Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starting a Bloodline Game, Intrested?  (Read 4832 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Starting a Bloodline Game, Intrested?
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:19 am »

It's going to have a nice back story (hopefully filled with deceit and betrayal), some interesting rules and will be focused on a harsh, untamed part of the world. Players will have to upload and download the entire 'Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER]' folder (as it has some interesting components of my unreleased modification in it). As a consequence I will create a smaller than standard world. I'm not going to use Regional Prospector. This will be old school except for my usage of the Dwarf Fortress Tweak utility to create the starting story (set up what skills each dwarf has and how many points we embark with). We will revert to an older save in the case of cheating or some other mishap (such as an inactive player).

The Rules

TURNS

- Turns will last for one year, start of Spring to start of Spring, no exceptions. Each ruler is expected to provide an update of what happened during their reign in appropriate detail which includes NO LESS THAN THREE SCREEN-SHOTS. More is encouraged, role-playing is encouraged and so on and so forth.

BLOODLINE

- At the end of a rulers turn he/she must nickname a dwarf with their user-name and change that dwarfs profession to 'retired ruler' as a bloodline feature.

TRADE

- Trading prepared food, bolts and goblets is prohibited as an attempt to stop the exploitation of the senseless AI. General common sense is recommended when dealing with traders. Exploiting the game ruins the fun, do we want that?

TRAPS

- Traps shall be limited. Each ruler can place TWO traps be it stone-fall, weapon or otherwise (with the exception of cage traps, see the next line). ONLY ONE cage trap can also be placed by that same ruler in addition to the other traps they are allowed. The traps can be reconstructed and moved around, including the traps of previous rulers however this is highly discouraged under normal circumstances (unless you decide to reconstruct a section of the fortress and the trap is obsolete in its old area). Traps must be at least seven squares (including diagonal squares) away from all other traps when built AT ALL TIMES. Misuse and abuse of traps is discouraged. I do not consider cages which release animals or leavers which lock doors, retract bridges and do a wonderful plethora of other stuff as 'traps'. When I speak of traps I am talking about thinks that can be made en mass and plopped around the entrance to repel dozens of invaders in an unspectacular fashion.

BRIDGES

- Bridge usage shall be limited. Atom-smashing (using bridges to crush objects, foes, friendlies or otherwise) is strictly, STRICTLY prohibited. Using bridges is allowed within reasonable limits. For example bridges can be hooked up to levers (like a trap) to be raised or lowered causing enemies to fall or be flung off of the bridge into a pit/water/magma below however using bridges repeatedly (more than once) in such a way is also prohibited.

ADAMANTINE

- IF Adamantine is found no ruler can mine more than three squares of it during his/her reign. He/She is also reminded that he/she has a duty to his/her predecessors to ensure that they are not put in a bad position. It is encouraged that a ruler only mine one or two of the possible three rocks.

MILITARY

- Active marksdwarves (crossbow wielding) must comprise 50% or less of the active military. By active military I mean everyone in the Fortress Guard and regular army.

UNWARRANTED MURDER

- You are not permitted to purposely murder dwarves or tame animals for no reason or for an unacceptable reason which breaks atmosphere or immersion (such as; they are a noble, they are useless and so on and so forth). Examples of what is not acceptable: Drafting a noble into a one-man squad and sending him to wrestle an elephant, or drowning some of your immigrants for no reason other than to kill them off. Examples of what is acceptable: Drafting all your useless immigrants into the army and sending them into combat together with minimal training, or sacrificing dwarves in the path of a trap to kill an invader, or creating the POTENTIAL for random dwarves to be harmed, such as levers that flood tunnels and so on and so forth.

CHEATING

- Use of ALL cheating, memory hacking or other such Dwarf Fortress related utilities is prohibited (except Dwarf Fortress TWEAK in the first turn so that I may alter the starting items and abilities to fit with the contexts of the bloodline. After the first turn it will also be prohibited).

Rulers and Their Accompanying
Notable Achievements

Red - indicates a past ruler.
Green - indicates the current ruler.
White - indicates a future ruler.

1. The13thRonin

2. Danaru

3. folo4

4. Wirewraith

5. iluogo

6. Maggarg - Eater of chicke

7. ChJees

8. Aardvark

9. Aqizzar
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:48:16 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a Bloodline Game, Intrested?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:12:11 am »

I'll sign up, but not first.

I'll assume that the OP will start first

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:24 am »

I'll sign up, but not first.

I'll assume that the OP will start first

A correct assumption. Would you be willing to go third?

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:19:07 am »

sure, why not?

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:41 am »

I'd fancy a go, I've never actually played in a bloodline game before

I'll do my best not to cave in the whole bloody fortress!
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:56 am »

I'd be up for a go too. Always wanted to participate in one of these things...

Although I may need a bit of help with the transfering of save files and what not, but otherwise I'm pretty competent as a fortress builder/story writer.

Sounds like fun :)

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:39 am »

count me in  ;D
it will be my first bloodline game but i've made some fine forts on my own

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:13 am »

Well, I've never tried a bloodline or anything, so I'll give it a spin.
I'm not a totally useless leader, apart from in a military aspect, nor am I a particularly good one.
I'm merely competent, able to keep a fort ticking over with a few little projects to keep it lively.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:30 am »

Out of interest, given that we are allowed very few traps, what sort of region will we be starting out in? I only bring this up because starting in a Terrifying area may be somewhat more difficult with the potential for only half as many traps as I have fingers.

That being said, gotta love a challenge. By all means, throw the Giant Zombie Scorpians at us and see what happens.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:39:03 am »

Giant Zombie Scorpions?
I want my mummy.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:47:12 am »

Im in! (I may be new to the forums but i know how to run a Fortress ;D.)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:59 am »

Out of interest, given that we are allowed very few traps, what sort of region will we be starting out in? I only bring this up because starting in a Terrifying area may be somewhat more difficult with the potential for only half as many traps as I have fingers.

That being said, gotta love a challenge. By all means, throw the Giant Zombie Scorpians at us and see what happens.

Probably freezing/terrifying. Be afraid... Be very afraid...

But seriously folks... Anyone can make a dozen stone-fall traps over the only entrance to the fortress. Does that really make for a satisfying game experience? I don't think so...

That is why we're going to focus on military, traps that aren't pre-built (also known as the weapon, cage, stone-fall and other traps) such as magma and water related chamber traps, moats and bridges, good old fashioned fortress design, siege weapons, chained animals and the like.

I was only talking about the pre-built traps particularly any trap which can be massed at an entrance to unskillfully repel invaders in an unspectacular fashion. I do not consider cages which release animals as traps, nor are retractable bridges, nor are levers which lock doors and so on and so forth.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:50:21 am »

erm.. you haven't listed me yet am i in ???

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:55:42 am »

erm.. you haven't listed me yet am i in ???

Fixed and I upped the traps to three per ruler if you include the cage trap.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 11:01:30 am »

My great project will prolly be to make a grand tower :D.
Pages: [1] 2 3