Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Grinder?  (Read 1231 times)

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
Dwarven Grinder?
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:33:41 am »

A machine/trap to make sand from rocks, useful for sandless areas...useful for stone usage/corpse removal...

Example
o Stone
V goes in top
X gets ground up
^ turns to sand

Trap useage
@ person
V goes in top
X gets ground up
~ turns to gore

Pure fun, but bigger things can break them, better material can fix that...

Example
Steel Grinder vs dragon =  grinder breaks + dragon heavy bleeding

Adamantium Grinder vs dragon = grinder works + dragon gore

the grinder would have to work on solid dencity calculations and size to turn rock into rock sand...

Added bonus: random dwarf gore (dwarves make mistakes and hurt themselves, losing fingers hands and such)
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:24:30 am »

I like this idea, since sand seems to be so hard to find...

I would have to put adamantine through it at least once just to mention it on the forum

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:38:14 am »

So you'd get unlimited sand by grinding a single rock? Since sand only appears as patches and doesn't deplete. That sounds kinda cheap.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:22:15 am »

Presumably this would go hand-in-hand with sand depleting over time, which I believe Toady also has planned. Currently sand layers are silly in many ways.

Mind you, for glass you need silicon-bearing stone.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:58 am »

So you'd get unlimited sand by grinding a single rock? Since sand only appears as patches and doesn't deplete. That sounds kinda cheap.
I think he meant like, bag+stone+work at grinder=sandbag.
This idea has been mentioned before, and the response is generally that it's the kind of unrealistic thing DF wouldn't have - sand and grinded stone are different things, at least as far as glassmaking is concerned, and that's the only use sand has currently.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:57:46 am »

Once we have more liquids, the output could be a sand "liquid" that moves even less then magma.
Eh?
Eh!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »

grinders are pretty tasty so I am in favor of dwarves making them
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 03:21:06 pm »

Mind you, for glass you need silicon-bearing stone.

Well, since 25% of the earth's crust is silicon, finding silicon isn't the problem. Getting it pure enough is harder...

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 03:27:26 pm »

grinders are pretty tasty so I am in favor of dwarves making them

So, where in Roe Dyelin do you live?
Patryn of Elvenshae

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:37:20 pm »

At the moment, I'm in the middle of quartzite patches and would really, really like to grind up a few hundred of them. And I'll gladly dig up some diorite or granite (or any hard stone) to carve into millstones if necessary.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »

Seems like grinding stone would be a perfect reason to make lots of steel hammers.  And handing them to the prisoners.  And then much hilarity when they tantrum, break their chains, and cause ... issues.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 05:25:03 pm »

And right there we have the manual - automatic distinction that other powered items have.  You can complete the same thing two ways, one using water/air power and the other using dwarf power.

Grinders would be great fun...   The only problem would be that rock grinders should have blunt things, whereas critter grinders should have sharp and pointy things stuff in them.

I can see it now...  A dwarf grabs a goblin out of a cage and tosses him off the sacrificial platform to the grinder below.  The goblin falls in, there's a brief *ZSHGLITCHZ!* and the goblin's component parts patter down on the ground below.

But there's a problem.  The goblin's weapon got stuck in the grinder, so the next goblin that gets tossed in simply crashes down on top of the grinder and has a few seconds of pain before the weapon loosens itself and the grinder becomes fully operational once again, this time with a goblin already inside the works.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:48:23 am »

I think he meant like, bag+stone+work at grinder=sandbag.
This idea has been mentioned before, and the response is generally that it's the kind of unrealistic thing DF wouldn't have - sand and grinded stone are different things, at least as far as glassmaking is concerned, and that's the only use sand has currently.

Now THAT i like. If this is implemented, do it like that.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Feodoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 09:02:30 am »

I like this idea, since sand seems to be so hard to find...

I would have to put adamantine through it at least once just to mention it on the forum

The first of many "Will it Blend: Dwarf Fortress Edition".