Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Rethinking the issues  (Read 7065 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Rethinking the issues
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:35 am »

Hi.  I've been lost since june 14.... ::) y wasn't aware of the new forums and thought something bad happened to the page... God Forbid!   ;D

Well... the things is... Im totally in favour with the inmigration and maybe welfare issues but I think that to encase in such way the religious issue is a little narrowminded... It's not that liberals should be atheists and that c+ should be christian zealots... Its more about liberals allowing freedom of faith (or non faith) and conservatives controlling the religious elements to justify their actions and condemning their enemies. 
  Besides, I think that the atheist vs christian is letting jews out of the game, and as far as I know they're pretty much involved in the US so... I think that Religion could be touched as an abstract issue without mentioning real religions...

Anyway, its good to be back.

PD: look at my signature and have a little pity over my situation if you know anything about coding...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »

Judaism isn't all that much of an issue in the US.  There's only some 5 million Jews out of a population of 300 million.  In New York, the population of Jews is large enough for them to be a dominent political force, but otherwise there's nothing more then ignorant rants about the Jewish conspiracy.

And I think atheism should be the L+ possition because militant atheism seems like the funier possition to me then militant secularism.  Look at places like Turkey or Lebanon and you can see why some people consider secularism so very important, even to the point of arms.  Forcing atheism on the other hand is sort of missing the point.  "People shouldn't be forced to believe what you want them to!  They should believe what I want them to!"  It seems very LCS to me to take a good idea and drive it so far as to make it a bad idea.

While I'd say that US liberals, including atheists, are much more for secularism then forced atheism, let's keep in mind that LCS ain't typical liberals.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:29:10 pm »

Judaism isn't all that much of an issue in the US.  There's only some 5 million Jews out of a population of 300 million. 

That is still a lot in proportion to other countries. There are around 13 million jews, with around 5 million living in Israel. That means there is are only three million spreaded out of the rest of earth.

Back to the topic, I do think we shouldn't be really involving real religions into LCS. Maybe, it would be a good idea to give the player an option to enter the names of the religions ingame? People don't get offended by the game itself, and those who want real religions can.
And, I second the freedom of faith vs controlling religion/liberal vs conservative view. Liberalism isn't just christianity, since their are muslim, jew, buddhist, hindoeist etc liberals too. Liberals are pro secularist. That's it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:31:01 pm by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »

it's actually more like 15 million, nonetheless, of the world's population 0.2% are jews, while United States has ten times that percentage (second only to Israel, and arguably Monaco).
Still, "everyone knows" that the offcial religion of US is christianity.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:30:37 am »

The issues are correct as they are, since they're essentially the perfect ones to show a silly left/right political caricature that feels a decade or two out of date (like pollution being the main environmental issue rather than anthropogenic global warming). The politics are supposed to be at arms length.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 12:54:29 am »

The issues are correct as they are, since they're essentially the perfect ones to show a silly left/right political caricature that feels a decade or two out of date (like pollution being the main environmental issue rather than anthropogenic global warming). The politics are supposed to be at arms length.

<secular> Amen!

Even the early labor movement in the US was against immigration, as it would steal jobs and lower wages of those already here.

The existing issues are spot on where they have to be. The extremes are extreme, and the moderate stances are moderate.

And all this talk of Jews in the US is very liberal, lol

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 03:19:27 am »

How about making the issues even MORE out of date?

Segregation/Slavery: From Arch-Conservative to Elite Liberal: Black people are still slaves, Sharecropping and Segregation are widely practiced, Segregation is still legal in some parts of the country, The government is entirely race-neutral, Affirmative action and reparations for slavery are in effect

Cold War: Conservatives want nuclear arms race and development of new deadlier nukes while refusing to even talk to the Soviet Union, Liberals want comprehensive peace treaty with Soviet Union outlawing all nuclear weapons and ending Cold War

Women's Rights: Conservatives want women considered property of their husbands, Liberals want Equal Rights Amendment guaranteeing equal pay for equal work and forbidding discrimination on the basis of gender

World War II: Conservatives want us to side with Axis Powers, Liberals want us to side with Britain & Soviet Union, Moderates want neutrality

Great Depression: Conservatives want to let the unregulated free market solve the problem, Liberals want to implement Communism completely

Revolutionary War: Conservatives want us to remain loyal to Great Britain, Liberals want to establish a free and independent democracy in North America

Vietnam War: Conservatives want us to use nuclear weapons to reduce North Vietnam to radioactive rubble, Liberals want us to unconditionally surrender to North Vietnam and give in to any North Vietnamese demands
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 08:03:57 am »

Protestant Reformation: Liberals want to proclaim independence from the Pope, translate the Bible and are against cult of saints, Conservatives support the Pope and are against any changes. Moderates want the priests just to leave them alone. You increase public support by stealing indulgences and giving it to the people.

