constructed on the surface, as he has taken expert care in engraving a number of dwarves laboring.

While Endok was busying himself with that, I have been leading the miners in obtaining ore from two veins we have discovered underground, but was required to attend a meeting with Cerol.  I have again requested bauxite.  Cerol was concerned with the state of the fortress, indicating that the nobility are anxious to open the doors to immigration soon and obtain a return on their initial investment here.

I explained to him that we would be exporting glass soon, and he said that it seemed as if we might be overextending there, as we have not yet set up a full farming operation yet.  He had hopes, but the nobility may be growing impatient.  In order to help us along, he offered us a contract to produce goblets and flasks for export.

It makes me wonder what problems may be happening at home.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 11:58:25 pm »

Winter 1062
1 Moonstone
Expansion of the fortress continues, but I had not counted on it soon being necessary to expand our ability to house more dwarves.

A fellow miner, Rimtar, has informed me that the new mechanic, Thikut, just got up and wandered off from his meal.  He just mumbled a few words about needing to be alone and disappeared down into the new workshops.

This sort of behavior is becoming problematic.

19 Opal
I have ordered Tobul to construct a very long, narrow line towards the spring in the north.  Given the surprises of digging through the aquifer the first two times, I want to know the lay of the land through that area fairly well before I begin excavating the permanent fortress there.  Furthermore, I have ordered the construction of some survey monuments to mark the boundaries of the excavation zone.

Upon his return, Tobul reported that he believes there are salmon in the spring around 12 Opal and disappear around today.  How he knows this, I cannot say.  He claims he could smell them through the soil, but I think that is complete bunk.  However, it may be useful to send out some fishers at some point to see what we can catch in the coming year.

Lastly, it appears that Thikut has completed his secretive project.  How yet another obsidian mechanism require such secrecy is rather odd.  However, it is a fine piece of work and will make a wonderful addition to the lane of traps that dear Obok and Thikut have been slowly assembling.

11 Obsidian
Vucar the clothier has given birth to a new baby boy!  She has named him Sakzul, which is an odd name, as it means "trumpet."  I talked to her while she was stitching together sandbags and the baby clung tightly to her beard.  She indicated that she thought it was be a nice name to, as she put it, "herald the beginnings of her new family with Rakust.  He is one of our wrestlers, and I am given to understand by Erith that he has become quite useful at shooting in on others and has, in fact, won the Contestgood cup several weeks running.

This shall be a strong boy.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »

Spring, 1063
1 Granite
I have named the project for bringing light to the drinking hall Anriziril in light of recent events.  While pouring magma for penetrating the aquifer again, some splattered and set a barrel alight.  Smoke still fills the farms and the kitchen area, and Lorbam has ordered that nothing more be placed nearby, though some pranksters dropped several empty barrels onto the blaze.

If I find out who, I will beat them with a chain.  These things can smolder for a month!

Apart from the fire, the progress on Anriziril proceeds nicely and another layer has been cooled properly.  Other progress has been made, as well.

Personally, I am becoming confident in the miners' ability, and believe that this year I will be able to begin the first steps of a massive excavation soon.   In particular, Doren has been a good friend through all of this.  He has checked me on some excesses, but accepts instructions with a nod regardless.  His input has certainly been useful.

Erith has begun the completion of materials we need from the furnace to make glass for the humans this summer.  I believe that we will have some excess materials, and think that it is possible we make the goblets Cerol requested from that.

15 Slate
There was a cave in yesterday.  It was engineered, but a dwarf was still injured.  Even though I had warned others that this was going to occur, and put a piece of string around the dangerous area, Kubuk the wood cutter was wandering around, unaware of the danger.  A large piece of compacted soil landed on him, but he jumped away in time to avoid being killed.  His head still sustained a glancing blow, and I believe that he may be suffering from uthnikidek: his eyes could not stop moving and he slurred his words as we carried him back to his room.  Fortunately, there was no blood, so I believe that he will be fine in the end.

The elven peddlers have also come and gone.  We purchased some drink and more cloth from them in exchange for a couple mechanisms.  Thikud and Obok will be wealthy men some day should they engage in business for themselves.

I have also given some consideration to how to begin making good on payments to the Onolshalig in exchange for their initial investment.  So far, while we have trade goods beginning to flow, there is little in the way of excess that we can afford to give.  So far, though, Erith and myself have been given a free hand here, but that will not last
forever.

A survey of the current state of the outpost has been completed for submission to the Onalshalig, as well.  I wonder how it will be accepted?

10 Felsite
I have done some sort on Sarimtholerith, attempting to reopen the passage, but have designs to experiment with the control of magma and water in vertical pipes hewn into the stone.  While it woud be easier to bring magma from the vent deep into the fortress directly, I believe this experience will be useful in times to come.

I have also begun some experimentation concerning the behavior of magma, to improve my ability to design systems to handle it in the future.

