Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unique Structures and Architectural Features  (Read 3187 times)

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Structures and Architectural Features
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 02:58:52 am »

I made a pretty big arena, but I think I'm more proud of the glass hallway I made through the center of a lava pipe.
How in blazes did you accomplish that?

Seconded, i would love to know how you did that. I assume pumping magma out somewhere?

I tried a lot of methods, and the one that worked the best and had the least impact on the surrounding area was dumping water from the brook from above the pipe.  I had to make a certain width into rock, then channel down to do it again.

Code: [Select]
###--     --###
###~-     -~###
###~--   --~###
###~~-___-~~###
###~~*___*~~### :glass hallway

Pumping would have made me cut out a lot of the mountain, which I didn't want to do.  I originally made around 20 sets of steel pump parts to do it, but decided against it after realizing the impact on the surrounding area.

What was really difficult about the project was the magma pipe always wanting to bubble up into where I was working... if I remove a floor tile in the hallway I won't have much time to replace it before passing dwarves get splattered with lava... I'm glad most of my dwarves were naked :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:40:24 am »

55x55x10 stepped pyramid (two up, 6 in, two up, 6 in, 2 up, 6 in, 2 up, top of a 13x13 water tower with two levels below the sand to sink into the aquifer).

Not done yet, I ran out of wood and coal and only have 1 gold bar and 47 or so silver ones, but I need about 90 of each to cap this thing 80% of the silver has come out of tetrahedrite.  I may resort to using colored stone for the "insides" so that only the outside walls (47 blocks) are actually gold/silver.  In text mode you'd never tell the difference without [k]ing over them, and the insides won't show up on 3Dwarf anyway (and Armok only knows if it can render gold walls differently from orthoclase).

At some point I'll need to tear up some of the flooring so I can add walls to make channels for the water to flow in (the 13x13 pump tower is highly inefficient and only contains two pumps per level, however I was expecting to need to have a waterwheel inside for extra power just in case--it also makes for a bad ass top level: 13x13 surrounded by steps of 7 (top of a wall and 6 floors), how much more perfect could you get?) but at the moment I don't even care.

Entirely hollow BTW, building walls on top of walls is a PITA.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:15 am »

I have a book full of designs for DF ranging from large to simply pants on head insane.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:32 am »

99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:58 am »

This is the one I'm a bit proud of. It lacks mechanisms or malevolent designs, but it's beautiful for me.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=17311.0

How do you open maps in 3dwarf? I can't manage it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 09:30:55 am »

...simply pants on head insane.
Do not condemn a valid fashion so easily: http://www.pantsonhead.com/images/magazine.jpg
That is simply epic.
Do giant inverted pyramids count as insane?
(Especially when I decided that having magma waterfalls from the top was a good design feature)
I'll never build most of them, although I do have a great arch as my entrance, carved out from the cliff(Because I can't engrave buildings)

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:02:32 pm »

A raising bridge catapult into a magma vent!

A noticed that there was a spot where incoming goblin squads liked to hang out beyond my walls. This spot was in a cardinal direction to, and very close to, an exposed magma vent. So I put a raising bridge there attached to a lever inside my fort. Eventually the goal for that entire fort was to see how many goblins (if any) I could fling into the magma... I'd delay the entire defense of the fort and hide behind my walls just to get a shot at flinging the little buggers into magma... I'd give myself a pat on the back if I could break a squad in one shot by doing it...

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 02:28:41 pm »

My current for features a Tower of Trials/Destiny.

It is a 5x5 tower about 10 z levels above the surrounding landscape.

At the top of the tower is a single armor stand.

The five floors under the top store enough iron hammers for everyone in the fort.

When I am done with this fort I will draft everyone, switch all weapons to hammer, disable the current barracks, activate the armor stand at the top of the tower, and watch the fun.

There will probably be more injuries than I'd like, but if only a few dwarves explore their destinies in open spaces it will be well worth it.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 04:00:50 pm »

If there were a way to post pictures without an imagehost...

My starting wagon location was very good - it was a natural culdesac, but shaped like a V (with the upper edges nearly joined).  I carved it out to form a box like 'courtyard'.  The entry way  is filled with 3x6 traps.  The trade depot is in this area; the barracks are in the right side arm, one z level above with fortifications.

This also happened to be near the magma vent (left side arm).  I channeled a pool in the center of the courtyard; magma drops in from above out of two openings, via Iron bars (I have a number of batmen on the map, although it would be hilarious to have them fly into magma).

Over the central courtyard pool is a large retractable bridge, allowing entry and access to the fortress and trade depot; retracted, all entry (and exit) is cut off, and anything on the bridge is dropped into magma.

As for the magma, I had a few options.  I could have simply left it alone and had a bubbling pool of 7/7 lava in the courtyard - that seemed dangerous, and I wanted to be able to do the magma fall more than once.  I could have made a drain to the nearby chasm, but that seemed like a waste of magma.  So at the end of the magma pool, I set up flood gates and a ramp down to a large, 2 z level cavern.  Above this cavern, and adjacent to the lava pool, is a water reservoir with 16 floor flood gates spread out.  Having had some experience/fun flooding with magma and water, I figured you would need to drop one on top of the other to properly douse and get obsidian.

Above the floor gates, on the 'ground level' are an equal number (where unblocked) of ground floor gate 'vents' to let steam out (and make with the pretty).  I also have an auxillary side entrance to the obsidian dousing chamber.

All of this is controlled by a series of levers... one for an upper causeway with access to the magma flow tunnel (where I will build goblin cages on occasion), one for opening the magma flow itself, one for the river to fill the reservoir, one to allow magma to drop into the dousing chamber, one to allow water to drop into the dousing chamber, one to retract the bridge, and one for the auxillary entrance to the dousing chamber.  All levers are in a single room and a differentiated via floor tiles forming chinese characters or else simple pictures.

It's quite loverly.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »

Just my pyramid.  See the link in my signature.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »

I'm actually pretty happy with my current project. I found a 4-z-tall waterfall and dug stairs down next to it, then dug tunnels right behind it. All the traffic has to pass right through the mist, giving me four ecstatic dwarves and three happy. Sure, my depot's just sitting outside, but I plan to wall it in to keep it safe.

And once I get my engraved dining room up and running... *cackle*
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 11:24:02 pm »

It took a long time- longer than any other fort I have played- but I built a magnificent Obsidian Tower submerged in a magma tube. Unfortunately, it's got a stuck bug and crashes ten minutes after loading/on abandon, so the world will never see it completed. Sigh.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:32 am »

Huzza!  Almost done.  Dropped it into the 3D viewer and screenied this:

Sadly, you can't tell that the top two layers are gold and silver, or see that I've got some farms set up (large L shaped areas up top, closest and farthest from the camera and the two long spots, close left and far right, second layer up).

Grey thing in the far back is a Fortification tower over the main entrance.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 03:40:37 am »

My current evil baby project is the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness, a prison to end all prisons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I apologise for my horrible handwriting.
This is a basic plan of what the Fortress will be.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:27 am »

There was an epicly huge bridge that someone built over a canyon, if i remember.
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3