Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oviparous (egg-laying) creatures  (Read 3066 times)

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
Oviparous (egg-laying) creatures
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:02 pm »

Can we have some sort of a [LAYS_EGGS] creature token, along with eggs as a new object? I was thinking about this when megabeast breeding was most recently mentioned, when I realized that DF dragons having live young would be a bit strange.

Eggs, of course, could also be eaten.

Edit: Yes, I'm well aware that one of the bloats mentions eggs. That one struck me more as being for the purposes of food than for breeding.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:38:48 pm by MaxVance »

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oviparous (egg-laying) creatures
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:03:59 pm »

Heck why stop there. There are a whole host of exotic reproductive methods not yet covered in dwarf forttress. Larval stages and Pupal stages for one. Parasite implants (Mindflayers or Insects of Shaggi.) Crossbreeding could be interesting if limited somewhat ,of course magic lets one bend or break such petty limits(owlbears). Spores or seeds as reproduction. Even the ability to have eusocial hive creatures  with different physical capacities, but still one race.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:19:48 pm »

Or, we could just be happy with being able to domesticate birds and cook their eggs.
Or teaching our grand-mother dwarves to suck eggs.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:09:21 pm »

The lack of chickens is a bit disconcerting.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:39:43 pm »

We have cats and dogs. Who need chickens?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00:14 am »

Do remember, a chicken is perfectly capable of laying one egg every day or so.  Current egg production is ~300 eggs a year, 100 years ago it was ~83, due to selective breeding.

However, they really are only good for one or two "laying seasons" (a year?) then they're butchered.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:58:48 am »

I love the idea of chickens and other egg-laying creatures. But wouldn't chickens produce incredible amounts of eggs? I mean, an egg a day seems a bit "overpowered". T'would have been better if it produced one "some chicken eggs" item every third day or so.
This is -ing good wood!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:46 am »

Even then, we would need some way of containing creatures. Unless you have a pit with the floor made from a grate, and eggs are small enough to fall through grates...

That would be kinda cool. Still, I think we need some way of containing creaturs before we add MORE that make tons of items.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:26:35 am »

Do remember, a chicken is perfectly capable of laying one egg every day or so.  Current egg production is ~300 eggs a year, 100 years ago it was ~83, due to selective breeding.

However, they really are only good for one or two "laying seasons" (a year?) then they're butchered.

In dwarf fortress, there's no way they'll last that long
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:54:08 am »

Why not? stick em in a cage in a locked room and they could survive a apocalyptic magma flood. Anyhow cave chickens do not make much sense. For humans and elves sure, but for dwarves they would at least have to keep them outside.

It would make more sense to have some sort of dwarven equivalent. Such as the purring maggots we have instead of cows.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:37 am »

Can we have some sort of a [LAYS_EGGS] creature token, along with eggs as a new object? I was thinking about this when megabeast breeding was most recently mentioned, when I realized that DF dragons having live young would be a bit strange.
I wouldn't find it strange to think of dragons as having a stable body-temperature, and bearing live young. Dragons "sleeping" or hibernating for a few centuries while the countryside repopulates and reaccumulates wealth is normal dragon lore.

But the lays-eggs token would be very nice. I can't wait to play with a group of egg-laying dwarves!
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:51:58 pm »

Dwarves don't have to have chickens. Cave swallows could be used like cave spiders and purring maggots, in that they would lay eggs and dwarves could gather them into their stockpiles. Likewise, the egg of the giant cave swallow could be a dwarven delicacy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:15:54 pm »

In dwarf fortress, there's no way they'll last that long

I'm not sure if you're referring to the overpopulation issue, or not, but if you are, of those 300 eggs, none would be fertile.  Not unless you've got a rooster in your yard.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:27 pm »

I assume he meant more that it would be a hassle to deal with having that many items for the game to track.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:17 pm »

Seeing as we already track 300,000 stones...
Pages: [1] 2