Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Volcano Tower?  (Read 2325 times)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano Tower?
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:45:35 am »

If I built supports that sink all the way down into the lava, is it plausible?

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano Tower?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:32:29 am »

Please, reformulate. I didn't undertand the idea.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

I think the basic question is, do supports melt in magma, and would they be able to hold up an entire tower if they were submerged in it?

In which case the answer to that is, I have no idea. xD I would suppose, if they don't act as "walls", they would need to be made from a magma-safe material. But that's a total guess.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:52:42 am »

Or just use wooden walls.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23:59 am »

Those would burn in magma. Either that or Toady lost his head for a second.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:51:32 am »

Firstly: no: the base of a magma pit or volcano is a special type of chasm: its not solid (magma pools are a different story)..

Secondly: its hard to 'lower' things in DF.

However, if you constructed your own personal hole, built the tower then pumped the magma in, it should work just fine.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:18:49 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 06:56:10 am »

1: Constructed wood walls do not burn. Nothing made in the B>C menu burns or can be destroyed other than by deconstruction.
2: A single support can hold up the entire map.

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:09:41 am »

Secondly: its hard to 'lower' things in wurm.

Wurm? Wrong game my friend =P

To answer the question, it would be nearly impossible to do such a thing. The only thing that doesn't deconstruct when dropped is an unmined area. Buildings from the B>C menu would deconstruct, there has been tests before that proved this. And it was mentioned that the bottom of the magma vent acts as a chasm for items, so anything that did fall would go buh bye if the bottom tiles are magma flows.

The only real way I can think of doing this has been mentioned, to dig your own 'chasm' and fill it from a magma source, preferably one that replenishes.

Edit: actually it could work if you had an underground magma source that was only a few floors thick, and wasn't a magma flow. You would just have to collapse a pillar of unmined rock into the magma, and profit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:14:31 am by Seizures »

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:42:21 am »

To answer the question, it would be nearly impossible to do such a thing. The only thing that doesn't deconstruct when dropped is an unmined area. Buildings from the B>C menu would deconstruct, there has been tests before that proved this. And it was mentioned that the bottom of the magma vent acts as a chasm for items, so anything that did fall would go buh bye if the bottom tiles are magma flows.

The only real way I can think of doing this has been mentioned, to dig your own 'chasm' and fill it from a magma source, preferably one that replenishes.

Edit: actually it could work if you had an underground magma source that was only a few floors thick, and wasn't a magma flow. You would just have to collapse a pillar of unmined rock into the magma, and profit.

Know what, never mind. I'll just make a tower around the volcano. Awesome lava pit of death anyone?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:19:35 am »

I have a pyramid that's being constructed around a magma vent...

http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pyramidundergroundod7.png

I'm trying to figure out the best way to reshape the vent though.  I may have to start over in a different area and dig out the magma dumping it into a chasm or something, partially cap the layer above the base and channel out a round area where I can continue to build up from to the level of the old pipe.  I could then insert floodgates along the height for various uses and the pipe wouldn't be so random.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:24:46 am »

Know what, never mind. I'll just make a tower around the volcano. Awesome lava pit of death anyone?
If you build the tower so that the only things holding it up are a small number of otherwise unreachable supports, you can then have an Evil Mastermind Fortress of Doom Self-Destruct Lever that drops the whole damn castle into the volcano.

Sure you could just use a single support, but a tower over a volcano held up by spidery legs is more appealing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:42:28 am by loser »
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:52 am »

I think you can also drop water onto the magma. This will create an obsidian wall, which behaves exactly as unmined rock, and if unsupported, will drop right down to the bottom and stay intact. You would still need to have a bottom in the magma pool, or it would fall out the bottom of the world, I think.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:56 am »

If you build the tower so that the only things holding it up are a small number of otherwise unreachable supports, you can then have an Evil Mastermind Fortress of Doom Self-Destruct Level that drops the whole damn castle into the volcano.

Sure you could just use a single support, but a tower over a volcano held up by spidery legs is more appealing.

So going to put that inside the castle. Honestly, I think that the collapse would crush my underground lodgings too.

I just got an awesome idea. Picture the Fallout series, in Dwarf Fortress.

@Andir: Where can I get that visualizer?

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:41:34 am »

There's no way to cap the bottom of the volcano, either.  Falling rock has no latteral cohesion.

However, if the bottom is more narrow than the top, or even if the middle is more narrow than the top, then pouring water in might build you the stacks of stone you want to see sticking out of the lava.  They just won't stick out over the open path leading to the bottomless bottom z-level.
So going to put that inside the castle. Honestly, I think that the collapse would crush my underground lodgings too.

Lever.  I meant 'lever'.

One lever drops the whole damn tower into the volcano along with all its workshops, henchment lodgings, henchmen, traps, tricks and treasure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:45:00 am by loser »
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:20 am »

I know. I'm going to put the lever inside.
Pages: [1] 2