Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Retarded Elections  (Read 3425 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Retarded Elections
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:10:14 pm »

I once had a fort of around 60. The mayor i had for 1 1/2 years. He was a Legendary miner who was in my opinion, a god-mayor. Then he was replaced by a brain-damaged, one-arm, one leg blind mason. He got hurt trying to build a house out of stone. He got hurt by his own hand. That was a terrible choice for a mayor.

The purpose of this topic is ask... What are some of your weird/bad elected officials?
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retarded Elections
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:37:10 pm »

Well, my current mayor seemed to be a very fine choice (almost all max stats, couple of legendary skills) untill she ordered the first goods of this fortress to be made, to be precise, 2 adamantine items. Yea, thats perfect, except that we aren't anywhere near any mountains whatsoever. I hate it when they ask impossible things.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:41:25 pm »

Giving one dwarf lots of social skills at Embark is supposed to get him chosen as Expedition Leader, but it never seems to work for me.  My starting smith got chosen over all qualifications and logic in my last fort, and now several elections later he's never lost.  He has almost no social skill and very few friends because he spends all his time down in the forges.  No inane demands yet though - guy doesn't like much of anything.

Anyone have any idea how dwarven politics actually works?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:44:33 pm »

All I know of DF politics is that leaders are elected based on the number of friends they have. (usually)
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:45:56 pm »

Dwarves elect their nobles based upon the size of their beards. Due to no possible way of finding out that statistic, it would seem random to us.

I dislike it when the dwarves elect somebody with a personality profile of a serial killer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:34 pm »

I dislike it when the dwarves elect somebody with a personality profile of a serial killer.

Those are the best kind though!
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:33:47 pm »

I dislike the retarded mayors. The ones which mandate crystal glass every two seasons or so. When you have no rough rock crystal. And you end up with 5 dead glassworkers... and he still mandates the stuff...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:52:49 am »

I once had a blind woodcutter as a mayor.
Next, I had a miner with no friends and he just lurked in the mines
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

My latest fort began to bug me (the architecture was off, causing endless stupid pathing problems and numerous other minor mishaps), and I decided I'd just mess around and test out death by adamantine demons. I had managed to find some, so I set my miners to do their thing. They eventually find it, and amazingly enough, a rag-tag group of miners and militiamen with picks (one of whom was a legendary bonecarver who had been drafted into the military and was a fairly skilled rewstler) actually managed to take down two frog demons with few casualties. However, they were soon overwhelmed as the now seven or eight strong band of croaking amphibious monstrosities went on their merry way, viciously slaughtering the animals that, for some reason, choked the corridors of my exploratory mining efforts.

The rest of the fort is recruited in a last-stand military engagement. Most are slaughtered offhand by a large group of demons, but a few brave souls make a last stand. My legendary woodcutter / axedwarf (who singlehandedly deforested the entirety of the medium-sized area) severely wounded one before getting his axe-hand broken, and then threw himself into its gut, rewarding himself with vomit and a swift death. My mechanist, unarmed and unarmored, decided to grab a shield another dwarf had dropped. Something ripped off his hand as he dove for it, and he was summarily slaughtered.

Anyway, after quite a bit of mayhem, I'm left with a wounded military dwarf with a severe head injury who somehow drug himself to his private room to rest up, and the captain of the guard who had gone to sleep in his own quarters sometime during my organization of the defenses. The captain woke up, miserable as all his friends and his lover had been slaughtered, and I realize I hadn't even had him activated into the military. He decides to go to the now-empty adamantine mines and continue the mining I had forgotten to de-designate, and suddenly starts throwing a tantrum and decided to go have a bite to eat. As he returns to the frog demon laden larder and his certain doom, I get a message.

'(dwarven name I don't remember) has been elected Mayor!'

Apparently, the sole remaining retard dwarf saw fit to elect the tantruming, miserable captain of the guard as mayor, mere seconds before his brutal death. For such an unprepared fort the whole spectacle was really rather epic. I expected utterly whole-sale slaughter by a spirit of fire or something.

Nickzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:21:02 pm »

Ha!

Sadly I don't have any REALLY stupid stories to tell, but I'll find it amusing whenever a newly elected mayor will reward his faithful supporters by mandating something they can't make, and then punishing them with a savage beating when they inevitably fail.

Then I'll find it REALLY amusing when they vote him in again next year. Stupid dwarves. -_-

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:27:43 pm »

Nothing really great here, but I got a chuckle out of it.

I had a mayor who mandated something I couldn't make, or didn't want to make, or something I dunno I just remember I killed him for it. So, I check his profile for relationships to see how many people I'd piss off. Alright, not that many, he even had one person with a grudge. So, I recruit him, send him to the death chamber, pull the lever, falls down a level, pull another lever, is hurt by a spike, pull it again, spikes are down, pull another, he drowns to death. So, I wait about a year and eventually a new mayor is elected, the one who was elected turned out to be the person the Mayor had a grudge against.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:33 pm »

Hooza, my first mayor got fired by some child just becoming peasent before the deadline of her 2 adamantine item mandates (and a ban to sell adamantine items, is she retarded or something? There is NO adamantine at all) passed. The newly elected mayor mandated the construction of exactly one cabinet thus i made him make it himself, LOL. Lowest quality chert cabinet makes this one ecstatic.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:17:34 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 12:28:08 am »

I dislike the retarded mayors. The ones which mandate crystal glass every two seasons or so. When you have no rough rock crystal. And you end up with 5 dead glassworkers... and he still mandates the stuff...

Speilburg and Lucas filled his head with these ideas.

Drolias Flamegut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:48:39 am »

First mayor, first term, first everything, elected just after the elven caravan left in the spring.

Who then immediately mandated the construction of 5 lay pewter items.

Enjoy your dinner in your engraved and double-smoothed dining room, sir.  Oh that grate above you?  We're installing... ventilation.  Yes, fine ventilation for your fine room in recognition of your fine job.  Now we can go back to actually building a practical fortress.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:25:34 pm »

I always let my fort leader sit around in the meeting hall with no jobs all day, just so he gets the highest social skills in the fort. Anytime someone else passes by with no job, they both gain, but the leader gains from everyone while each one only gains a little individually.

However, on my current fort I sent out a bunch of stupid peasants as draftees to get slaughtered in the next ambush. Seven gobbos show up and my twenty haulers tear through them with their teeth and beards. Moments later the fight was over: seven slain goblins, eight slain dwarves, plus four unconscious with brain injuries.

Urist Braindead has been elected mayor.
A mayor's mandate has ended.

Yes, a literally brain-damaged hick with meager social skills and no other skills has become our esteemed leader! We'll see who they elect once they realize anyone other than my chosen mayor will meet a horrible fire-related end right after the election.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: [1] 2 3