Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Once the update hits, it'll be impossible NOT to build a fort near a road  (Read 4561 times)

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile

Assuming a road isn't automatically built from either the Mountainhomes or the nearest running fortress, I imagine your civilization will begin building a road to your fortress. The rate of building will be slow at first, but will pick up based on your wealth and how much you trade with your civ's caravan.

New perfect place: Sand, flux, sedimentary layer, magma, river, underground river, chasm, Adamantine, all civ access and a road.
...in a 2x2 area.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Though I can't speak for everyone, what I'm saying is, for 'RP' reasons or whatever you want to call it, I'll always have to build on a road. Not because it gives me any bonuses or is useful at all...just...you know, it has to feel right.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds more like a settlement logic than a distant outpost logic. If people only settled on roadsides, and roads are only built between settlements, where did the roads come from?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile

Players have learned to build their forts without roads since DF began. There'll be people who can't live with them and people who can't live without, and most of us in between. I'm excited about them and will want them most of the time, but I know sometimes I won't. I like the idea that forts will be easier to locate in Adventure mode (I also wonder why goblin forts will have roads going up to them?). In any case, you'll have your choices still.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I also wonder why goblin forts will have roads going up to them?)
Goblins travel too...
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Angellus

Goblins travel too...
Would it become possible to deconstruct a road like that?

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess the next stop would be to implement road signs...
I'd hate to happily follow a road and just walk into a heavily guarded goblin fortress all of a sudden.

Then again...
Dwarves: Death from Below!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

have a look at that roads picture - gobbos were everywhere nowhere near the end of the road, you'll know before you get there as combat logs will be of goblins smashing hoary marmots ;)
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

have a look at that roads picture - gobbos were everywhere nowhere near the end of the road, you'll know before you get there as combat logs will be of goblins being smashed by GCS's ;)

Fixed.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile

That sounds more like a settlement logic than a distant outpost logic. If people only settled on roadsides, and roads are only built between settlements, where did the roads come from?

Answer: Rivers and coastlines are natural roads. Settlements have been built around water travel since the dawn of civilization.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile

Goblins travel too...
Would it become possible to deconstruct a road like that?

You see a tower-cap sign in crude goblinish. It reads "DETOUR" and has an image of an arrow pointing east in tower-cap.
The road ahead to the south appears damaged, and there is a path of smoothed, engraved microcline leading east.
The giant spiked ball hits you!
The cage trap slams into place around you!
Dexxcalab Spikeycrotch, goblin adventurer, has been captured.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roads are artifacts of a priori primitive truths. They are eternal, universal and absolute.

To answer the OP's question, I'll build near a road only if I want to have that experience, otherwise I'll just go off into the wilderness.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Just a question here - do caravans follow your traffic zones? Is it possible to make other friendlies like liaisons and wagons to walk the road by designating traffic area?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile

We need to be able to get some horses and a wagon in adventure mode, then go around running people down. It would be awesome.

No no no... scratch that...

CHARIOTS!!!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Answer: Rivers and coastlines are natural roads. Settlements have been built around water travel since the dawn of civilization.

Ding, you get ten points.

Also, don't forget a very, very important factor:  Resources.

Pretty much all towns/cities are settled in areas with a resources of some kind.  A lot of them are basic needs, like food and water.  Then you have mining towns and industrial towns, settlements that sprang up around an industry or a valuable commodity.  Then you get more abstracted resources, like trade goods, settlements that sprang up at crossroads or along large trading routes.

Settlement locations should really be decided by a variety of things.  Land Survivability, how easy it is to survive.  Resources, what resources are available there.  Infrastructure, what buildings are already there.

Infrastructure can be further broken down into raw infrastructure, commercial, residential, and industrial, like in Sim City.  It's a fairly good model, so why not.

Lets say there is a location that a large amount of copper is discovered in.  It's fairly survivable, a temperate area.  There is no infrastructure, but there are resources and it's survivable.  Copper is fairly rare and expensive, so a small mining settlement starts.  The settlement is near a river, and a larger city shares that river with the settlement.  Thus, the settlement gets a fair number of migrant workers, who are trying to make a living, and the settlement seemed a good option.

Now you have industrial infrastructure, very little residential infrastructure, and little raw infrastructure.  Raw infrastructure would be things like roads in the city, wells, etc.

The population grows, and so does the demand for commercial infrastructure.  The size and wealth of the populace attracts several other types of workers who supply more resources.  This prompts the residential and raw infrastructure to increase; suddenly roads and well-built houses are popping up, being funded by the copper mines.

Eventually the copper mines run out of copper.  Now, either the city dies, or shifts it's income to other resources.  In this case, it's near a river and has a good infrastructure, so it survives the collapse.  This is easily modeled.  The industrial infrastructure takes a big hit.  The resources no longer applies.  The settlements "Value" goes down; the thing that started the settlement went away, but the settlements value was still large enough to warrant it to continue to grow.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3