My first discovery is that spot-sealing is difficult, as the volume of magma cannot be precisely controlled.  I believe it would be possible to make a system to do this, but it would take a phenomenal amount of labor to construct.  This is not something for now, but I do have some ideas which I will try when the time comes.

(The mentioned survey can be found here)

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 12:25:41 am »

Summer, 1063

Fortress running smoothly, eerily smoothly.  I took up stone smoothing to pass the time.  Events which once made me ponder the meaning of it all have become almost commonplace.

Edem the engraver, though, was the reason for that.

Edem Gulfgolds held the hammer in her calloused hands, swinging it rhythmically against a chisel weakly wedged against gold-flecked black stone.  Sparks.  A cascade of fine razors and steel glittered momentarily before her. 

Tak. Tak.  Tak.  The hammer beat out the seconds of the day.  The sun rose above the lip of the shaft, heating the black stone.  Soon, hammer stroke shook droplets of sweat on Edem's brow and face.  She dare not wipe her eyes or rub her skin.  Her right eye ached still from the first time she dragged her arm, brilliant with volcanic glass, across her eye.  She began to wear her hair over her eyes, catching most of the daggers. 

The even strokes of the hammer were joined and eventually replaced by a harsh grinding sound.  Edem turned to see Iton behind her, grinding away at the obsidian with a colorful block of stone.  She had shaved the piece of orthoclase for Iton when he asked if he could help with smoothing stone.

"Limul!" he shouted in greeting.  Goldy--yes, that is what she was here, the golden glass clinging to her ever inch.  She did not grasp his interest in smoothing this stone, but was happy for the labor and company.

"Worldletters," she simply responded and returned to her hammering.

The symphony of hammer and block continued and were joined by a hiss.  The sound grew constantly and smoothly until it drowned out all other sounds in the shaft.  It was followed by loud cracking noises as the ground began to shake.  Edem turned to Iton, who leaned back against the scaffolds and smiled brightly, his teeth contrasting with his coal-black beard not yet clad in gold.  Edem looked up, watching the scaffold shake; the sky had become darker, the clouds overhead shone like fire.

Faster than it started, the sound stopped.  Some pops and cracks lingered, then ceased.

"Anriziril," Iton said.

Edem still looked upward thinking that, indeed, the sky was alight with fire.  The baby kicked, interrupting her thoughts.  Disoriented from her thoughts being interrupted, her mind raced a moment.  Things appeared in a flurry of revelation and came together in ways that she never imagined.   

Aware of her surroundings again, Edem began going down the scaffolds and into the dark bowels of the fortress.  Iton said something, but her ears shed the sound.  She had plans.  She gripped a piece of stone from a pile and carried it towards Doren's workshop.  He was there, working on cutting a piece of stone into something.  Edem was undeterred and pushed him out of the shop, his protests landing on her deaf ears.

She immediately set to work.  The coarse work with a large hammer, then down the sizes as more precise cuts became necessary  A twist there, a press here, she thought as the pieces began to fit together.  Unlike the rock, she thought, this could go in both ways: a twist here, a press there, and it would come apart.

Edem continued to toil.  When she tired, she toiled more.  Some came to watch, drinks in their hands.  She put a table up against the side of the workshop to block their view, and they came no more.  She was in pain so profound that she could do naught but lean herself against the workbench, but it was done.

Just once! Just once!  Her mind cried out to use what she had wrought.  Instinctively she did.  She twisted a ring, pushed against the spike, and pulled on the knob. 

It collapsed.  She collapsed.  Pain ran through her, sparks from a hammer working deep inside her.  Crying out, her body ceased obeying her mind, and instinct took over.  It ended quickly.  The first thing Edem was consciously aware of in five days was the child, her son, taking root against her body.

She cut the umbilical cord with her hammer and chisel when she had the strength to sit up.  She cleaned the child as best she could, laid him on the workbench, and assembled the stone puzzle slowly, leisurely.  Cooing and smiling at him, it occurred her: he was so smooth and light. 

"Ablel," she said to the infant. 

I worked with her briefly, but she went quiet like the others.  She returned later, showing me a puzzlebox named, shortly, "Royalmires."  Her new son, Ablel, clung to her hair.  Immediately, though, she returned to the hammer and I was called away to oversee mining.  I honestly believe she will turn this fortress into a work of art.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:24:19 pm »

Autumn, 1063
130x130*3/7:
/4?
/8?

