Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature "Suicides" I completed the quest  (Read 1031 times)

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature "Suicides" I completed the quest
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:43:02 am »

I got the quest to slay a Hydra from some dwarf mayor (hard to find people). When I was running around the area where it should be I suddenly got messages that the Hydra was fighting something. It got killed without me ever seeing it. But it resulted in me having completed my task.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature "Suicides" I completed the quest
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:16 pm »

Hmm? Sounds interesting.. once better monster-townie interaction is in and quest rewards, I think that would be a great way for an enterprising adventurer to 'claim' a reward without having to do anything.

Besides, at this point in time, quests hold very little purpose other than to tell you where a 'big bad' is. Other than that minor factoid yeah, interesting bug find. :)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:51:09 pm »

Is this a bug? There are hostile creatures and hostile creatures, why shouldn't they hate one-another as well. Basically, you're adventurer is just a terrible liar.
Shame on you.

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »

<_< I thought I would get more quests but apparently there were no other mean beasties in the area

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

I was once cave crawling a an elf in adventure mode and just as i crawled under a giant bat (elves don't get attacked by animals) i saw a combat report. At first i thought the bat had aggroed me somehow, but i read it and it turned out a giant mole was ripping a groundhog into little pieces.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 08:37:21 pm »

All I saw was that the Hydra was in pain and then died not sure what killed it, might be able to look it up when I get back to my proper PC,

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

On one hand, yeah, your adventurer is a liar.

On the other hand...  how could the game really check to see if the kill is the result of your actions?  Even if I don't get the killing blow, if I lure the hydra into a cave filled with other monsters and the other monsters kill it, I think I've legitimately fulfilled the quest and deserve full credit.

None of that matters right now, because there's no reward and nobody cares how it happened.  But it's something to consider if rewards and an in-game concept of "lying" about it are ever put in.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:02:17 am »

I think Fable had a nice concept for that. You kill something, you bring a piece of it back and people believe you. No trophy, no quest reward.

"I don' care HOW much that dragon head be weighin'! Ye bring it 'ere or I won't give ye a copper! Now git!"
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 01:35:26 am »

I think Fable had a nice concept for that. You kill something, you bring a piece of it back and people believe you. No trophy, no quest reward.

"I don' care HOW much that dragon head be weighin'! Ye bring it 'ere or I won't give ye a copper! Now git!"
Of course, even that can be subject to lying and deception.  For instance, there is an old german tale, I think, about a hero who fights a dragon...  he finally defeats it, but passes out from his wounds afterwards (very Dwarf Fortress-ish!)

Someone else wanders by, sees the dead dragon, and cuts off its head to take credit.  Tada!

(However, the hero cut off the dragon's tongue while fighting it, and eventually uses this to prove that he was the true dragonslayer.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:31 pm »

Yeah, right now it intentionally marks off the quest for you if you are on-site when the creature dies.  There are some power goals and other things floating around as far as lying about quests and proof and so on.  All in good, slow time...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:40:53 pm »

One time a two humped camel killed a Goblin Master Thief for me.