Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eating Leather  (Read 1798 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Eating Leather
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:40:16 pm »

It would be a nice little addition that if your dwarves are starving they'll make a meal out of leather goods. Nothing quite like Ibod the Marksman starving to death and watching him eat his quiver in the dead of winter.

Got this idea when I saw the "Glovebreakfast" thread and watching the movie "Ravenous."

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Leather
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:33 pm »

Boil your belt and eat it? Sure why not!
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:33:26 pm »

You do know that there's a difference between leather and skin, right? Leather has been processed with chemicals and stuff, so i doubt anyone would eat their +bonobo leather caps+ just like that.
This is -ing good wood!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »

It's better than starving to death, no?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »

I'd love to see starving dwarves who can't even find vermin look around for dwarves who have no friends.

Then kill and eat them. Even the chunks.

OM NOM NOM
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:51:25 pm »

They also should look for worms, eat grass and bark. All needed to be cooked, so there would be fight in the kitchen.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:29:01 am »

I doubt leather has any nutritional value, so all of your dwarves will probably munch on leather and do absolutely nothing to stave off starvation.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:29 am »

The nutritional value of leather was noted at Leningrad:
Grass and leaves, along with glue and anything leather, were the staples of their diet, as all dogs and cats had long ago been eaten.

In real life you'd have to soak and boil it for a good while, but yeah.  Hunting vermin shouldn't be the only way they avoid starving.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:41 am »

Yummmm, thank you almighty Nenpe, the Itches of Phlegm, my god of death, blight and disease for the wonderful opportunity you presented us to sample the work of your fine craftsman Ebdi Ashcirice's, he prepared for us shoeloaf, trouserpie, vestcakes, and coatscrapes as well as a large pile of uncooked red meat we happened to find near Ebdi's abandoned workshop.

To get to the point, in the long run, I believe leather would be a good dietary supplement, better than rocks or trees.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:43:03 am »

Huh. I didn't know that.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:14:04 am »

Jack London, Burning Daylight:
Of the squirrels, nothing was lost. Even the skins were boiled to make broth, the bones pounded into fragments that could be chewed and swallowed. Daylight prospected through the snow, and found occasional patches of mossberries. At the best, mossberries were composed practically of seeds and water, with a tough rind of skin about them; but the berries he found were of the preceding year, dry and shrivelled, and the nourishment they contained verged on the minus quality. Scarcely better was the bark of young saplings, stewed for an hour and swallowed after prodigious chewing.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 11:49:54 am »

I would really recommend against eating any of that leather.
The real-world technique that is probably used in DF* to process leather is partly described as:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning#Ancient_methods_of_tanning
Skins typically arrived at the tannery dried stiff and dirty with soil and gore. First, the ancient tanners would soak the skins in water to clean and soften them. Then they would pound and scour the skin to remove any remaining flesh and fat. Next, the tanner needed to remove the hair fibers from the skin. This was done by either soaking the skin in urine, painting it with an alkaline lime mixture, or simply letting the skin putrefy for several months then dipping it in a salt solution. After the hair fibers were loosened, the tanners scraped them off with a knife.

Once the hair was removed, the tanners would bate the material (see below) by pounding dung into the skin or soaking the skin in a solution of animal brains. Among the kinds of dung commonly used were that of dogs or pigeons. Sometimes the dung was mixed with water in a large vat, and the prepared skins were kneaded in the dung water until they became supple, but not too soft. The ancient tanner might use his bare feet to knead the skins in the dung water, and the kneading could last two or three hours.

It was this combination of urine, animal feces and decaying flesh that made ancient tanneries so odiferous.
So that leather was first soaked in urine, and then pounded with feces and animal brains.
Somehow I don't think any dwarf that understands that process (Which is all of them, considering all of them can work in a tannery) would be very likely to munch on leather.
If you want to suggest something, how about some seriously negative thoughts for working in a tannery? :)

*-DF time somewhat corresponds to a time in our history when this was how leather was processed, so it's a fairly safe assumption that this is how they process leather.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 01:04:48 pm »

Well I still see eating shit as better than dying.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 01:16:39 pm »

I think doing that might kill you, actually.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »

Oh well,either finish yourself off early(sparing you of the pain and suffering)with a slim chance of survival,or die anyway...

Your choice...
Pages: [1] 2