Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Trap  (Read 800 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Animal Trap
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:25:43 pm »

Well, thos stupid elf keep on selling me tons of useless wooden weapons... But, in their last trip, the also brought a lot of caged animals with some big and aggressive enough to kill some goblins. I buy them, and was ready to buid the cage in front of my forteress, connected to a lever inside of my fortress when I thought: There must be a simpler and cheaper way to use these animals! And I found! I'm proud to present you the Sheb's Giant Lion Trap!

Top view.
Code: [Select]
+++
#+>
+++

#=channel
+=floor
>=downward stairway

Side View

_  _  __
#L+/##     

L= Giant Lion (Also work with any big, aggressive, goblin-killing creature, given the door is strong enough)
+= Door set on "Tightly closed" (ie. Non Pet-passable)
/= Up stairs

Just use the channel as a Pit, pit the creatures in it, and wait for the goblins, when they're there, just set the door on "Pet-passable" and enjoy!
You can add wall around the pit to protect the creature from (cross)bowgoblins.

I just set up three of those trap (1 giant Lion, 1 giant Tiger and 1 Grizzly) and I'm looking foward for the next goblin invasion to try it!

Do you think it will work?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Re: Animal Trap
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that tame animals will flee from hostile creatures unless chained. I usually just let them wander around since it's kinda cool to have a giant tiger milling about, so I haven't really noticed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »

I think that tame animals, when attacked, will fight back.
also possible:

...g...
---^---
.C...C.

with
- = wall
g = goblin
^ = pressure plate set to goblin, linked to cages
C = caged lion
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:46:51 pm »

Er, well that does seem to be the case, but I think they flee unless they are attacked first.
...I don't want to derail the topic, but if this is the case...do babies attack?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:48:18 pm »

martinuzz, I knew your design, but it's a hell lot more work, my trap is exeptionnaly cheap: one door and a few digging. Also, I can put 2, 5, 10... animals in the pit. But it's true that if tamed giant Tiger flew away from some goblin, my trap are exeptionnaly useless.  ;D

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.