Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dining hall" building  (Read 1292 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dining hall" building
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:25:46 pm »

Back when I first started with DF, I felt this would be a fun idea. I still kind of do, enough to mention it.

Currrently, multidwarf dining is handled (as we all know) by a publically owned dining room with lotsa tables. That's all right, but I'd love to see the option to create large, feasthall style table designated much like roads, bridges, and farm plots are designated. It would use tables and mugs as components, and the table itself could probably store prepared meals and drinks (1 per place setting or something), allowing it to double as a limited food stockpile. It'd make public dining rooms a bit cooler, and allow the option to make them different from private rooms, as well.

Thoughts?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.
Re: "Dining hall" building
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:07:44 pm »

Not top priority but definitely seconded.

It could also give dwarves a task for useless partying. Have a "Hosts Feast" where dwarves could come and dine together. Also perhaps nobles would host feasts out of their own pocket when economy is active, and far down the road it could be a place for political intrigue

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:33:45 pm »

Musical instruments could also be used, which generates noise music that gives a happy thought to anyone passing within 4 tiles. Once the building is constructed, you can switch the building between "use for dining" "use for music" and other use-toggles.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:22 pm »

Musical instruments could also be used, which generates noise music that gives a happy thought to anyone passing within 4 tiles. Once the building is constructed, you can switch the building between "use for dining" "use for music" and other use-toggles.
Fun, but rather than them being a switch, it should be more of a list, so that both can be dis- or enabled.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:43:05 am »

Back when I first started with DF, I felt this would be a fun idea. I still kind of do, enough to mention it.

Currrently, multidwarf dining is handled (as we all know) by a publically owned dining room with lotsa tables. That's all right, but I'd love to see the option to create large, feasthall style table designated much like roads, bridges, and farm plots are designated. It would use tables and mugs as components, and the table itself could probably store prepared meals and drinks (1 per place setting or something), allowing it to double as a limited food stockpile. It'd make public dining rooms a bit cooler, and allow the option to make them different from private rooms, as well.

Thoughts?

Putting the six million mugs my stonecrafters make to use would be great indeed. But designate-from-object(or position) is a far, far more elegant and flexible tool than the annoying and limited way of designating farms, bridges etc. I would rather keep the way of designating, but let the player assign items to rooms, specifically for public rooms (assign loose items like mugs (in a way much like you choose items for wells, etc, but also if the room/building already exists), place furniture like tables) and in general for private rooms (Lorbam Melbilbisol is allowed to have a private bed, a cabinet, a weapon rack and 2 pipes). Those loose items would then be put in the furniture if available, or scattered on the floor if not and used when appropriate (as already happens). If they would somehow be removed from the room, they can be put back.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:53:44 am »

All craft items should have some use apart from being nice to own (wearable rings...), so I wholeheartedly approve of the suggestions contained herein.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.