Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Obsessive Compulsion, Stones, Room Dimension and Layout  (Read 2310 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsessive Compulsion, Stones, Room Dimension and Layout
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:08:58 pm »

How do you deal with crippling compulsions to produce stoneless rooms with symmetry in which a layout of the entire fortress works?

A tip for beginners with stones - create a channel and mark it as a dump. Stones will pile up on one another.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessive Compulsion, Stones, Room Dimension and Layout
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:20 pm »

;) a tip for beginners advising beginners: you don't need a channel, it can just be a single tile somewhere. Then your stone is still accessible. This is called Quantum Stockpiling.

If you'd rather not have to designate the stone for dumping, you can set up catapults to fire the stone at a wall above a channel. The stone will hit the wall, then fall down into the channel and quantum stockpile there. It's slower, but kind of less cheaty.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 06:28:30 pm »

;) a tip for beginners advising beginners: you don't need a channel, it can just be a single tile somewhere. Then your stone is still accessible. This is called Quantum Stockpiling.

If you'd rather not have to designate the stone for dumping, you can set up catapults to fire the stone at a wall above a channel. The stone will hit the wall, then fall down into the channel and quantum stockpile there. It's slower, but kind of less cheaty.

My personal code of honour is that using one tile or a simple channel is wrong, but a deep hole or cliff is fine.  Recovering things from the quantum pile should be done seldom or not at all; extra points for throwing things into water where recovery is impossible, but points off if this means dumping rotten corpses et al into the fort's water supply.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:57 pm »

I did not know that. You learn every day with DF I guess. I never really though of it as a "cheat" as the Dwarves seemed to get along fine with stones as long as it was not in the way of furniture.

My personal code of honour is that using one tile or a simple channel is wrong, but a deep hole or cliff is fine.  Recovering things from the quantum pile should be done seldom or not at all; extra points for throwing things into water where recovery is impossible, but points off if this means dumping rotten corpses et al into the fort's water supply.

Rotten corpses can damage the water supply or is this just roleplay? Once I had a Dwarf throw himself into a well and everyone drank out of it as if it were normal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:27:52 pm by Kalimar »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:55 pm »

Roleplay.  Absolutely no in-game effect whatsoever... but would you do it?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:56:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure they get a bad thought from the corpse in the well.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:54 pm »

Roleplay.  Absolutely no in-game effect whatsoever... but would you do it?

I kind of like the idea. I could imagine roleplaying having catacombs turned into a sewer system. Urist thinks the water tastes funny but does not seem to care.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »

Well, there is that...  I'm nice to my dwarves most of the time, but you don't have to be.
A catacombs lined with bones is an interesting idea, though.  Especially since I'm at the Paris catacombs bit of Deus Ex right now.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:04:32 pm »

Wait... why would you lose points for leaving rotting corpses in the well? Under this system, do you lose points for mercilessly butchering kittens? Throwing unwanted milkers into a volcano? Gouging out the eyes of an entire civilization? Killing traders by flooding the depot? With lava?

=|
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »

Actually.. yes. "Butchering kittens," bad thought of "has witnessed death", "Throwing milkers into a volcanoes,"has witnessed death," and possibly "has lost a <close one> recently" a close one being a friend, spouse, parent, child or sibling. Gouging eyes? no... killing traders, "witnessed death".

that's about it I think... Unless of course they have "Doesn't really care about anything anymore" in which case they won't be bothered by witnessing death.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:49:18 pm »

Butchery (of the food-bearing sort) doesn't cause any bad thoughts. Torching your excess cheese makers will only cause bad thoughts if somebody sees it. Since these are presumably new immigrants, the only people to be affected will fall into the volcano shortly thereafter.

I find it sort of funny that eye-gouging is considered A-okay. =)

Traders... same as with unwanted immigrants. As long as nobody sees it, nobody cares. Well, they do care, but only in an "OMG SOCK" sort of way.

I consider it a victory if none of my dwarves care about anything anymore.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:59 am »

Wait... why would you lose points for leaving rotting corpses in the well? Under this system, do you lose points for mercilessly butchering kittens? Throwing unwanted milkers into a volcano? Gouging out the eyes of an entire civilization? Killing traders by flooding the depot? With lava?

=|

I did say it was my personal code of honour.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 05:24:10 am »

Actually here's a little experiment for you, put a butcher shop in the middle of your dining room, then have it constantly butcher kittens (this works better when you've got lots of kittens and few dwarves to monitor), see how many "has witnessed death" personal thoughts you get. :)

On a side note, this is also one of the easier ways to make your entire fortress 'not care anymore'. :)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 05:46:12 am »

I don't think dwarves mind big boulders in their rooms. If anything it should increase room quality a little, as long as it's not blocking access to their bed. :D

*Hidden fun stuff ahead!*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 12:38:03 pm »

Am I the only one to have a gigantic stone stockpile outside my fortress? When people would be idling, I turn switch to gather minerals and let the hauling commence.
Pages: [1] 2