Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet More Food Suggestions  (Read 650 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet More Food Suggestions
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:20:41 am »

Yeah, I know.  However, I haven't seen these suggestions yet, and I think they might be amusing.  For the record, I like the fact that dwarves make and eat meals that are not only repulsive, but seem to violate the laws of physics.

That being the case, I think it would be amusing if every time a butcherable_nonstandard creature died, there was a small chance (perhaps 1 in 100, or even 1 in 500) that a butcher would bring it back to his/her workshop.  The food created from this would not be called 'Goblin Meat' or 'Dwarf Meat,' but rather 'Dubious Substance' or 'Secret Ingredient' or plain ol' 'Mysterious Meat.'  This would open the way for 'Dubious Substance Stew' and such.  As an added bonus, perhaps the meal would have a chance of making the dwarf nauseous.

My second suggestion is to implement bar fights.  It seems to fit the popular mythology of dwarves that they are not only hard drinkin' and hard workin', but hard fightin' as well.  Perhaps if a low-toughness dwarf drinks extremely high quality liquor, there would be a chance of him entering something similar to a tantrum (Urist CraftKnife is in high spirits!).  He would start hitting other dwarves and start breaking things - generally being a bit of a nuisance. Superdwarvenly tough dwarves should probably be immune, with Unbelievably tough dwarves only having a very small chance (perhaps 1%) of entering such a mood when drinking Legendary alcohol.  Hell, you could double the percentage each time you go down a level in toughness, so Extremely tough dwarves have a 1% chance of getting drunk with exceptional liquor and a 2% chance with the legendary stuff.  This would mean that non-tough dwarves would have a 16% chance with legendary alcohol, an 8% chance with exceptional, and so on.

Of course, this would mean that after a few years (when you have a Legendary Brewer) the immigrants to the fortress and any other dwarves that haven't had a chance for some stat boosts would end up spending a lot of time in jail.  Another side effect would be that it would be to the player's advantage to zone drinking areas as meeting zones (can anyone say tavern?) since you'd probably want your fortress guards hanging out around the drinkers.

To counteract this - since getting drunk and breakin' stuff is a pretty standard thing for dwarves to do ('What are they gonna make illegal next?  Bein' under five foot an' refusin' ta shave?') - perhaps they only get punished for more major crimes, like destroying a masterwork or breaking the baron's nose.  So maybe this should wait until the crime and punishment arc.

But I still think it would be funny.

Edit:

I forgot.  Ideas inspired by this thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127460

Link is worksafe, website is not.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:32:04 am by Sunday »

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet More Food Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:33:29 am »

if you have ever eaten meat bought in a supermarket or a lower quality restaurant I can assure you that mystery meat has been on the menu.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:55:41 am »

If nothing else, you've found a fantastic collection of avatars.

Bar fights would be a great thing to add if dwarves drank anywhere but in the warehousing, which some sort of drinking zone, or use of mugs in some way, would allow.  This would probably go along with adding more visible implications of relationships, especially grudges.

As for butchering - yes.  Or make butchering a toggleable option ingame, so you could choose on the fly to stew up some gobbos or elves.  Especially since Toady says his elves eat people the they capture, and goblins certainly do, if they were playable races, allowing them to cannibalize intelligent creatures without allowing humans and dwarves to automatically would be a great feature.  And, as you described it, sometimes the butcher could defy convention and hack up something he's not supposed to.  Maybe based on the butcher's personality as well.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:50:11 am »

Lard Pudding made me giggle.  Don't we have that...almost?

Now, SMOH Drakkar, he sells sausages like that one that's suspicious (he be a distant relative of CMOT Dibbler).