+10%

=10

Cerol Stoackadetubes walked among the thick foliage.  On one side walked his cousin Erith, on the other side, a royal servant, surveyor and designer named Iton.  Behind trailed a squad of marksdwarves, instruments tuned.  Hopefully, Cerol thought, they would not need to make a symphony.
   “Boss,” one of the marksdwarves interrupted, then pointed to a fox sitting atop a dead tree. 
   Erith nodded and the marksdwarf took aim with his crossbow.  A twang sounded and the fox fell.  A short session of congratulations and celebratory hooting ensued.  Erith let them celebrate short time, then motioned for silence.
   “Offerings, Iton,” Cerol continued once the commotion quieted, “The money from the Onalshalig isn’t free.  They want a return on their investment and then some, as it has always been.  Both of you need to make good on the debts soon.”
The figure of a dwarf stood in the forest before them.  It was shorter than a dwarf though, and stood motionless among the trees.  Its arms were outstretched back toward the fortress to the south, its angular black planes a parody of life standing in stark contrast to the many different greens and yellows which surrounded it.  A single finger extended from each ball of a hand, pointing at a right angle.
   “Surveying marker?” Cerol asked, having seen these around outposts before.
   “Absolutely, Nerul,” Iton said formally, smiling.
   “Where are the others?”
   “A ways off.”
   Iton turned to walk, following a line indicated by the statue.  After walking more than one thousand paces, another marker stood in the forest, pointing back the way they came and again back toward the fortress.
   “What is this about, Iton?” Cerol asked, dropping the formality.
   “Digging, Nerul.  All the way down,” Iton said, just as formally as before.
   “To what end?”
   “Exploratory mines, ore, and a giant pit,” Iton replied, loosening his grip on formality.
   “What good is a giant quarry, Iton?” Cerol inquired, lowering his guard as well.  Cerol was disarmed by the energy, enthusiasm and candor of the young Urnut.  He could imagine it being infectious; that could be dangerous.
   “Let’s walk back to the walls, and I will explain,” Iton said, still smiling and visibly relaxing.

As they walked, Iton explained:
   “The pit is only the beginning, Cerol.  Abironul has the raw materials to provide for building material never before used in Sarstukos.  Nature has provided for us, and we shall use it and shape it to our will.  Nature provided mountains, and we took to those, building security and wealth, but ceased there.  But why should be limit ourselves to only what we have known?  To do that, Nerul, is to be like the elves, to claim that nature will always have primacy over our lives and to limit our imaginations.  That is submission to the whims of the world, and that is not what it is to be a dwarf.”
   “With the opportunity, we can and we ought to use what nature has provided.  It is here, Cerol, that I intend to make a fortress of obsidian that did not exist before, and bring from the ground a glass and silver façade to proclaim dwarven ingenuity to the world.”
   Cerol thought a while, his noble sensibilities assaulted by a dwarf with the title of ‘servant’ speaking to a member of the royal family in such a way.  This Iton was like his cousin who stood nearby: self-assured, energetic, and given to recklessness.
   “Iton, you should be cautioned.  I admire your ambition, but there are three practical matters you should consider.  The first is what we have discussed, and that is repayment on the investment here.  That is your first priority, and it will be Erith’s duty to ensure that something comes out of this place apart from ambition and words. 
   “How much?” Iton asked.
   “To stave off the appetite of some who wish to devour this place and make it into nothing more than mines and foundries, somewhere around ten thousand.”
   “We can do that,” Erith interjected, “it will be theirs.  If we can avoid more than your oversight and most direct control, I will be most happy.”
   “I know cousin.  You must follow through with this promise then, and I will tell them to expect more than five thousand, to buy a little more time for this place.  The second matter is that the truces are breaking down, and the goblins appear to be moving again,” Cerol calmly resumed.
   “Yes, Cerol,” Erith responded, “we have fended off one squad already.”
   “Then they know you are here, and the caravans will grow with time, and you will be well advised to prepare your defenses.  You are far from the nearest towns, and help will not be available.” Cerol said, not noting that it was entirely likely that this place be entirely cut off from the rest of the kingdom.
   “Yes, Nerul,” Erith responded flatly.
   “And the last?” Iton asked.
   “Labor.  How do you intend to accomplish this?” Cerol inquired and turned to face Iton squarely.
   “Otungerith,” Iton replied in the old tongue.
   “Shocklabor?”
   “Yes.  Like the heroes and legends who carved out our cities, working as a machine and doing whatever was nec—“
   “You need not remind me of the stories, Iton.  I’m well aware.  Still, you will need more labor here,” Cerol started, then seeing Iton beginning to speak, quickly interrupted him, “you will need to follow the law, of course.  We cannot allow some of the old stories to come back.  Erith will be elevated to mayor, but elections will proceed in the summer.  Organize what you need by then, and make it an institution, Iton.  Erith, do you support this plan?” he concluded and turned to his blood.
   “Yes, cousin, I do, Iton’s plans are ambitious, but they will succeed, I assure you,” he said confidently.
   “Very well, then.  I will make things happen back home.  Now, I understand that you’ve some goblets for trade.”

Specialist290

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:10:54 pm »

Surprised that no one else has commented yet...

Only had time to read the first two posts, but what I've seen seems to be pretty good :) I'll try to catch up on the rest later, hopefully.
Pages: [1] 2 3