Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another economy suggestion: Coffers and "vault" rooms  (Read 1167 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Another economy suggestion: Coffers and "vault" rooms
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:04:22 pm »

Instead of just having the coin stockpile be for unowned coins, why not have the option to make a "vault" room for owned coins? All coins that aren't being used go there. One could even make a "banking" job or a "banking" noble, depending on which is better suited, who will do all the coin hauling to and from rooms for the dwarves. Hell, give him his own (non player controlled) assistant haulers so it's more efficient. Owned coins would be put into coffers and sorted according to owner. If there are enough coffers in the room, the stacks will be split up so that there's a coffer full of a dwarf's personal coins for each dwarf.

Here's how I think it would work:
Urist McBuyer needs money.
Urist McBuyer works.
Urist McBuyer gets paid. The money goes immediately into the bank.
Urist McBuyer needs money. He requests some quickly from the bank (probably not requiring him to do anything - dwarves probably have a system or sometihng). A non-player-controlled hauler delivers it to his room, where he uses it as he sees fit.
Urist McBuyer spends some of his coin and saves the rest in his room for later on his "break" time.

If your fort gets too large, you can even implement a system somehow where you have dozens upon dozens of coffers in your room, and like stated above, each one belongs to a personal dwarf - but no coffers are used in personal rooms. The banker would keep track of transactions, the dwarves would use fake money, and just like the gold standard, each dwarf would have a certain amount of coins in their name that they never get their hands on. This would be more efficient, since all a dwarf needs to do is request fake money from the bank, and then the same amount of coins are moved from one coffer to another, which is about three squares away. The dwarf never needs to use his coins, just get fake money of the same amount from the bank, and the bank will keep track of how much money each dwarf has. Very efficient.

Having extra nobles or non-player-controlled haulers that come with the tax collector makes sure you don't have to have too many dedicated haulers.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:06:08 pm by Jetman123 »
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another economy suggestion: Coffers and "vault" rooms
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:23 pm »

I don't get these strange dwarves that know nothing but the hauling of money? It doesn't really fit. Such dwarves are the same as a dwarf with all labours but "coin hauling", which would be a good addition to the hauling list, turned off. Unless they somehow don't eat, sleep, drink, and take up AI cycles.

Having a dwarf bank would be nice though. I'm pretty sure it has already been suggested.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:36:48 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3507.0  I've been mentioning these for a while now~

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

Sorry, didn't know there was another topic.

And there are specialized haulers because I don't know about you, but it's _really_ annoying to me to have to have five dedicated haulers doing NOTHING BUT HAULING just to keep the economy running when they could actually be doing something useful. Why not have dwarves you don't control and don't need to worry about do the job?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:50:20 am »

We have actual formatting, you know.

Anyway, I would like to see more uses of money in general. Perhaps the manager position should be a proper full-time job, and this dwarf would pay wages in either coins or fake currency to dwarves (or authorize payments into their coffers) when they finish a given job?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:23:52 pm »

Sorry, didn't know there was another topic.

And there are specialized haulers because I don't know about you, but it's _really_ annoying to me to have to have five dedicated haulers doing NOTHING BUT HAULING just to keep the economy running when they could actually be doing something useful. Why not have dwarves you don't control and don't need to worry about do the job?
If they don't eat, don't tantrum, don't require rooms and teleport from place to place, go ahead.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.