Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crafts vs Arrows  (Read 1133 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crafts vs Arrows
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

When starting, I prefer not to bring an anvil because I can easily buy one three seasons in, and I typically don't need to do any smelting by then.  I use my points on the characters. That said...

To pay for the anvil, it seems much more economical to make arrows than crafts.  A few quick stacks easily pays for it.  Also during trading, I see dwarves sometimes selling stacks of just 25 arrows worth nearly 100,000 monies. 

Is this intentional?

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
Re: Crafts vs Arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:50:39 pm »

I assume so. Masterwork Iron Bolts, decorated with gems or, for that matter, anything, sell for stupendous amounts of money for what they actually are. *shrug* I used them to buy out merchants, that is, until I got besieged a couple of times, I still have hundreds of "Narrow" items lying about...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:11:35 pm »

Bolt prices are, presumably, buggy, since every decoration applies to each item in the stack (so a decoration that increases value by 200, applied to a stack of 25, increases value by 5000, despite requiring the same resources and time as applying the same decoration to a single mug).

There's no real reason to bring an anvil with you at the start unless you anticipate finding plenty of usable ore (i.e. you started with magma and a sedementary rock layer).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »

I assume you mean bone or wood bolts?

Right now, bone carving is slightly unfinished - you get 5x the bones worth of arrows (so 5 bones give 25 arrows, 10 gives 50 and so on) while crafts just give you randomly 1 - 3 crafts per stack no matter how many are in the stack. This means it's better to make bolts if you have more then 3 bones in the stack which is pretty much all stacks of bones.

I think eventually bonecarving will be fixed to produce the correct number of crafts out of the bones, at which point it will be better to carve them into crafts to sell.

As far as decorating ammo... that's obviously bugged and gives you totally ridiculous amounts of monies.

Either way I usually let my marksdwarves eat the bolts and buy my anvil with stone crafts made from the massive piles of stone laying all over the place.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:46:44 am »

As an experiment, I played with ammo decorating and made a fortress worth over 1 million within the first month or so. Bugged.

I still decorate the odd piece of ammo, to raise my fortress value and attract gobrins. It ain't hard to buy out a caravan with actual crafts though, don't resort to cheesy ammo trading :)
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:18 am »

I prefer craft trading anyway, it helps get rid of extra items man. Plus ammo is heavy, cant get rid of as much

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 03:50:13 pm »

At the start, kill the camel.

10x Camel Bone = 0☼

Make bolts.

50x Bone Bolt = 50☼

Kill the cat (why the fuck did you bring a damn cat?)

50x Bone Bolt = 50☼
3x Cat Bone = 0☼

Decorate the bolts with the cat bones

50x <<Bone Bolt>> (encrusted with bone) = 550☼

That's kind of best case, though, because camels are kind of boney. 

However, if your bone crafter scores 50x -«Bone Bolt»- then you're looking at 1050☼ right there.

Let me know if I got that math wrong.

(By the way, a stack of 50x ☼«bone bolt»☼ is 6050☼.)

(Wait a minute, how come ☼ doesn't show up?  That's kind of an important character.)
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 03:48:58 am »

(Wait a minute, how come ☼ doesn't show up?  That's kind of an important character.)

Shows up fine for me, I'd check your computer.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 08:36:21 am »

Shows up fine for me, I'd check your computer.
Ah-ha!

It's fine for me at home.  It was just at work that I couldn't see the dang thing.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.