Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kitten is destroying my fortress!  (Read 3176 times)

DrGamut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Kitten is destroying my fortress!
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:40 pm »

The last wave of immigrants brought a kitten with them. It's killing vermin everywhere, which is neat except that for some reason my dwarves aren't dumping the vermin remains without explicitly being told to and miasma clouds are popping up everywhere (which has NEVER happened in my fort before).

I tried building a cage but the kitten doesn't show up in the list of animals that can be assigned to it.

What can I do?

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten is destroying my fortress!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:01:40 pm »

• Kill the owner, then cage the kitten.
  • Kill the kitten with an elaborate mechanical device.
  • Kill the kitten with a simple atom smasher.
  • Kill the owner and the kitten at the same time.
  • Kill everyone.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

DrGamut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »

I'm about to introduce the kitten to my water reservoir (eww they drink from that).

So why the heck would anyone keep cats when they leave miasma spouting vermin corpses everywhere? Is my fortress overrun with vermin for some particular reason? Most of the dwarves have complaints about flies in their thoughts.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:12:52 pm »

OR designate a refuse stockpile?  Anywhere outdoors, I'd suggest editing the stockpile settings (use the q command to view the pile and choose settings) to ignore stuff like corpses, bones and shells (keep those indoors if you want to use them for crafts), body parts, etc..

OR make a dump ... Make it outdoors as above.  Use the activity zone menu (i I think?) to designate a zone.  The zone needs a z-level drop, so place it on a nearby cliff or have a miner dig a pit (use the channel designation), then use the same activity zone menu to make that zone a dump.  Finally -hah nothing in this game is easy, right?- go to <o>rders -> <r>efuse and tell dwarves to dump other .. then they'll dump the remains of what your kitten kills off the cliff you designated or into the pit you dug.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:16:45 pm »

Bad thoughts from miasma are universally worse than bad thoughts from being accosted by vermin, so it's worth killing all the vermin (or capturing them in cages). You can avoid the miasma by having an outdoor refuse pile, as things that decay outdoors don't generate miasma.

Incidentally, if you let zombies into your fort, they'll occasionally generate a puff of miasma. Awesome. So if you want to make your nobles' quarters be continually enveloped in purple fog, construct them over a pit full of zombies.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DrGamut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:18:20 pm »

OR designate a refuse stockpile?  Anywhere outdoors, I'd suggest editing the stockpile settings (use the q command to view the pile and choose settings) to ignore stuff like corpses, bones and shells (keep those indoors if you want to use them for crafts), body parts, etc..

OR make a dump ... Make it outdoors as above.  Use the activity zone menu (i I think?) to designate a zone.  The zone needs a z-level drop, so place it on a nearby cliff or have a miner dig a pit (use the channel designation), then use the same activity zone menu to make that zone a dump.  Finally -hah nothing in this game is easy, right?- go to <o>rders -> <r>efuse and tell dwarves to dump other .. then they'll dump the remains of what your kitten kills off the cliff you designated or into the pit you dug.

Ahah! The dump other order is what I needed, thanks.

I already have a refuse pit with a dumping zone that my dwarves use, I just couldn't figure out why they wouldn't pick up the vermin corpses.

Thanks again. :)

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:38:32 pm »

Note that vermin gnaw on your food, even if stockpiled. This causes the XX-cat tallow biscuits-XX. Having your food in barrels(especially metal ones) will dramatically decrease this problem, but it still serves as something to consider in the vermin vs. miasma debate.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:10:18 pm »

I just collapse the roof in the fortress grid space next to the food stockpile, that way the refuse has a really short trip.  Sure I may lose a miner in the process sometimes, but not a big deal.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »

rather than killing the kitten, it would be quite easy to lock it in a closet as well, and would not make the owner unhappy.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:22:32 pm »

Or the easiest method ever:
1. Dig a 1x1 channel outdoors.
2. Dump a kitten in it.
3. Profit!!!
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:14 pm »

Or the easiest method ever:
1. Dig a 1x1 channel outdoors.
2. Dump a kitten in it.
3. Poor magma into it and let cool
4.?.?.?.?
5.Profit!!!
Fix'd
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »

Would give owner bad thought.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:56 pm »

I never get why people have a problem with vermin remains.  I simply have a refuse stockpile underground that's accessible by a diagonal only (miasma doesn't travel diagonally).  After that, no problems.  I usually get more trouble from rotting food in my kitchen and butcher shop than from cat-killed vermin.

As to why your dwarves arn't picking up vermin remains...that's a problem.  You could check the refuse under (o)rders.  See if your dwarves are slated to remove refuse.

If you really don't want the kitten running around, use a simple room with two doors: one pet-passable and one not.  Have the dwarf in question walk through the room from the pet-passable door to the tightly-closed door.  The kitten will go through the first, but not the second.  Then, lock both doors, and no more kitten problems.  For reuse-ability, add a retractable bridge and a 1 z-level  pit to dump all your useless pets into.

On a different note: you can have dump zones that are not over a pit.  I personally like to call it the "dwarven compression device," as you can dump over 200 stones onto one tile (I don't think there's a limit).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 10:12:57 pm »

Improve your dining room.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:16 pm »

Improve your dining room.

I'm not sure which of the following interpretations I get from that:

1: If your dining room is nice, no one will care about a little odor.
2: This is a finely-crafted table.  It is encircled with bands of superior quality kitten bone.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist
Pages: [1] 2