Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Volcano Tower?  (Read 2326 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Tower?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:55:22 am »

I know. I'm going to put the lever inside.

What Evil Mastermind wouldn't?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:49 am »

A really evil one that trusts someone else to pull it while he runs aways?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 10:10:49 am »

About this dropping water in the magma. What if you firstly cover the top with water so its all obsidian, then dig a nice hole in it, pour water, dig down, pour water, etc, till you reach the lowest level. Possible?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:13 am »

^ That would be a bit difficult, as magma pipes constantly refill and would probably melt your miners as they dig down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:40 am »

About this dropping water in the magma. What if you firstly cover the top with water so its all obsidian, then dig a nice hole in it, pour water, dig down, pour water, etc, till you reach the lowest level. Possible?

Falling rock doesn't stick to rocks right next to it.  It also doesn't always fall straight down either, though it's rare and confusing when it doesn't.  (Basically if you drop large enough chunks far enough down often enough you'll see some aberrations, eventually.)

But if the fresh obsidian has a rock wall next to it, then it could stick.  I suppose it would, by default.  I don't know for certain, as I haven't mixed the two, myself.

So it's probably possible to make a pier of obsidian out over the top of the volcano and then pour water down into it and hope that enough of it sticks together that it will form a spike down into the depths of the volcano.

But then you'd have constant problems with the formed obsidian clogging the water path on the way down, sending water where you really don't want it and perhaps blocking out the bottom or completely eliminating all the lava.

Every time the thing clogs itself good it's going to be a shaft filled with water and overflow over the top.  Once the steam clears you'd have to build a pump-shaft down into the mess to get the water out, or extend the pump-shaft you built the time before.  And only once the water is clear can you send dwarves down to clear out the clog.

Perhaps it would work better if started from the edge, though, and instead of building spike of obsidian down in the middle you built a wall out from the side.  Then you could have your pump-tower run down through the rock on the outside of the volcano, and you'd just have to tunnel thorough existing obsidian to get out to the place where your water shaft is clogged.

It would be time consuming as you'd have to send down water shaft after water shaft.

Alternately, you could start at the edge and just keep moving further and further out into the lave each time you encounter a clog.  This could be less time consuming, but you'd have to hope you got to the bottom before you go to the other side.

I'm going to call the top-down plan unfeasible under current game conditions.  I'd love to be proven wrong.

Alright, new idea.

Put a cistern in at the bottom level of the map and make that its level.  There should be no pressure, that is.  You're going to need a lot of water down there, though.

Now you just have to Channel your way out into the lava.  Itis going to cost you one dwarf for each time you breach the wall of the volcano, but it might work.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:34:01 am by loser »
ΘπÆ┼

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 11:22:19 am »

You can lock out the magma by building a wall arround it and an aquaduct leading there. Pour some water ontop of it untill it is fully obsidian. Now channel all the stone so that there's a thin floor between you and the magma. Flood everything with 3 units of water. Now slowly channel the obsidian floor. Remember to add additional water when most of your 3's get replaced by 1's as the water fills up the holes. Drain your new pool untill there's about 3 water left and channel it again. Do this untill there's 1 level of magma left below the floor and build up from there. Then channel the floor without water this time and hope your miners are fast enough. I reccomend a thin line arround your construction and another at the edge of the caldera, you loose a couple of picks/masterwork clothing that way but you don't get any leftovers in your pipe. Remember to attach your tower to the group somewher higher up so that it doesn't collapse. Lock in everybody who had a mood already, build up some nice dining rooms and bedrooms and add a small farm area as well as a kitchen and a still. The area is now locked off for everybody who can't mine magma and there's nothing inside that can make your dwarves unhappy. If you keep them alive through their friends on the surface dieing, they should be able to live out their natural life and be among the first unmodded dwarves to die of old age as long as you micro their food well enough.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:06 am »

If your inside dwarves are too fond of a few of your outside dwarves you could still have a spiral inside your impenetrable fortress.
ΘπÆ┼

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 11:49:42 am »

These dwarves will have a lot of free time.  This means they'll breed like crazy.  Those kids aren't going to have already had strange moods, and so a lot of them will be going berserk and killing people.  You don't even need relationships between outside and inside dwarves to cause your fortress to spiral.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 12:11:06 pm »

These dwarves will have a lot of free time.  This means they'll breed like crazy.  Those kids aren't going to have already had strange moods, and so a lot of them will be going berserk and killing people.  You don't even need relationships between outside and inside dwarves to cause your fortress to spiral.
Moods going berserk shouldn't kill anyone if you've got passable room design.  And kids can be prevented by narrowing the selection of inside dwarves.

At its simplest, you make it an abby or nunnery.  If you must, you can include widows or widowers.  I think dwarves that already have lovers won't pick another if their lover dies, but I'm not certain of that. 

So the only problem should be the initial death of everyone else.
ΘπÆ┼

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 12:19:55 pm »

Scorchedcloister the Abbey of Fire? (Othlestoddom Kulet Ziril)

What would the dwarves inside be called?

Lavanun
Vulcanun
Magmonk

Oh them?  They're the vulcanuns of the abbey of fire.  They live their entire lives immersed in molten rock... Yikes.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 12:52:15 pm »

I am so going to do that...

Right after the Tower of Doom.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:01 am »

This entire discussion really has my brain working on a trap idea, although it would be difficult to implement as something renewable...

Basically, imagine using the 'splash' of lava after dropping something into it as a defensive weapon. The greatest challenge with this is that constructed walls/floors will just turn into (melt-able) stone when they fall, so it would be necessary to have an Obsidian farm in place to reload the trap.

This also makes me wonder about the limits of lava dislocation through collapse... If a 5x5x5 unworked stone block is dropped into a 5x5x5 lava pool, would the surface be littered with 125 units of lava? Would it spray into the air?
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.
Pages: 1 [2]