Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Put that food down! Theres plenty of rats in the vermin cage!  (Read 2556 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile

So i set up a little rat/lizard re-education program where my trapper/animal trainer catches vermin, tames them and sorts them into cages (he caught a firefly once, put that in a terrarium next to the beds but it got out or 'despawned'  :(). Now every now and then an occupied animal trap is sitting on the stockpile waiting for taming or theres a cage full of untamed vermin. Some dwarf gets hungry, walks past the barrels of food and devours an unsuspecting rodent or reptile. This wouldn't be as odd if the dwarf had a preference for eating rats or something, but they never do. Sometimes it's the trapper/animal trainer himself who swallows a rat. I guess he knows the quality of the animals he catches....

It's gotten to the point that on a newer fortress i keep a cageful of untamed vermin as an alternate food supply. Seems my dwarves want to be Discworld dwarves... So, wheres the rock hard dwarf bread? I want a Breadmaster Captain of the Gaurd.  :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:08:58 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Re: Put that rat down! Theres plenty of food in the stockpile!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:16:20 am »

I've had the same problem for a while. My current fort has a population of 195 and it's impossible to get critters tamed before a hungry dwarf walks in and gives the captured rat/bat/cardinal the "chocolate bunny" treatment.

So much for the Give Every Dwarf a Pet project.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:14 am »

I'm starting to think it may have to do with the lack of tables since it's just a starting fort and i'm trying to dig it out first.

I have a cage full of random vermin (had a couple lungfishes in there for a while) and my guy had managed to tame a single lizard before the feeding frenzy started, poor thing was stuck in the same cage as the 'food' vermin and every now and then one of his neighbors would get eaten right in front of him. Needless to say i moved the poor fella to a different cage where he can keep my clerk company as she tallies the number of vermin we have.

At least my food stockpile is safe, and the extra food 'stockpile' is a bonus.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:55:07 am »

Forbid them,when it comes to taming lock them and the trainer into a room with some food and unforbid them.
Hope that works.More likely the trainer will get hungry and get a serious case of exotic munchies.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:58:04 am »

Apparently two-legged rhino lizards go good with tartar sauce.  :D

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:44:08 pm »

I was a little ticked when my dwarves started eating the fire snakes I was catching for extraction. "Hey! You owe me 500☼, you scoundrel!"
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 03:15:14 pm »

I've had the same problem for a while. My current fort has a population of 195 and it's impossible to get critters tamed before a hungry dwarf walks in and gives the captured rat/bat/cardinal the "chocolate bunny" treatment.
You mean like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCrGnd3ljqA ?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »

Interesting. I have never had this problem. Do they still get the unhappy thoughts from having to find vermin, or is it fine since the vermin creatures are already trapped?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:30 pm »

I've noticed that some dwarves will prefer to eat caged vermin over anything else.  I don't know why.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »

I have the opposite problem, I captured some rats and lizards and tried to put them near the food stockpile so the dwarves would eat them to get rid of them - no luck. Tamed or untamed, they never got eaten.

I eventually gave up and smashed them with a drawbridge.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:07:38 pm »

Interesting. I have never had this problem. Do they still get the unhappy thoughts from having to find vermin, or is it fine since the vermin creatures are already trapped?

I've received no complaints on the quality of my 'food'.  :)

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure this behavior is akin to the French eating snails. Some dwarves just like particular varieties of vermin and will go out of their way to eat them. AFAIK, dwarves will have a preference in their profile for whatever vermin they choose to eat, but I wouldn't take my word for that.

Wait, what?
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:11:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure this behavior is akin to the French eating snails. Some dwarves just like particular varieties of vermin and will go out of their way to eat them. AFAIK, dwarves will have a preference in their profile for whatever vermin they choose to eat, but I wouldn't take my word for that.

Wait, what?

None of my dwarves have a vermin eating preference on their profile. All of them have eaten vermin from my vermin cage.
Heh, i once modded in pond snails so those dwarves could have been officially french.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 02:34:36 am »

Well, it's not the lack of chairs or tables. One of my miners just grabbed a rat out of the cage and bought it to his room to eat. Live. Dwarves, they'll eat anything.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 04:34:07 am »

Fried rat, anyone?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2