Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the most saddening yet noble thing that's ever happened in your Fortress?  (Read 1505 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had my trial-by-blood. Two goblin ambushes showed up. I activated my military, but they were being absoloutely useless, so I activated another squad consisting of Minkot the Founder, my mayor, double-Legendary (Miner/Engraver), Superdwarven in all stats. One of my Original Seven. (The other squad consisted of the other Original Six, but they all decided that the call to duty would be a good time to bugger off and drink.)

So, I send Minkot the Founder into the battle. Idiot is so brave he rushes into the battle armed only with his pickaxe, and armored only with his +Giant Cave Spider Regalia+. No sweat, I think, he moves faster than projectiles so they bowmen won't hit him, and he'll slaughter them in like, one hit.

One of the bastards got a critical headshot in while he was smiting the lone swordsman, and he staggered (at near light-speed) away from the battle, leaving a giant smear of blood on the stone outside.

So, I've got a LOT of high-powered Engravers, owing to the fact that a great deal of the map was solid stone, and I smoothed it ALL, thanks to setting dwarf speed to 1. (heh.) So I started drafting random engravers running by the battle to pick up Armok-knows-what and sending them into the fight. In fact, I drafted every single one that was near the battle, assembled them into a Squad, and sent them into combat against both squads of gobbies - they charged, screaming "For the Founder!"

Don't you know, they clean-sweeped the goblin filth from my fortress environs. Not a one got a SCRATCH.

I have more than enough engravers. I'm going to keep this squad and make them a military hammerdwarf squad. I'll build my barracks down by the underground river (with appropriate walls so nobody falls in), and use that Artifact bucket to make it like, Royal.

For the Founder!

Oh, and I put a sarcophagus in Minkot's office (he was also the bookkeeper), and yes, he's the one in it. Now his successor can keep the books knowing that the most heroic bookie ever to live and die by his own beard is watching over him. (That is, when they get around to electing a new Mayor).

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The most noble but saddening thing I ever witnessed was a soldier who got wounded in combat, fled the battlefield, but just returned in time to rescue the royal cat from a goblin spearman's attack. He died later in his sickbed.
I dumped his corpse along with the goblin chunks into the chasm...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a legendary miner break through into a 'peculiar chamber' and before he could run away, swarms of frog demons assailed him. At this point I had set a wall to be built to seal the damned beasts inside, but my masons were all far away. So, instead of beating his feet, the miner stood around and fought. (I didn't draft him, by the way. He fought of his own accord). He buried his copper pick inside the heart of one of the fell beasts and cracked another's skull with his fists before he was overcome. His sacrifice allowed the wall to be built on time.

To honour him,  I interred him in a 5x5 grave site for him in a sealed tower several levels above the surface.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My Mechanic always seems to have the biggest heart of all the little moles, so I assign him all the health and care and animal etc jobs. He was running out to bring in a wounded soldier, and he was ambushed by goblins. Yeah. And he managed to bring down three before he finally died. None of the other dwarves even tried to bring him or the other dead soldiers in.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i was doing a pretty good fort, 100 dwarves, 6 champions, barony etc, when i get a siege, so i tell the champions to go get suited up and kick some goblin ass,  now, they were all legendary wrestlers and of varying levels in shield and armour use, except for one who was legendary in both,  the tri legendary was faster than all the other dwarves, and makes it to the fight first, right into the super-speedy local leader/masters they have, so i've got a legendary wrestler/shield user/armour user up against an axelord, master lasher, and master speargoblin, he kicks seven shades of crap out of them without taking a scratch, then when his squad arrives, they all get shot to ribbons by the bowgoblin squad, except for another dwarf that was recoving from a sparring injury, so i draft all my civillians (thinking, i'm wanting to start a new fort, there's nothing here.) and send them out to fight the bowmaster, to my surprise, they manage to take him down with only 3 casualties, then the other bowsquad shows up and lets loose, and i set the dwarves to go for the leader again, and they do it, with about 20 casualties, no problem i thought, THEN i get a message about a Hydra appearing and making a beeline for my civillians, it tears them all to pieces, now, by this point, my entire fortress is dead, except for that champion with the sparring injury, who by this point had recovered, so i sent her - Bomrek Palacecat - up to fight the Hydra, with her bare hands.

she wrestled it to the ground, Ironblood Style.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once had a Giant Olm running amok just outside my fortress near a pond. He had slain many, many dwarves that ventured out to fetch water for the wounded. One day, my Metalsmith felt gutsy enough to go for the water. Needless to say, the Giant Olm was on her rather quickly. My Legendary Miner (as well as the Metalsmith's lover) saw his sweetheart getting attacked and rushed in immediately (not even drafted). Two seconds elapsed and the Olm was missing some rather important organs, and collapsed into a heap. Finally my dwarves were free to give water to my wounded, including my Metalsmith with her yellow leg.

The sad part: Not too long after my Miner's heroics, my Mayor decides it was the Metalsmith's fault that nobody created any Bismuth items. She didn't survive the beating my captain bestowed onto her.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile

In a recent fortress, my legendary engraver, who was superawesomelydwarven in every physical stat, and also a legendary mason, who also smoothed and engraved all of the tombs and the Halls of Memory (lots of engravings of him making engravings, of course) went out to build a bridge.

He ran into a goblin ambush. He ran away from said goblin ambush. He ran away from that goblin ambush towards a third direction.

Which had another goblin ambush.

He managed to run around for nearly a month until the human caravan came. The humans killed every single goblin. Except one.
The one who killed the legendary engraver at the end.

I added an extra statue made out of orthoclase to his tomb, in honour of his achievements. He was survived by his nearly 70 engravings of him making engravings.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once had a Giant Olm running amok just outside my fortress near a pond. He had slain many, many dwarves that ventured out to fetch water for the wounded. One day, my Metalsmith felt gutsy enough to go for the water. Needless to say, the Giant Olm was on her rather quickly. My Legendary Miner (as well as the Metalsmith's lover) saw his sweetheart getting attacked and rushed in immediately (not even drafted). Two seconds elapsed and the Olm was missing some rather important organs, and collapsed into a heap. Finally my dwarves were free to give water to my wounded, including my Metalsmith with her yellow leg.

The sad part: Not too long after my Miner's heroics, my Mayor decides it was the Metalsmith's fault that nobody created any Bismuth items. She didn't survive the beating my captain bestowed onto her.

Frankly, I'd have had both the mayor and the Captain executed for that.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

I had a particular miner who had been ordered to open a hole in a floor so I had my epic entrance hall with balconies and things.
However, as he started on the third floor, Goblins attacked.
They defeated my ageing and inadequate fortress guard, and they broke into my huge hall.
Instead of running like any normal dwarf, my noble miner kept digging, and collapsed the roof onto the gobins, giving his life for his fellow dwarves.
After a few months of clearing out, his remains were found and deposited in a golden sarcophagus in his tomb which he had carved himseld but a month before his death.

Yes, it was a coincidence that he was there and obaying my badly thought out orders, but it sounded awesome.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.