Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!  (Read 4947 times)

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:21 pm »

Makes me feel bad for the guy who made that huge pyramid.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »

The worst part of this is that we're going to have to wait so long for Toady to release it. I mean, I know bug-squashing takes time and he deserves a break just as much as we would, but...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:47:52 pm by MaxVance »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »

Makes me feel bad for the guy who made that huge pyramid.

Gal, actually.  Sappho isn't called the legendary female gamer for nothing.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 08:55:08 pm »

The worst part of this is that we're going to have to wait so long for Toady to release it. I mean, I know bug-squashing takes time and he deserves a break just as much as we do, but...

Toady could snort crack off a supermodel's chest every weekend and I's still be here waiting patiently for the awesomeness that is the next version.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:10 pm »

It would have to be standard cocaine.  You smoke crack, you don't snort it. 

And I don't think the supermodel would appreciate having a little fire burning on her chest, but for Toady?   Who knows.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »

The worst part of this is that we're going to have to wait so long for Toady to release it. I mean, I know bug-squashing takes time and he deserves a break just as much as we would, but...
you kiddin? A month isn't that long at all. It's pretty awesome with a one man programming team. Hell, it'd be good for a standard multiperson team.

Just thought I'd say this update inspired me to finally donate. Was going to before, but I was waiting for a bit... well, provided I have money in paypal, i decided to stop procrastinating.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:36 pm »

I'd let toady start a fire on my chest in order to consume drugs if it would bring the next release to us sooner.

actually, I'd do it anyways...
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »

To be specific, he's stated the update won't be out until next month, if I read the notes right. That isn't to say that it will be a month away. It is near the end of this month, after all. It could very well be a mere 1 or 2 weeks. That's not long to wait, not even for someone with as tedious a life as mine.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:53 pm »

Aw, Kagus.  You remembered my gender.  :D

And yeah, that pyramid would have been a gajillion times easier with this update, but it also wouldn't have been quite as impressive.  I'm proud of it even if it will be obsolete in a few weeks - and naturally, I figured building constructions would get easier over time, but what can I say, I was taken by a fey mood and I wanted to build it anyway.

That doesn't mean I won't make extensive use of this new tool when it comes out...  Oh the hours of life I'll waste!  It shall be magnificent.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:31 pm »

I feel for you Sappho. My great bridge project isn't quite at the scale of that awesome pyramid, but it'll still have used up probably 2000+ stone blocks by the time I'm done with it. And a solid bridge is, sadly, a very slow structure to make, since I'm making it solid and not using the retractable bridge kind. No mass block laying for me. Just place...wait...place...wait. *sigh*

Really looking forward to this new feature!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 02:31:57 am »

I think a certain DFWall utility just got owned...  Well almost.

Ha! Not quite - it was supposed to be something to temporalily fill the void that I knew was going to be filled some day. It has served it's purporse so it's getting replaced, and I can't say I'm unhappy about not having to fix all its problems while simultainously getting something quicker and better (though I may still develop the pattern constructor, that thing has potential - I'll wait for the new release before continuing though).

Also, I still have my map generator that I've made for quick tile identification - I can very well work on a new automation utility now. Any requests?

Nonetheless some of us aren't too clear on how to get DFWall to work with custom graphics and don't want to develop an acute medical condition while trying to build up a castle or tower, so damn is this a welcome change.  ;D

Hey, why didn't you complain in the DFWall thread? I'd try to help you with that, I needed all the feedback I could get (I still do actually - my pattern recognition tool remains less than perfect :)).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:36:20 am by LordZabujca »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:47 am »

Aw, Kagus.  You remembered my gender.  :D

I have to admit, I hadn't noticed, but I had wondered from time to time, given the choice of namesake.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:04 am »

LordZabujca, would it be possible to have it read the init.txt file to figure out what character set it's using for the pattern? Then all you'd have to do is automagically get it to make the requisite tileset into the format you need... simple! (hah yeah I know, it can be done.. it's also -not- simple, but...)

On a semi-related note, the pattern constructor (once retrofitted to make use of the new rectangles) will be much much faster, at least for making floors. Rectangle wall's may not be as useful, unless you use 1 tile wide, x tile long 'lines' to make them.

Maybe I'll repost this over on the DFWall thread...

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 05:40:04 am »

So what's the first large construction aboveground that everyone is going to build when we get to build multiple constructions?

I'm so building a dwarven fort with a large castle aboveground where all the workshops and military stuff are, and all the stockpiles and living space and everything else underground. :D

Multiple towers, some of which have ballistae on the ground floor! Marksdwarves on the walls!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 06:22:28 am »

Massive Bloody Sacred Aztec (or Mayan) Pyramids for Armok anyone?
For Massive, I mean 7*7 local tiles of them (how many stone needed for them?)
Sacrifice the Goblins, err, butterflies on the top! Let their blood fall to the ground!
Even better if you get the "demons" out so your adventurer could fight to the death to the top!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4