Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise questions  (Read 1424 times)

Stellar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noise questions
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:52:04 pm »

I did read wiki, but it wasn't accurate enough. So does dining room make noise? What about barracks (as they are practising there)? Just trying to figure out what level i should put these as i got all workshops on ground level and fields one level below them, i was planning to put bedrooms on 5 level down and dining room on same level if possible without noise.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Noise questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 04:10:15 pm »

I don't believe dining rooms and sparring areas create noise.  I've never noticed bad thoughts from dwarves sleeping nearby anyway.  If you're worried, just make sure that there are at least 5 spaces in any direction (horizontal and vertical) between the sleeping quarters and other potentially noisy places.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:32 pm »

What about trading at a depot?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:51:38 pm »

Why not do some playtesting and let folks know? That's how those kind of questions get answered in the first place.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:49:52 am »

I'll test it out, but it's going to take some time;  In the mean time does anyone know if shops make noise?  I doubt they do, but I'm curious. ^_^

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:13:48 pm »

[J]ust make sure that there are at least 5 spaces in any direction (horizontal and vertical) between the sleeping quarters and other potentially noisy places.

So if I have a bedroom, then a 5x5 room, then a workshop, there won't be a noise problem in the bedroom?

Or do you mean something else by "5 spaces"?

Thanks.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:21:20 pm »

By spaces, I mean tiles.  So as long as you have a *minimum* of five tiles between the bed and the edge of the workshop, there won't be any noise issues, afaik.  Those tiles can either be mined out or solid, it doesn't seem to make a difference.  However, noise generated by mining can be heard 10-15 tiles away horizontally, I'm not sure if this is also true vertically.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:23:26 pm »

Five spaces:
Code: [Select]
#############
#SSS#####BBB#
#SSS#####BBB#
#SSS#####BBB#
#############
[S]hop
[B]edroom

This also applies vertically:
Code: [Select]
z-0 #SSS# Noisy thing
z-1 #####
z-2 #####
z-3 #####
z-4 #####
z-5 #####
z-6 #BBB# Sleepy thing
The structure between elements doesn't have to be solid rock; it can be anything, including open space.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:27:50 pm »

Ah, thanks very much. I see now that my current noise problems are from my mining activities instead of my workshops.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 03:00:56 pm »

Hah, that makes me wish there was a noise level display somewhere. Sort of like a cross between the Trade Depot accessibility thing and the water levels, where you press a key and it shows you what the noise levels in the fort are. Hell, eventually (say in the next 30 years or so) it could also show stuff like tempurature, air pressure, and stench level at any given point.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »

Hah, that makes me wish there was a noise level display somewhere. Sort of like a cross between the Trade Depot accessibility thing and the water levels, where you press a key and it shows you what the noise levels in the fort are. Hell, eventually (say in the next 30 years or so) it could also show stuff like tempurature, air pressure, and stench level at any given point.

Something similar to the embark screen for the cliffs?  With different colors/numbers for the different gradations might work, without too much work since the information is there, just not displayed yet.  This should be in suggestions.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:05:53 pm »

Hah, that makes me wish there was a noise level display somewhere.

Bloat303.

edit for link.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:09:47 pm by Dwarfu »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 03:11:16 pm »

Bloat303.
Sweet!

This should be in suggestions.
Whoops, sorry, just read the posts and started rambling. Sounds like Toady already has at least some of this in mind though.