Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Once the update hits, it'll be impossible NOT to build a fort near a road  (Read 4564 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Or a tunnel, whatever.

Not for any practical reason, of course, just that bizarre 'logic' I think all of us DFers share. You know, the part of our mind that forces that 2x3 room in a sea of 2x2 rooms to be walled off to correct the asymmetry. Or maybe it forces us to create a route for our magma to flood our fortress...'just in case'.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile

I can't tell from the dev notes whether or not a large enough player fort would make a whole new road/highway in the world. If that's true, then yes, it will be impossible to not build near a road.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile

I can't tell from the dev notes whether or not a large enough player fort would make a whole new road/highway in the world. If that's true, then yes, it will be impossible to not build near a road.

I assure you that if it has to get "Large enough", that I will always be building with no roads :(

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile

I can't wait to settle in a tunnel. It seems like the best natural defense ever. It's also big enough for carts.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Exept against antmen and GCS.  ;D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile

So, the superhighway I built over the mountain and the beltway and my entire road project for the surface of my region to ease the entrance of caravans... that will be pointless? Now the game just does it for me?
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

So, the superhighway I built over the mountain and the beltway and my entire road project for the surface of my region to ease the entrance of caravans... that will be pointless? Now the game just does it for me?

Think of it this way: You invented roads.

I personally want to find a tunnel that breached a cave river. That or MAKE is breach the cave river.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile

I don't know... I like my highway and the funny things that happen on it. I like knowing it happened because i built it that way, I made it possible.

I built a highway of smoothed stone from the edge of my map to the trade depot. It is just over 4 wagons wide. Shortly after its completion caravans and immigration primarily use the road to reach the fortress. Migrants seem to prefer walking on it. Wagons travel faster and in a straight line from edge to trade depot.

Now, you all know how nicely the caravan guards help out if a siege occurs or a thief is discovered.

As a caravan is leaving a kobold thief is found out, typical warning announcement "Thief! Protect the Hoard!" and the camera centers on the thief and the person it is adjacent to who made the discovery.
The man who found the kobold was the wagon driver of the lead wagon. With everything stopped and with no knowledge of just how tightly the game is made, I figured the wagon was stopped and the caravan guard has to take care of it. As soon as I unpause the wagon slams into the kobold at top speed, knocking the kobold back a few spaces before running him over. The wagon did not even slow down. The kobold left behind some blood and a chunk, and was only knocked unconscious. Then the second wagon runs right over him. Sending more pieces away and killing him. Then the third wagon spreads the carnage. Then the 4th wagon spreads the carnage. Then the mounted riders and caravan guard make a brisk march over him like he isn't there. Then the liaison jogs over him, catching up with the caravan after his trek out of the fortress. Then all the previously idle haulers from trade goods hauling duty swarm over the area like ants, picking up the pieces and all of the kobold inventory for storage. The highway has pretty gnarly blood smears over it for a couple days, until it rains and washes the blood away for a nice clean highway again.

...I did that. It is because of me that happened. I made a kobold into roadkill on the highway, and scraped him up and took his stuff. That is my Fortress! That is Ontak Deler, The Arm of Steel!
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had no idea wagons even did that.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We need to be able to get some horses and a wagon in adventure mode, then go around running people down. It would be awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

What are you guys talking about? Why would newly made fortresses have roads connected to them? If anything, I doubt that as it is, us building roads from the trade depot to the edge of the map would connect them to anything. And it should be easy to avoid building fortresses on tunnels or existing roads since there aren't roads everywhere. From the dev note pictures, roads don't even comprise 1% of the world.

I don't get this discussion. Enlighten?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Roads will be the new sand and magma combo. It's not needed and doesn;t take up 1% of the world, but we will want to play them.

New perfect place: Sand, flux, sedimentary layer, magma, river, underground river, chasm, Adamantine, all civ access and a road.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

...Why?

As I understand it, caravans can still access your fort even if you don't build near a road.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile

It sounds like they are saying that the roads are built by game elements, coming into being on their own as what you do effects the world.

So it is now pointless to build my road my way, unless it is in opposition to the road the game builds. Making a highway caravans are guaranteed to use and love, and which ends up imitating aspects of a real life highway, won't happen. The game will build its own road...

Unless the other way it could be going happens. Just as we can send troops to other screens... maybe caravans can be sent... and maybe, I build my own road to the human and dwarven settlements.

...and I deforest the Elven lands to make way for a dwarven bypass. You've got to build bypasses.

~Akroma

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile

Actually, I do want to be able to link a road from my fort to the highway, once the larger-than-one-site stuff comes in, I could have my surrounding county link up the road that runs off the edge of my map (and I could make that as highwaylike as I'd like), and I wouldn't even have to do anything. But when I visit that fort later in adventure mode, I can take the path that leads to my old, battered, abandoned fort, and walk along the once pristine road that turns into a highway through the county, and then the fort...
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!
Pages: [1] 2 3