Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarves with Goals  (Read 5935 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves with Goals
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:13 am »

Just what we need... MORE sources of neurosis for our dwarves.

It looks neat, but it's leaning towards the Sims side of things, and away from being able to manage a kingdom.  How would this generalize up?  Say I've got 190 dwarves and my last 10 immigrants come in.  Am I going to be required to read their life's goals and desires before drafting them as soldiers or haulers and crushing those dreams?

Maybe only impliment this for the legendary dwarves, as kind of a late-game add on for a limited number of 'real' characters?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »

That's a good point. Late in the game, very few dwarves that show up (or grow up) are going to be allowed to follow their dream.

"You want to be a legendary metalsmith? Sorry, I've got plenty of smiths, and they're all quite skilled. No, I don't need you churning out low quality junk. Now pick up a crossbow and go train, you get to be a GUARD!"

Poor dwarves, never able to fulfill their dreams. Of course, most humans never really accomplish much either, and don't seem to mind that much. So, maybe most dwarves are like that too?

Give them a trait for goal-seeking. Actually, thinking about it, you could just use the trait for how much work they already do. Dwarves who do as little work as necessary probably aren't going to be too upset if they can't manage really lofty goals. They just can't be bothered to put that much work into it. Dwarves who are really active and do as much as possible, will be really upset if they can't do what they want.

Hmm. Actually, that'd be an interesting mechanism for immigration and emigration. Early forts get a higher percentage of dwarves with very strong desires to fulfill their dreams, and have goals along the lines of "Create a masterwork statue". These people go to a new fort because they'll have a chance to do what they've always wanted. Later migrants are more realistic. As time goes on, you mostly get dwarves who are just happy to have work and a room. They have a very low desire to reach for lofty goals, and tend to have the "wants a fine quality bed" sort of goals. You'd also get more bloodthirsty dwarves, since large fortresses get involved in wars.

As long as the migration system handled goals reasonably (as in, no dwarves with lofty goals of woodcutting showing up on a desert map) it could work pretty well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »

As long as the migration system handled goals reasonably (as in, no dwarves with lofty goals of woodcutting showing up on a desert map) it could work pretty well.

But...but...this would be just as amusing as a migrant wave of half fishers/cleaners/dissectors on a desert/tundra/glacier map!  Then they could simply have gotten royally lost or royally screwed.  As long is it isn't very common, I say leave it.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

I like this idea.  In the spirit of a dwarf working toward his goal, if he is craft-minded, the dwarf might not merely highly prioritize a job (say he wants to be a legendary metalcrafter) but might actually generate a job of his own from time to time.  Rather than being struck by a supernatural yearning to create the most amazingly sublime dog leather thong in existence, the dwarf might just decide to make a copper animal trap (or something equally mundane) to the tune of little fanfare and a minor happy thought.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:52:48 pm »

@Dame: Well, ok, don't rule it out. But I'd like to see migrants make a bit more sense anyway. Although, the fish cleaner who really wants to be a metalsmith showing up to a map without water? That kinda makes sense.

"See, I was trained as a fish cleaner, but since you don't need any of those...how about I go work in the forge? Eh? Eh?"

As for dwarves going off and giving themselves jobs...I'd like to see some material prioritization in place before that happens. I mean, let's say I've got a Baron who LOVES nickle items. And I can't mine for nickle, so the only nickle I've got is the two bars I traded for. I'm going to be royally ticked if some stupid fish dissector with dreams of metalcrafting comes by and turns that nickle into a toy boat on his own.

Let's see, how best to handle that? Maybe have them put in a request with the manager? You'd get lists of requested jobs by different dwarves, and you could approve or deny them based on the situation. So, if an aspiring mason wants to make a felsite throne and I've got tons of felsite...go ahead. But an aspiring weaponsmith wants to use my only steel bar to make a spear? Uh, no, let's leave that for the legendary weaponsmith, thanks.

It could even be automated, where the manager only approves requests that use common items, or maybe tasks that are already on the approved list.

Which gives me a new thought. How about in the manager screen, being able to select a minimum/maximum skill level per job? Say, I don't want any dabbling armorsmiths making steel plate mail, but they're welcome to churn out bronze caps. That would help a lot when you've got multiple crafters in a large fort anyway. I frequently have to micromanage my forges to keep the jobs I care about in the high-level forges, while letting the baser tasks go to the training forges. I want to train up my other weaponsmiths, so they can make bolts or whatever, but I prefer to let my highly skilled smiths make the real weapons and armor. Or, say, restrict my bed making jobs to my legendary carpenter but let the apprentices churn out bins where quality really doesn't matter.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:41:53 pm »

Let's see, how best to handle that? Maybe have them put in a request with the manager? You'd get lists of requested jobs by different dwarves, and you could approve or deny them based on the situation. So, if an aspiring mason wants to make a felsite throne and I've got tons of felsite...go ahead. But an aspiring weaponsmith wants to use my only steel bar to make a spear? Uh, no, let's leave that for the legendary weaponsmith, thanks.

This is a mindblowingly cool idea.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:14 pm »

I am crazy-motivated dwarf, and my goal has always been to become the world's first legendary strand extractor. I've been doing odd jobs here and there, and I'm up to competent by now. When I first heard you struck adamantine, I knew I had to come and work for you!!!
So, how much adamantine ore do you have, exactly?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 04:57:14 pm »

I don't think immigrants should have goals that significantly deviate from their professions.  Presumably they have had the time to settle down and figure out what it is they can be successful and happy doing (with the possible exceptions of a few random ones plus some peasants). Children, on the other hand, should be strongly influenced by their goals and even start in on them before they reach adulthood and you can control them.  Maybe they could have an "Apprentice" task where they can stand in a workshop while a skilled dwarf works and gain experience for it.

DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »

Great idea here, one of the better ones.

I'm the Falcon and I approve this suggestion.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Arbitrary Value

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 09:26:16 pm »

What kinds of goals would a dwarf have if, when he was a child, a batman killed his parents?

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:12 pm »

To eventually become a multi-millionare and spend his fortune on all manner of gadgets and widgets to help him fight the Batmen menace, he will bestow upon himself the name the "Anti-Batman".

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 09:49:28 pm »

Could we have a fat one in a suit named the Penguin as well? How about a legendary comedian with no real combat skills as "The Joker"?
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:57:14 pm »

Penguin was outright the best Batman villain ever.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 09:00:21 am »

I dunno, I prefer the Riddler myself. I mean, Penguin was/is just some short fat guy in a suit whats he even do?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:41 am »

Could we have a fat one in a suit named the Penguin as well? How about a legendary comedian with no real combat skills as "The Joker"?
He'd have to have some alchemy skills for that poison the Joker uses.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4