Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nursery  (Read 2641 times)

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nursery
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:14:04 pm »

During my last siege I noticed that the first casualties were all babies.  Apparently, most of my military are mothers, and carried their newborns into battle with them.

If medics are ever implemented, could we add wet-nurse to their list of duties?  Designate a hospital bed as a crib or something like that?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nursery
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:17:53 pm »

Great! Or they can just use a meeting hall. Which is more fun and cosy, probably. Adds to the community atmosphere, but for those who want alienated dwarven babies the nursery option should be available.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:39:36 pm »

Sounds very usefull, at least as a way to keep children in one place if not infants. I imagine that there could be a "Creche" Zone designation, just like there could be a Corral designation.
For Creche, children idle there instead of in meeting halls, or at least they tend to idle there. The Corral keeps any animals that enter it from leaving it unless they are scared out by an animal.
Ta-da! the two biggest pathway clutter-ers solved!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:40:11 pm »

I think the corral would do better as a size changeable building like roads, bridges and farm plots. Then you would build a fence around the animals, which would make more sense than the animals being intelligent and accommodating enough to stay in one open spot. Use umhk to place the gate, have it move along the fence instead of having a 'facing' so you can put it on or next to a corner. Maybe have a door as a component to use for the gate,along with the raw material for the fence. Would also be great for if you want an actual 'zoo', with enclosures instead of everything crammed into cages.

A nursery would be good as a room plotted out from a piece of furniture, maybe a bed. Any containers (especially chests) would be used to store toys for the infants/children to play with (when kids do play with stuff). Maybe you could 'assign' toys so that your artifacts don't end up as playthings. Probably only babies for the nursery, since dwarf children can actually be a productive part of dwarf society. Hmm, a 'only children harvest' option would be interesting and free up your adult dwarves to do more important things. The kids would probably be pretty unreliable though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 08:45:07 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:45 am »

I think the corral would do better as a size changeable building like roads, bridges and farm plots. Then you would build a fence around the animals, which would make more sense than the animals being intelligent and accommodating enough to stay in one open spot. Use umhk to place the gate, have it move along the fence instead of having a 'facing' so you can put it on or next to a corner. Maybe have a door as a component to use for the gate,along with the raw material for the fence. Would also be great for if you want an actual 'zoo', with enclosures instead of everything crammed into cages.

A nursery would be good as a room plotted out from a piece of furniture, maybe a bed. Any containers (especially chests) would be used to store toys for the infants/children to play with (when kids do play with stuff). Maybe you could 'assign' toys so that your artifacts don't end up as playthings. Probably only babies for the nursery, since dwarf children can actually be a productive part of dwarf society. Hmm, a 'only children harvest' option would be interesting and free up your adult dwarves to do more important things. The kids would probably be pretty unreliable though.

Urist: It's done! The new zoo!
Bomrek:But, Urist...
Urist:I know you want to congradulate me on a jo-
Bomrek: It's a 2 feet tall wooden fence Urist...
Urist:Yes? It adds a nice old timey look!
Bomrek:But that's an untamed dragon.
Urist:Heh.

Great idea though, just, maybe haveing the option for "High fence" would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:46:19 am by Zerox »
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:13:16 am »

Don't dragons have wings?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:45 am »

Not the ones in Dwarf Fortress.

[PREFSTRING:terrible majesty]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:13:10 am »

With a HIGH ENOUGH fence they wouldn't be able to fly out, even if they had wings. =D
If that doesn't sound too tempting, maybe a roof would do for them.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:59:01 am »

With a HIGH ENOUGH fence they wouldn't be able to fly out, even if they had wings. =D
If that doesn't sound too tempting, maybe a roof would do for them.

Oh, you don't have to build the fence into the stratosphere (not that you can until the encounter suits have been implemented, anyway). The far simpler solution is to put a roof on the fence, thus completing what is known as a "cage".
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:24:46 am »

We have those already, don't we?

!!

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:03 am »

I'm still wondering how those are small enough to not let a goblin escape but big enough to keep a dragon in without squashing it

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:53:12 am »

Large, wide-spaced bars, spacious, and chicken wire.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:00:18 pm »

You obviously aren't familiar with dwarven battlemother tactics.  What do you think all those toy hammers are for?