Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standard End-Game Conflict Resolution (possible SPOILERS)  (Read 2476 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Standard End-Game Conflict Resolution (possible SPOILERS)
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:35:38 am »

I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be, but this is how it's working for me in my current ~4,000,000☼ fortress of ~130 dwarves.

Currently I send one founding dwarf out to kill goblin sieges or ambushes.

She is a legendary manager, a legendary bookkeeper, a legendary appraiser, a legendary engraver, a legendary wrestler, a legendary shield user, a legendary armor user, and a legendary swordsdwarf. 

She is ultra-mighty, perfectly agile, and superdwarvenly-tough. 

She is in masterfully made steel platemail and masterfully made steel greaves.  The rest of her armor is masterfully made from iron.  (Steel is very precious on this map as there no flux with which to make it.  The only sources of steel are the steel objects bought from the dwarven caravan, including toys and musical instruments.  These are melted down for a minuscule return of usable steel.)

She carries a masterfully made steel shield and a masterfully made obsidian shortsword.

Her record so far is to personally defeat four sixteen-man squads of goblins.  She engaged two of these and a good portion of a third simultaneously.  (It was a five-squad siege, but one of the squads was nearly wiped out by stabby, stabby traps at pinch-points, and fled the field without seeing a single dwarf.)

Goblins frequently go airborne when she hits them.  Sometimes she seems to chase them while they're flying, because they aren't dead or unconscious yet.  If the hit doesn't kill them or knock them out, the landing usually does.  If a goblin passes out she leaves them alone until all conscious goblins are dealt with, then she goes back through and knocks limp bodies around until they're all dead.

I recently saw her hit a goblin so hard I had to scroll (vertically) through two screens to see where it ran into a rock wall.  When I arrived, various chunks of goblin were skittering back away from the impact sight in a grizzly example of splashing mechanics.  One of those chunks was the goblin's head which, appropriately, left the best bloody smear as it tumbled across the ground.

Bitch is mean.  And there are ten more dwarves who are almost as good as she is.

Her thoguths reveal that her lover was one of the other founders; he died in an early goblin raid.  they also show that she has had a number of war dogs as pets; she only has one, now  Soldiers seems to be one of the few professions that build social bonds while working, since they work with other dwarves while sparring.  Numbered among her friends are more than a dozen dead dwarves.

The description of her personality ends with this line: "She doesn't really care about anything, anymore."
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Standard End-Game Conflict Resolution (possible SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:32 pm »

EPIC.

And oh so DF.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:03:02 pm »

now thats one mean dwarf... :o
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »

At some point I'm expecting to see something like this:

Urist Klangarand, Swordsdwarf, canceles sparring: interuppted by Reg Alshenel's ☼Thousand-Yard Stare☼.
ΘπÆ┼

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:36:27 am »

That would send any lesser dwarf running for cover.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:35 am »

Hehe, awesome. Does she even survive bowmasters?
Also, you can import flux from dwarven caravans. Just order some limestone, marble, chalk, etc.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 07:01:48 am »

Hehe, awesome. Does she even survive bowmasters?
She's killed a couple. 

I haven't had a whole squad of goblin bowmen since I started sending her to go Rambo.  That's the last five sieges.   I don't know if goblin bowmen would fare any better.

I honestly expect her to bite it due to a well placed ranged attack at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.
Also, you can import flux from dwarven caravans. Just order some limestone, marble, chalk, etc.
I'll I've ever managed to import are blocks.  I can't seem to make steel with the flux from marble blocks.

Perhaps I should mention that I've been reusing this world since I started the game.  It's only 1070 or so, but I don't get trade agreements anymore.
ΘπÆ┼

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:58 am »

Poor girl... You just know she hates the whole Goblin civilization with an utter passion.

Too bad this didn't happen for you once the Army Arc was complete, then you could send her on a crusade to kill all goblins, everywhere.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:33 am »

Perhaps I should mention that I've been reusing this world since I started the game.  It's only 1070 or so, but I don't get trade agreements anymore.

Seems to me I remember reading that there is only one liason per civ, and if they bite it, that civ will never send another one to any future fortresses.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:52 am »

Seems to me I remember reading that there is only one liason per civ, and if they bite it, that civ will never send another one to any future fortresses.
That was my understanding.

This newest fort started with a liason from at least one civ.  But he or she hasn't offered a trade agreement in quite some time.

I still get messages about elven, human, and dwarven diplomats or whatever.  And I still get the salutation screen.  And the elves still try to talk me out of killing trees.  But I don't get any screens where I can tell them what I'd prefer to see as far as imports.
ΘπÆ┼

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:25:15 am »

That girl has probably become the stuff of legends among goblins. Goblin mothers will scare their kids with that tale. "If you don't finish your roast elf, Likod Goblinkiller will come and slay you!"

I must start a new fortress, right now. xD
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »

I'm imagining the Goblin Chieftan trying to organize a raid against that fort.

"I need you to organize a raid on that fort."
"No, my Chieftan! She-Who-Emulsifies lives there!"
"Would you prefer to face my wrath?!?"
"Gladly! Nazgred the Fleshripper was brought back in a doggy bag! He WAS the doggy bag!"
<pathetically holds up bloody XXGoblin-Leather bagXX>

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 03:26:19 am »

The description of her personality ends with this line: "She doesn't really care about anything, anymore."

Pretty much every solider I ever have ends up with this, they get it from witnessing death (including the goblins they are killing). AFAIK it's a good thing, it somehow makes them less likely to tantrum and I don't think it has any bad side effects.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:42 am »

'Cept maybe your dwarves turning into unfeeling rocks. Which may not be such a bad thing.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »

there was some discussion of this in another thread but "not caring about anything anymore," while utterly badass, used to make them prefer to not do any regular jobs.  and still kind of does.

for soldiers its a non-issue, but its a pain if it happens to a worker for some reason.

and they used to get "has witnessed death" from walking by a butcher shop.  so eventually you'd end up with fortresses of calloused mother%^&*ers that "didnt care about anything" because they saw you killing too many kittens.

That shouldnt happen anymore, but it was amusing when it did.