Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my water system practical?  (Read 1143 times)

DrGamut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is my water system practical?
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:43 am »

My water source is a river on Z -1. I diverted it to an underground reservoir on Z -7. The reservoir has floodgates on both sides, I use it to irrigate my farm plot.

But then I did something stupid, I put a well on Z -5 directly over the channel between the river and the reservoir. It took some time, but naturally my fortress flooded.

Realizing my error, I loaded my previous season's save and placed the well over the reservoir this time. Closing the floodgate to the reservoir depressurizes the water. Of course, if I accidentally left the floodgate open, the water pressure would cause my fortress to flood once again.

Is this a bad implementation of water control or a reasonable solution? :)

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is my water system practical?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:46:07 am »

My water source is a river on Z -1. I diverted it to an underground reservoir on Z -7. The reservoir has floodgates on both sides, I use it to irrigate my farm plot.

But then I did something stupid, I put a well on Z -5 directly over the channel between the river and the reservoir. It took some time, but naturally my fortress flooded.

Realizing my error, I loaded my previous season's save and placed the well over the reservoir this time. Closing the floodgate to the reservoir depressurizes the water. Of course, if I accidentally left the floodgate open, the water pressure would cause my fortress to flood once again.

Is this a bad implementation of water control or a reasonable solution? :)

Risk is fun! You could also put a pressure plate near the well keyed to water pressure and have it slam closed floodgates to seal off every path leading to the well if you're worried you might forget. Sure, dwarves might get caught on the wrong side of the floodgate in an emergency, but... risk is fun.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:00:04 am »

The fun thing about Dwarf Fortress is that you can create new strategies by simply messing around. It's more fun to experiment with own systems rather than ask the forums.

That's a fancy way of saying "Stop asking us and go have fun!".
 ;D
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:54 am »

The fun thing about Dwarf Fortress is that you can create new strategies by simply messing around. It's more fun to experiment with own systems rather than ask the forums.

That's a fancy way of saying "Stop asking us and go have fun!".
 ;D
Not everyone has fun the same way.

Cautious types can enjoy dwarf fortress as well as reckless types.

And just because you tell them it's fun doesn't mean they're going undergo a personality change and start enjoying recklessness.

That's a fancy way of saying "Mind your knitting!".
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:37:29 am »

That's a fancy way of saying "Stop asking us and go have fun!*".
 ;D
*lose
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:04:45 pm »

This reminds me of one time when I was learning how to use machines. My method of automating water drainage was inefficient (120 total power, 110 used. I later remade the same machine with 80 power and it used 50), time consuming (1 1/2 years) and dangerous (half my fortress flooded). But it was a hell of a good time.. ;D
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:39:33 am »

Ideally, you'd want to have a second floodgate water chamber leading off your first one to fill a cistern for the well with.
Magma is overrated.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:40:23 am »

I had so much fun with a similar system that now I put an overflow in on the z-level immediately below the well. as a matter of course 

I usually drain the overflow into a chasm (if available) or a largish, normally empty secondary reservoir.  That way if I stuff up, at least I'll have some time to notice that "Hey there's water running down the overflow!  Better check my floodgates..." before it becomes a case of "Hey, there's water flooding my lower levels!  Better..."

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:50:27 am »

You could also have a pressure plate next to where water enters your reservoir.  Set it to close the floodgates when water depth reaches 7 (I think you can do this if you connect the pressure plates after you lower the 'gates with a lever) or lower if you're paranoid.

Does that work?  I want to try now.  :)

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:34 am »

You could also have the water flow one level deeper than the well reservoir and then pump it up. According to the wiki that will depressurize the water, so that it can't flow further upward even if the pump pumps all the time.