Serfdom: Liberals are, of course, against it. Conservatives in fact want to bring the slavery back, as now they can't kill their serf whenever they want.

And, of course the variant of the game: Nazarene Crime Squad. Liberals want to reform the Jewish religion, including but not limited to such issues as Sabbath, treatment of harlots, attitude to Roman invaders and abolition of stoning.

Code: [Select]
Peter slashes the Soldier with his Sword!
The right ear is cut off!

Code: [Select]
Pharysee Priest speaks about silver coins.
Judas has gained Wisdom!
Judas has turned Conservative!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:09:08 am by Gantolandon »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »

And, of course the variant of the game: Judean People's Front.

Fixed.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »

I really have trouble seeing the issues as being "out-of-date", let alone 10-20 years out-of-date. Just because climate change has been the top-billed environmental issue for the last few election cycles doesn't mean "ordinary" pollution is not an issue. Clear Skies Act, anyone? Heh, to kill two issues with one item, Yuka Mountain? To say nothing of its force at the city and local level. I did organizing as a college summer job back in '02 and we were specifically focused on "traditional" pollution issues. It's still there, it's still being fought over; it's just not as "sexy" to the mainstream media as climate change.

The other issues don't really seem dated, either. Pollution is the only one that even seems to have any sort of case to be made for it, and that's really just a perceptional thing arising from our ADD corporate news media.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 05:33:13 pm »

Flag burning hasn't been salient since the late '80s/early '90s (there was something in 2005, but it was defeated in the senate and more importantly got almost no media attention because it's just too kitschy at this point), nuclear power doesn't have anywhere near the controversy attached to it as it did in the '70s and '80s, Free speech politics is way more nuanced now given hate speech concepts. That's not to mention what's been intentionally omitted, like mass immigration and foreign policy, globalization and trade policy, race, banking, global warming, and so on which aren't there because they're either too interesting to fit into LCS's silly universe or maybe too new and unassimilated into conventional left-right mythology.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 07:16:08 am »

The funny thing is most wealthy industrialized countries have limits on free speech, against things such as "hate speech".  This is often used in Europe and Canada by Muslims against things they find offensive, such as the Prophet Muhammad cartoons.  And laws against hate speech in those countries were put in place by liberals, not conservatives.  As for flag-burning, I am pretty sure it would require a Constitutional amendment to make it illegal in the United States, unless the Supreme Court rules otherwise... the same as with abortion.  The Supreme Court has ruled that there can be certain limitations on abortion (like against so-called "partial birth abortion"), but a complete ban is unconstitutional, at least for the time being.  A lot depends on Justice Anthony Kennedy, since the Supreme Court has 4 Arch-Conservatives, 4 Elite Liberals, and 1 Moderate/Conservative swing vote.  And if John McCain gets to replace Elite Liberal Justice John Paul Stevens, there would be a clear Arch-Conservative majority on the Supreme Court, which would mean we could have abortion and flag-burning illegal and end separation of church and state completely.  The irony is that 2 of the Elite Liberals on the current Supreme Court (John Paul Stevens and David Souter) were put there by Republican Presidents.  They were obviously Sleepers.  ;D
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:37:33 pm »

The sad thing is that that is actually an accurate representation of real-world politics using the LCS world-view.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:15 am »

I had a few issues the liberal crime squad should champion:

Gas Prices: Liberals like high, conservatives like low.

Elite Liberal: Gasoline is illegal.

Arch-Conservative: Gasoline is free for anyone registered for the draft.

I think people can get the social commentary associated with Arch-Conservative.

War: Liberals don't like war (long hair hippie freaks), and conservatives love it (war mongers).

Elite Liberal: The Army is only for self defense, and other countries are influenced by trade polices, foreign development initiatives, and humanitarian aid.

Arch-Conservative: War is so constant nobody knows who we're fighting.

Public Attire: Conservatives want modesty, liberals want freedom of choice.

Elite Liberal: People can walk around as God originally intended :o

Arch-Conservative: Showing skin is punished by DEATH

I have to use some of the Elite Liberal stances as slogans until they become canon.  After all, ignoring issues nobody cares about is the Conservative thing to do!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 05:48:13 pm »

mmm I think the Gas prices is a little to weird and besides the enviromental issue is already covered by LCS.  you also seem to mix up your issues... imagine if you were arch conservative in Gas prices and elite liberal in war... What draft would you be talking about?

Maybe war is a possibility as "Foreign Policy" Imperialism vs Humanitarian.

Public Attire... or ethics.... or whatever... Althought  It would be nice to have a modifyer that reacts to what your squad is wearing I don't believe conservatives would punish people for showing skin... The women = sex object business is a VERY conservative one, a way to dominate. 

And besides... If you were running about naked, where would you hide your guns??? mmmmm thinking about it, I'd better not ask ;)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5